Waived: [TOR] G Ilya Samsonov waived by the Maple Leafs (cleared)

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Watching Samsonov play reminds me of early 2000's Dan Cloutier, post-Lidstrom goal. You can just see that there is zero confidence there, and any and every shot on net feels like it could go in.

That reminds me of Jonas Gustavsson on the Oilers. He couldn’t stop anything. Every shot had a chance.

And most recently Campbell.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Big trend recently of games projecting to be complete shootouts with lines of 7 and 7.5 staying well under.

Up until today I didn't have the cajones to take the under on (2) defensively terrible teams with atrocious goaltending.

Finally got courageous it and it paid off. Not saying to do this as a strategy moving forward, just a trend I'm noticing. And Detroit getting in late and both teams playing yesterday swayed the decision for me. Expected a sloppy offensive game and that's kind of what it was. Kane getting hurt early probably helped the cause a little bit but hey.. lucky to be good sometimes
Congratulations the Leafs could only muster 2 goals while Sammy lost another key game and Detroit scored 4.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Could and should be back on waivers. His career is done for now. He’s mentally done and his play is the worst I’ve seen in modern day hockey. Never seen a save % that low in my life and still getting nhl starts. Epic fail.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Could and should be back on waivers. His career is done for now. He’s mentally done and his play is the worst I’ve seen in modern day hockey. Never seen a save % that low in my life and still getting nhl starts. Epic fail.
To be fair, he had an amazing game (for his standards) last night, his trade value went up, from; nothing to a bag of pucks and an autographed jersey from the trading team's best 3rd liner.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Campbell was far worse. Also Samsonov played fine last night. The leafs defense was to blame esp late. He bailed out his team with a crazy save and couldn’t get the other save after the brutal turnover. 3 goals at the end of the day is not bad.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Campbell was far worse. Also Samsonov played fine last night. The leafs defense was to blame esp late. He bailed out his team with a crazy save and couldn’t get the other save after the brutal turnover. 3 goals at the end of the day is not bad.
3 goals on 21 shots for a .870 save%. Stop making excuses for this kind of trash. He failed so bad on the breakaway goal by flopping after missing a poke check. He let in a goal with 2 minutes left. Gotta make a save. He sucks.

Reactions: Fatass

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
3 goals on 21 shots for a .870 save%. Stop making excuses for this kind of trash. He failed so bad on the breakaway goal by flopping after missing a poke check. He let in a goal with 2 minutes left. Gotta make a save. He sucks.

Which, again, was only an issue because the team in front of him was somehow unable to put more than two past James Reimer and a Wings team that was running on fumes and little to no warmup time prior to the game. Should've been an easy one for the Leafs, even with Ilya in net, but they gave him next to nothing and expected perfection. :dunno:

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Not exactly Samsonov's fault that the team in front of him only scored two against a team that didn't get to the arena until, what, 7pm last night? :laugh:

Can't pin that on the goalie.
Not exactly the skaters fault that Samsonov had an .870 Sv% against a team that didn't get to the arena until, what, 7pm last night? 😂

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Well then the Leaf skaters are all overpaid and overrated, right?

I just hope the coaches feel the same way as you do and put him in net vs the Oilers tomorrow.

Some of them definitely are, no argument there.

I just think they should've been able to put up more of a fight against Detroit last night, and they didn't. Maybe that's on the players, maybe that's on coaching, who knows.

Beats me who they're going to throw to the wolves in Edmonton tomorrow. Probably Jones.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I can't imagine the Leafs will move forward with a completely unproven wildcard in Woll (who has less than 27 NHL games) and no credible starting or backup goaltender. Inconceivable.

Coming off a high-ankle sprain, i expect the Leafs will force Woll into the lineup too early and he re-injures it. High ankle sprains are the absolute worst to recover from. Especially is you have to push off it.

Leafs need a goaltender more than anything else.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

You haven’t watched Husso or Campbell much this season from the sound of it.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad