Waived: [TOR] G Ilya Samsonov waived by the Maple Leafs (cleared)

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Whey I said "2.4M remains on the cap," I meant that 2.4M of Samsanov's 3.55M salary would still count towards the team's cap.
oooooh okay sorry man I got ya

???

$1.15M in cap rebate, $2.4M in dead cap.
yeah I see it now, I guess yesterday I looked at like you were saying 2.4m remained on the cap for the leafs to use. sorry my mistake

Burkeocet

Nov 2, 2019
That victory lap thread last year about how Leafs goaltending was solved because Samsonov was good was goddamn hilarious at the time as a Caps fan and it's aged like a fine wine for me, oh man.
It was solved temporarily. They got good goaltending last year when they needed it badly. Hindsight is 20/20 but it’s always funny to see dudes act like they psychically saw this coming when you know you didn’t. Few did. Samsonov was good last year and they would have been dumb not to resign. Nobody predicted Samsonov would collapse amd get sent to the minors.

Goaltending in the NHL is a crapshoot. It’s no different for anybody else but leafs haters love to pretend the franchise is dumb for resigning a guy to a 1 year, low risk contract after a good season. Lol

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Isn’t this the same issue year after year in Toronto ? Good team / bad team (Toronto) their goalie is always under the gun from the media. I’m not saying it’s the medias fault this time with Samsonov, but one has to look at a trend going back to the 90’s to figure out goalies lose their confidence playing in Toronto.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Isn’t this the same issue year after year in Toronto ? Good team / bad team (Toronto) their goalie is always under the gun from the media. I’m not saying it’s the medias fault this time with Samsonov, but one has to look at a trend going back to the 90’s to figure out goalies lose their confidence playing in Toronto.
Short answer, no. The defence is bad and goalies are bad narrative have generally been incorrect. Until this year. Andersen was great for the leafs, Campbell was generally decent, Samsonov put up a .919 last year and was excellent in game 7 vs Tampa. This year they’ve been bad both on defence and goaltending.

Reactions: The Flying Octopus

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Short answer, no. The defence is bad and goalies are bad narrative have generally been incorrect. Until this year. Andersen was great for the leafs, Campbell was generally decent, Samsonov put up a .919 last year and was excellent in game 7 vs Tampa. This year they’ve been bad both on defence and goaltending.
The big difference I am seeing is in the clean shots. Last yr he was stopping those, this yr he is wiffing on everything.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
It was solved temporarily. They got good goaltending last year when they needed it badly. Hindsight is 20/20 but it’s always funny to see dudes act like they psychically saw this coming when you know you didn’t. Few did. Samsonov was good last year and they would have been dumb not to resign. Nobody predicted Samsonov would collapse amd get sent to the minors.

Goaltending in the NHL is a crapshoot. It’s no different for anybody else but leafs haters love to pretend the franchise is dumb for resigning a guy to a 1 year, low risk contract after a good season. Lol
Goaltending in the NHL is a crapshoot because GMs bank on the one year a bad goaltender is good and on the one year a good goaltender is bad. Samsonov being an example of the former, and Talbot being an example of the latter.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
shouldn’t have extended this guy. But it’s only a 2.5 mil allocation mistske.
He was absolutely worth extending after his season last year. We're just thankful it was only a 1 year extension, that was huge.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
the only good g leafs had last 19 years was andersen but hr had a lot of injuries issues last 2 season in toronto and if we watch andersen last 3, it was the rigjt thing to do. The problem is leafs dont never really fix it.

took a big risk with campbell and no plan B, dubas tried to trade for fleury but the price was knies

next year tooka huge risk with murray and samsonov. Murray looked great until he get injured again and samsonov was fine the remaininf of season but samsonov is nothing else than a NHL back up and come playoff he played like a back up. he was able to look great one game and looking trash next 2 and hes te reason #1 why leafs was losing 2-0 after 2 game with at least 2 weak goal in both game.

this season with lack of option, tre goea with samsonov and woll...

but the reality, if you want a real good #1, youre better to draft him and develop him because its just so hard to find...

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Can walk away if awarded over 4 million I think.
Thanks. Then the club should have walked and allocated that cap to an experienced goalie. The Leafs are way too good a club right now to waste years with bad (risky) goalies.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
The guy was really good last year, no brainer to extend for one year.

Been horrible this year but it just shows how much of a mental game this is for goalies. Of course leafs have sucked defensively too. Way better in prior years - opting to go for more offence this year was understandable given the scoring struggles in playoffs, but in hindsight doesn’t look like it’s working out well so far.

Reactions: Burkeocet

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009

Dude, why do you think the Caps punted on a first round goaltender? Plenty of people saw it, Leafs fans didn't want to listen, tale as old as time with new acquisitions...

Samsonov started good and by November there was a "Leafs goaltending crow thread" where we were invited to own up to being woefully wrong about them, and everyone pretty collectively said "wait and see" and now here we are...

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
He is a mess mentally which likely had a lot to do with getting ripped apart by his GM at arbitration.

Smart move by Treliving prioritizing adding Klingberg to an already soft defense before taking care of their goalie situation.

Burkeocet

Nov 2, 2019
Dude, why do you think the Caps punted on a first round goaltender? Plenty of people saw it, Leafs fans didn't want to listen, tale as old as time with new acquisitions...

Samsonov started good and by November there was a "Leafs goaltending crow thread" where we were invited to own up to being woefully wrong about them, and everyone pretty collectively said "wait and see" and now here we are...
Funny how guys like Gibson have been bad for 4+ seasons and get a pass or Skinner is one of the worst starters in e league yet the leafs are morons for signing a first round pick goalie to a 1 year after a solid season. Lol. It’s a very low risk deal, I’m sure they regret nothing.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Florida? The team with a 2 time vezina winner in net? Maybe that might be relevant to the "with no goaltending" part of the post you quoted.

You realize Boston had the Vezina winner last year and still lost?

What happened to the 2 time Vezina winner in the Finals? He was the worst Finals goalie in the last decade right?

I don't think winning a Vezina 7 years ago makes you a lifetime elite goalie. I think they had a goalie that got hot which can happen with any goalie. It's happened with Matt Murray in Pittsburgh, Binnington in St. Louis as a rookie, etc.

For example, MAF won the Vezina much more recently than Bobrovsky - and he can be had for pretty cheap as a backup goalie.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad