Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Ryan Reaves to sign with the Maple Leafs (3 years, $1.35M AAV)

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
I wanted him gone immediately after the signing and that want has grown each game... trash player.

Treliving thinks you can punch your way to a cup... didn't work in Calgary, won't work in Toronto.

I've got to think he is the worst player in the league.
I think you are biased.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Tre has always sucked at UFA signings. Hopefully he doesn’t have to hire a coach

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
It's fine. Contrary to people earlier in this thread, Reaves can be buried as they changed the 35+ rules and his contract meets the criteria to he exempt (is not front loaded and no signing bonuses after year 1). The problem is I worry leafs management will be too stubborn to send him down when it's obvious he ain't cutting it anymore

Reactions: Guttersniped

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I wanted him gone immediately after the signing and that want has grown each game... trash player.

Treliving thinks you can punch your way to a cup... didn't work in Calgary, won't work in Toronto.

I've got to think he is the worst player in the league.

He’s not even punching though. His only job on the ice right now is to get repeatedly walked by 4th liners and go back to the bench visibly out of breath despite playing a total of 9 minutes.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Reaves on the Leafs has been as impactful as this legend.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Meh. He can be almost fully buried once needed. All of the other major signing were 1 year deals. But yes, pile/vent your frustration on Toronto

Nope, multi year 35+ contracts only recieve 100k in relief after the first year when in the minors (no relief in the first year).

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Gotta say I hope treleving does the same number on the Leafs as he did Calgary on the way out. This contract was immediately and clearly awful. Aged like mold.
And they got rid of Lafferty for this guy :laugh:

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.

Nope, multi year 35+ contracts only recieve 100k in relief after the first year when in the minors (no relief in the first year).
Read your own link.

35+ contracts that are two years in length or longer and:
1. Have a signing bonus in the 2nd or later year, OR
2. Are front-loaded

Reeves doesn’t have signing bonus or a front loaded contract.
It was a bad signing but it can be mostly buried.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Gotta say I hope treleving does the same number on the Leafs as he did Calgary on the way out. This contract was immediately and clearly awful. Aged like mold.
Reaves is useless, and a major liability on the ice, 0 goals for and 8 goals against while on ice already playing 8 minutes per game; but the contract doesn't hurt the Leafs at all in the long run.

Because it is less than $1.2 million per year, the entire contract and cap hit can be buried in the AHL. Who cares if a wealthy NHL team owner is paying a guy an NHL salary to play in the AHL. Frankly, they should send him down and bring up someone who can actually play hockey and not help the other team so much, but they're showing loyalty, and giving the terrible player a chance to find his "game".

My team has a similar useless player, albeit quite a bit younger, Zack MacEwen, who's contract has already been buried in the AHL, although I'm sure he'll be called up from time to time, when we need someone to run around hitting people.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
This is the contract that can be buried for less than 100k, correct?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
This is the contract that can be buried for less than 100k, correct?

I doubt this would be even neccessary some dumb GM would take Reaves off the Leafs hand because of his , imho undeserved , reputation. First though Leafs would have to decide to move on from Reaves which they may not.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
I doubt this would be even neccessary some dumb GM would take Reaves off the Leafs hand because of his , imho undeserved , reputation. First though Leafs would have to decide to move on from Reaves which they may not.
I’d bet he had several options to sign with too. The structure of his contract makes it possible to bury. The guy I responded to tried his best to throw shade, though.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I’d bet he had several options to sign with too. The structure of his contract makes it possible to bury. The guy I responded to tried his best to throw shade, though.

Most damage Reaves can to the Leafs is via coaches and/or management deciding he needs to play regardless because of some kind of intangles off the ice or some shit and just ignore his terrible play on the ice.

Which honestly wouldn't suprise me. Wouldn't be the first time teams did this with Reaves . Happened alot actually in recent years .

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Most damage Reaves can to the Leafs is via coaches and/or management deciding he needs to play regardless because of some kind of intangles off the ice or some shit and just ignore his terrible play on the ice.

Which honestly wouldn't suprise me. Wouldn't be the first time teams did this with Reaves . Happened alot actually in recent years .
Agreed.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
He was a dumb signing from the start. How many times are we gonna revisit this notion we need character in the room and sign a one trick pony when we are so cap strapped we have to be some sort of math savant just to dress a full team. If there is a problem with leadership then address it by not handing out 13.5 million to our franchise player who is currently sitting 27th in scoring yet will be the highest paid player in the NHL in 2024.

We could have easily used that 1.3 million to sign a fairly useful 4th line player. Not just somebody who will get into 3/4 scraps a year and is loud in the dressing room.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Lafferty is a total non-factor. Let’s be real here.
He is a real factor in Canucks games. At least way more useful than Reaves imo

Nope, they got rid of Lafferty for Gregor.
Reaves replaced Simmonds.
Yeah but if you hadn't gotten Reaves you would be able to retain Lafferty which is way more useful than Reaves. I guess Trev is destroying the Leafs similar to how he destroyed the Flames.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
He was a dumb signing from the start. How many times are we gonna revisit this notion we need character in the room and sign a one trick pony when we are so cap strapped we have to be some sort of math savant just to dress a full team. If there is a problem with leadership then address it by not handing out 13.5 million to our franchise player who is currently sitting 27th in scoring yet will be the highest paid player in the NHL in 2024.

We could have easily used that 1.3 million to sign a fairly useful 4th line player. Not just somebody who will get into 3/4 scraps a year and is loud in the dressing room.
Yep Leafs made a mistake. Don't trust your GM since he is very bad in terms of signings. Look at Kadri, Huberdeau, Coleman, Lucic etc. The Flames look terrible and are worst off since they have one of the worst contract in the league now imo. Just hope the Leafs are cash strapped and close to cap so he doesn't make more dumb signings like Reaves lol

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
At the end of the day the contract is fine because the organization has money coming out of farts. The problem comes with how much appreciate do you have for the player that blinds you from making roster management decisions. This won't be a cap nightmare but you gotta bit the bullet and inform the player he just can't cut it on the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad