Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Ryan Reaves to sign with the Maple Leafs (3 years, $1.35M AAV)

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
I don’t know how leaf’s fans can be upset with Treliving. You guys have been going on about toughness forever and that’s exactly what he brought in. A little edge and snarl throughout the lineup. Those signings offer don’t show their true value until the post season. This isn’t about Reaves exclusively. But to take all these shots at him is insanity. Give your team a little bit to find it’s footing.
Where was he yesterday when that Rat Marchand Can Openered Liljegren into the boards and was taken off the ice limping……nowhere. Same goes for Bertuzzi and Domi. This team continues to be a joke. Bandaid Solutions that amount to nothing.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I respect the idea of a reaves signing
Not the term.

Klingberg was a way more puzzling contract amount, but he is a Right-Shot so I can see the premium

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Regardless if it worked out or not, I do respect the attempt.

Leafs have desperately needed some grit and toughness for years. Dubas leafs were maybe the softest teams ive ever seen. No sandpaper whatsoever.

This isn't a new approach though.

They did the same thing with Wayne Simmonds at a point where he was a peripheral contributor at best.

I thought that Ryan O'Reilly was the right kind of addition because he's going to log minutes and he contributes in different ways.

It appears as if he didn't want to stay though.

Bertuzzi is very much in the "wait and see" category whereby his regular season contributions will be quickly forgotten if he's a beast in the post-season.

I think Domi's "sand paper" is a bit exaggerated.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Term was to much, but they could always bury him in the minors, and only cost 200k on the cap.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Doesn't help long-term... I'd rather ice the best team than have an extra player in the press box until Timmins comes back, even if you play down a game, it is fine, emergency recalls are a thing.

What would have helped was the 300k from Reaves and the better player in Lafferty, and I think most of the "we need a tough guy like Reaves so we don't get targetted" is finally coming around too.
Well I’m not going to disagree on Reeves. I still think Lafferty for Gregor and 300k makes sense. But I’d rather have Lafferty and Gregor without the pointless Reeves signing. And that also would have given us enough cap space to run with a 21 man roster

Reactions: TS Quint

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Well I’m not going to disagree on Reeves. I still think Lafferty for Gregor and 300k makes sense. But I’d rather have Lafferty and Gregor without the pointless Reeves signing. And that also would have given us enough cap space to run with a 21 man roster

Lafferty has a lot more to offer than he showed in Toronto, but he wasn't great here so I understand why he is gone.

He also has 3 goals and 2 assists in 10 games playing 13 minutes a night for Vancouver... he is a good player.

Gregor is very much just a 4th liner, Lafferty has more in him than that as he showed in a much larger sample size in Chicago.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Where was he yesterday when that Rat Marchand Can Openered Liljegren into the boards and was taken off the ice limping……nowhere. Same goes for Bertuzzi and Domi. This team continues to be a joke. Bandaid Solutions that amount to nothing.
He brought in toughness. He can’t go on the ice and muck it up for them

Not really.

Lot of dumb dumbs thought this was a good idea. That the Leafs needed Reaves' "toughness" and that he would protect them.

Reaves doesn't and wouldn't sniff the ice in the playoffs. He's too much of a liability.
It’s very likely he only sees minimal time in the post season but I was speaking as a whole

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I don't get what the fuss is about. Reeves is inconsequential. His caphit is close to the buried value when waived to the AHL.

If Leaf fans thought Reeves was going to make a difference, then that's on them. He's paid to bring some toughness. That's not going to change anything on the ice, in the dressing room or in the standings.

Reactions: Apex Predator

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I don't get what the fuss is about. Reeves is inconsequential. His caphit is close to the buried value when waived to the AHL.

If Leaf fans thought Reeves was going to make a difference, then that's on them. He's paid to bring some toughness. That's not going to change anything on the ice, in the dressing room or in the standings.
If he doesn’t change anything on the ice, in the dressing room or in the standings then they would be better served with someone else in the lineup.
One of Toronto’s strengths the last few seasons was the defensive play of their forward group. One of Toronto’s weaknesses has been they were to soft.

Well they are still softer than warm butter but Reeves and the other additions have striped Toronto of much of that depth in 2way forwards.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
It's 35+ you can't buy it out.
Don't worry the NHL will allow the Leafs to bury him on Robidas island.... Seems like the only team to always get out of cap hell without having to giving anything or hardly anything up .... lol..... 1st rd pick for Marleau being the exception.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
He is a real factor in Canucks games. At least way more useful than Reaves imo

Yeah but if you hadn't gotten Reaves you would be able to retain Lafferty which is way more useful than Reaves. I guess Trev is destroying the Leafs similar to how he destroyed the Flames.
Leafs are destroyed because they signed Reeves? When most of his salary can be buried in the minors? Had they kept Laffarty it would make the Leafs what? The cup favorite?

CheerstoBeers

Jan 28, 2008
So you're gonna send Reaves out for Marchand on a play that wasn't even a penalty in a tied game but Leafs fans are trying to justify this signing as Reaves not being a liability.. Great logic there

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Easy to dunk on the leafs for this signing but he’s not the reason why they are struggling . His cap hit can almost all be buried. East scapegoat to blame but everyone knows the reasons why but management doesn’t want to admit it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad