Confirmed Trade: [TOR/CHI] Jake McCabe (@ 50%), Sam Lafferty, cond. 2024 and 2025 5th round picks for Joey Anderson, Pavel Gogolev, 2025 1st (top 10 prot), 2026 2nd

ShameOnYouZidlicky

Jun 4, 2010
McCabe has been great.

Lafferty has been bad. Eye-test and analytics bad . I'm not sure why he's being given 3rd line minutes over Kampf or even Acciari.

If Knies impresses, I'd scratch Lafferty to get him in the lineup for the playoffs.

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The deal has been a steal for the Leafs a legitimate 4 D for 2 million dollars for 3 playoff runs, and a bottom 6 forward.

For a draft pick that's 3 drafts away, AND is top 10 protected so if things did go to hell Chicago doesn't get the pick

Yeah. I think the retention component of this deal has to really be factored in. As a direct trade...maybe it's okay, maybe not. But to get McCabe @ $2M is really solid. That's bottom-pair money for a guy who is capable of playing in the Top-4. Value.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
The deal has been a steal for the Leafs a legitimate 4 D for 2 million dollars for 3 playoff runs, and a bottom 6 forward.

For a draft pick that's 3 drafts away, AND is top 10 protected so if things did go to hell Chicago doesn't get the pick
Lol. It’s top-10 protected meaning that it’s pushed off a year, not that Toronto no longer gives up a 1st rounder.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Chicago management is a joke.

Some here praise them because 'muh draft picks', but they have basically been hell bent on losing as many trades as they could trading legit talent for mediocre1st rounders. They've effectively ruined their culture and I predict will be irrelevant for more than 5 years.

Leafs management is mostly good and learning on the job.

I hate the Leafs because of constant over saturation in every Canadian market and smugness from some of their fans.
Dubas made some mistakes I called out at the time (Tavares deal, Barrie deal, Signing Marleau for the extra year although IIRC that was Lou), but he's a sharp cookie who learns from his mistakes.

I hope the Leafs continue to struggle and fire Dubas to satiate the angry masses because I predict he wins more than one Stanley Cup and as a bitter fellow Canadian Leaf hater, I hope it's not for them :)

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Chicago management is a joke.

Some here praise them because 'muh draft picks', but they have basically been hell bent on losing as many trades as they could trading legit talent for mediocre1st rounders. They've effectively ruined their culture and I predict will be irrelevant for more than 5 years.

Leafs management is mostly good and learning on the job.

I hate the Leafs because of constant over saturation in every Canadian market and smugness from some of their fans.
Dubas made some mistakes I called out at the time (Tavares deal, Barrie deal, Signing Marleau for the extra year although IIRC that was Lou), but he's a sharp cookie who learns from his mistakes.

I hope the Leafs continue to struggle and fire Dubas to satiate the angry masses because I predict he wins more than one Stanley Cup and as a bitter fellow Canadian Leaf hater, I hope it's not for them :)

Marleau was Lou, also I'm not sure how anybody could call the Tavares deal a mist he's still a star.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Marleau was Lou, also I'm not sure how anybody could call the Tavares deal a mist he's still a star.
He was precisely what the Leafs didn't need. He was a hat on a hat, they already had their centers taken care of. And he absolutely ruined their pay structure, but let's not derail this thread onto that topic. Happy to discuss it elsewhere if you start a thread.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
He was precisely what the Leafs didn't need. He was a hat on a hat, they already had their centers taken care of. And he absolutely ruined their pay structure, but let's not derail this thread onto that topic. Happy to discuss it elsewhere if you start a thread.

I agree it’s probably better for another thread. However that deal, and the following core player deals were made without a global pandemic in mind.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

He makes $2 million

This really doesn't surprise me. He's not an amazing player, but if put in the proper role and part of the depth chart, it's not surprising that he'd be absolutely decent and win his minutes.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He has been playing some of the heaviest minutes on the team against other teams best players since he got here.

He's got the right support now though. The Leafs blueline is a bit of a hodgepodge, but they don't need McCabe to be all things to everyone. He can just play his role, which is clearly on the defensive end of things.

They've got others to do other things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad