Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Ryan Reaves to sign with the Maple Leafs (3 years, $1.35M AAV)

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
That 300k has helped. It allows us to carry an extra player on the roster. We had McCabe hurt but not hurt enough to go on LTIR.
Because of that 300K we were able to dress a full lineup while he was out.
We're essentially playing a man short every time they play Reaves. Guy is horrible out there.

Reactions: cyris

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Only logical reason is that $300K savings to ice a complete lineup. But I will say Trev is terrible, just look at the Flames
Yeah, Gregor does the same thing for less- in this case 300k less. The Flames have had a poor start 2-7-1.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Has any of the free agents the Leafs got in the off season worked out? Domi is meh, Bertuzzi floating like his uncle Todd and Reaves, what does he do?

Reactions: Ragdoll

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
"Toughest guy in the league" (lol) a complete ghost after another dirty marchand trip

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
That's your GMs team who was in charge of Flames last season. I would be worried as a Leafs fan.
I am not worried. What would be the point of that? Do you worry about your team, or do you just enjoy the games? I just enjoy the games any amount of worrying, complain or whatever has no affect on the team.

Last edited:

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
That 300k has helped. It allows us to carry an extra player on the roster. We had McCabe hurt but not hurt enough to go on LTIR.
Because of that 300K we were able to dress a full lineup while he was out.

Doesn't help long-term... I'd rather ice the best team than have an extra player in the press box until Timmins comes back, even if you play down a game, it is fine, emergency recalls are a thing.

What would have helped was the 300k from Reaves and the better player in Lafferty, and I think most of the "we need a tough guy like Reaves so we don't get targetted" is finally coming around too.

Reactions: TS Quint

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Reaves was never going to be evaluated on his point production.

He's here to provide toughness because there is none anywhere else in the forward group and to hopefully provide some energy and a voice on a Leafs bench that is basically a black hole of either for those things.

Just look at the shots of the Leafs bench after Marchand's trip on Liljegren. Like a morgue, everyone sitting dutifully waiting for their next shift. Except Reaves.

(Caveat: By no means is this post an endorsement for Reaves or suggesting it was a good signing, just an explanation of why he was likely brought in)

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
This is exactly what happened with Pittsburgh and Reaves. Toughness is a team wide concept, one shitty player can’t do it by himself. And no, Domi isn’t tough and neither is Bertuzzi.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He's here to provide toughness because there is none anywhere else in the forward group and to hopefully provide some energy and a voice on a Leafs bench that is basically a black hole of either for those things.

Just look at the shots of the Leafs bench after Marchand's trip on Liljegren. Like a morgue, everyone sitting dutifully waiting for their next shift. Except Reaves.

(Caveat: By no means is this post an endorsement for Reaves or suggesting it was a good signing, just an explanation of why he was likely brought in)

I just don't think that kind of thing works with bottom six guys, and in particular, 4th line guys.

And to be clear, I'm not just picking on Reaves.

We just signed Zack MacEwan for 3 years and, nice PEI boy that he is, he still only played 5 minutes a game on any decent team and there's not much he can do in terms of deterring anything.

Now he's in the minors after being scratched against Washington, a team that employs Tom Wilson and who conceivably would be the entire reason to put MacEwan in the line-up.

You need toughness in your top and middle six because those are the guys that will be playing the lion's share of minutes.

I just don't think a 4th line enforcer can do anything productive anymore.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Only logical reason is that $300K savings to ice a complete lineup. But I will say Trev is terrible, just look at the Flames
I don’t know how leaf’s fans can be upset with Treliving. You guys have been going on about toughness forever and that’s exactly what he brought in. A little edge and snarl throughout the lineup. Those signings offer don’t show their true value until the post season. This isn’t about Reaves exclusively. But to take all these shots at him is insanity. Give your team a little bit to find it’s footing.

• Haha
Reactions: Stealth JD

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Everyone hated this signing at the time and now its even worse then we expected.
Not really.

Lot of dumb dumbs thought this was a good idea. That the Leafs needed Reaves' "toughness" and that he would protect them.

I don’t know how leaf’s fans can be upset with Treliving. You guys have been going on about toughness forever and that’s exactly what he brought in. A little edge and snarl throughout the lineup. Those signings offer don’t show their true value until the post season. This isn’t about Reaves exclusively. But to take all these shots at him is insanity. Give your team a little bit to find it’s footing.
Reaves doesn't and wouldn't sniff the ice in the playoffs. He's too much of a liability.

Reactions: Vector

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Reaves sucks ass, but also if you are trying to dunk on this deal that is also dumb. He can go to the Marlies if needed.

Reactions: AvroArrow

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Reaves was never going to be evaluated on his point production.

Thats just not how any of that works. A 4th liner barely playing is never going to policy anyone by himself. Some of the main core guys have to at least be part of a response to cheap shots even if someone like Reaves does the heavy lifting.

Even in the olden days with lots of enrforcers you needed some grit on at least some your topend guys.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Has any of the free agents the Leafs got in the off season worked out? Domi is meh, Bertuzzi floating like his uncle Todd and Reaves, what does he do?
Regardless if it worked out or not, I do respect the attempt.

Leafs have desperately needed some grit and toughness for years. Dubas leafs were maybe the softest teams ive ever seen. No sandpaper whatsoever.

tre comes in and sings Bertuzzi, domi and Reaves to help bring some grit. all low risk signings minus Reaves (easy to say in hindsight leafs would probably be better off with Lafferty but still).

Maybe it doesn't work out as planned but can't fault Tre too much for trying to address the leafs biggest weakness. At least not now it's too early lol

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00