Confirmed Trade: [TOR/CBJ/SJS] N. Foligno (75% retained), S. Noesen to TOR; '21 1st and '22 4th to CBJ; '21 4th to SJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm assuming that just an ask the actual return would never be that high my guess.

I think it absolutely will be. He very likely won't fetch a mid-first like Coleman did but Nick Foligno has a stronger playoff and leadership resume and he's not far off in scoring. He was also a common analytics pick for the Selke ballot just last year. At half retained he ought to fetch a pick in the 20s (probably later than Minnesota's pick). He ought to be worth more than Savard and worth significantly more than your "can you believe that guy got a 1st" level of player (think Gaustad/Goodrow).

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I think it absolutely will be. He very likely won't fetch a mid-first like Coleman did but Nick Foligno has a stronger playoff and leadership resume and he's not far off in scoring. He was also a common analytics pick for the Selke ballot just last year. At half retained he ought to fetch a pick in the 20s (probably later than Minnesota's pick). He ought to be worth more than Savard and worth significantly more than your "can you believe that guy got a 1st" level of player (think Gaustad/Goodrow).
Anything is possible but generally speaking Dman go at a premium especially an RHD that's tough to play against. A hard-hitting leader that doesn't score as a top liner I don't know. However, you win with guys like him so if somebody really wants him I guess. Goodluck.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Yeah I hope the Avs stay far away from him (Dater has them interested as well).
Its silly season time and players like Foligno simply don't make an impact at the age of 33 that justifies giving up a 1st round picks for him.

Let another idiot GM overpay like that.

IMO you only should trade 1sts if you are filling vital positions or roles in your team and only do it for rentals if you really need them and are all-in...
Foligno doesn't fill any of these roles (#1, #2 C, top4 D, 1 #G).

Spending 1sts on 3rd liners might work for a team like Tampa because they seem to be better with 3rd or 4th round picks anyways for some weird reason but for any normal team thats a horrible move and will cost you dearly down the line...

Last edited:

SteelCityCannon

Mar 25, 2017
Like complaining about playing time. Not carring to play defense. Pouting when not playing in top 6c, etc. & domi simply isn't a c.

There is a reason why Guerin loves players like nick bonino, ian Cole, Marcus foligno, nick foligno etc...

I can't really speak for his time elsewhere but we've seen none of this on the Blue Jackets. He's said and done the right things. He didn't fit in well at first but is finally finding his game in Columbus.

Reactions: Viqsi and Toe Pick

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Foligno shouldn't be returning a first . Maybe an extremely conditional 1st like make the final four and Foligno plays 75% of the teams games or something like that.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
This is why I'm not overly interested in Foligno. Trade value seems way too tied to past success and not what you're actually going to get out of him.

JacketLife

Aug 2, 2020
Foligno won’t go to the wild. The team that’ll pay the most is that team that needs one final piece to get to the cup. They need a gritty guy who doesn’t have to score but does literally everything else in the game. He’s a fantastic supplementary piece on a line with prolific scorers. I think the Jackets can get the first from a team who doesn’t care about this years draft because they’re close to a cup.

Jarmo is letting Foligno chase a cup before coming back here. It’s also a way to get the C from him. We want him back, but not as captain. This way, we don’t have to strip him.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Hope if a 1st goes out that it's not my team spending it . Solid player and character guy but I'd flinch at that ask .

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
I can't really speak for his time elsewhere but we've seen none of this on the Blue Jackets. He's said and done the right things. He didn't fit in well at first but is finally finding his game in Columbus.

Well said. This guy has been nothing but class in Columbus. Nice to see him finding his game as well.

I hope we hold onto him for another year and if it doesn’t work out then move him next deadline.

As for Foligno, a whole lot of armchair experts here at HF said Savard wouldn’t return a first. I think there’s enough interest that someone will pony one up.

Reactions: Viqsi

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Definitely not getting a 1st and really shouldn't even be getting a 2nd for Nick Foligno.

Reactions: 613Leafer

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Blake Coleman and Barclay Goodrow both went for 1sts. Thing is: how many teams are A) a depth player away from being legit contenders and B) can absorb the salary of said player. Foligno - like Coleman and Goodrow - is a good player to have, but carries a higher cap hit.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Blake Coleman and Barclay Goodrow went for 1sts. Thing is: how many teams are A) a depth player away from being legit contenders and B) can absorb the salary of said player. Foligno carries a higher cap hit than Coleman and Goodrow.
I tend to think of it as a given that our ask for Foligno includes/implies the presumption that we'd retain 50%, so the cap hit is less of a concern than one might think. (Still is one, considering how many teams are close to the cap, but less of one.)

Reactions: Toe Pick and BHD

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
It is, but I think him resigning to a team-friendly deal now shows it even more.
No, waiting shows he cares about the team so they don't need to protect him for the expansion draft. This really isn't that hard to understand. He's willing to move, he's on an expiring contract, CBJ gets and asset, avoids having to discuss protecting him if he's re-signed now and they can re-sign in off season.

Ultimately, he may not re-sign but there is no reason for Columbus to not maximize asset management here.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Definitely not for a 1st, but I wouldn't mind trading for Foligno.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Blake Coleman and Barclay Goodrow both went for 1sts. Thing is: how many teams are A) a depth player away from being legit contenders and B) can absorb the salary of said player. Foligno - like Coleman and Goodrow - is a good player to have, but carries a higher cap hit.
Both those guys had 1 cheap extra year on their deals and they are in the prime of their careers, Foligno is an old rental. Plus it seems to be a different market.

I'd be surprised if a team gives 1st for him. Maybe conditional, like 2nd and 5th, where the 2nd becomes 1st if the team reaches Cup final or something. That would be a lot too. Foligno is a bottom 6 player.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
Man, CLB trying to load up on 1sts in a year that you really don't want to be loaded on 1sts.

I mean, it's never a bad thing, but this is the last year you'd want it.

I don’t understand this logic (you are not the only one mentioning that), I think it is the exact opposite.

Lower seeds should load up IMO. The lack of exposure increases the odds of other teams missing & passing on superstar talents due to that lack of said exposure/scouting.

The probabilities to see someone that would normally get drafted #7 being available at #22 is higher (just random numbers).

Last edited:

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I don’t understand this logic (you are not the only one mentioning that), I think it is the exact opposite.

Lower seeds should load up IMO. The lack of exposure increases the odds of other teams missing & passing on superstar talents due to that lack of said exposure/scouting.

The probabilities to see someone that would normally get drafted #7 being available at #22 is higher (just randoms numbers).

I think this one sort of depends on if you’re more of an optimist or a pessimist. I don’t think there is any bad time to sell pending UFAs for 1sts though.

Reactions: HabsTown

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
another high character guy but no way we'd give a first.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015

The probabilities to see someone that would normally get drafted #7 being available at #22 is higher (just randoms numbers).

Weaker draft years makes those picks less relevant. That said, I would still sell off pending UFAs regardless.

Chevx

Jul 5, 2017
Planet Earth
Foligno won’t go to the wild. The team that’ll pay the most is that team that needs one final piece to get to the cup. They need a gritty guy who doesn’t have to score but does literally everything else in the game. He’s a fantastic supplementary piece on a line with prolific scorers. I think the Jackets can get the first from a team who doesn’t care about this years draft because they’re close to a cup.

Jarmo is letting Foligno chase a cup before coming back here. It’s also a way to get the C from him. We want him back, but not as captain. This way, we don’t have to strip him.

Right but if Tampa wanted him the deal would already be done I guess. Additionally, The reasonable return of your choice would be something like Stephens + 6th as the pick may be higher with the retention. Besides, I do not see any other high-end contender who would make a similar deal. I mean, Vegas do not have a C depth and J.T. Compher is not the right type that Jarmo is seeking. Or?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad