Proposal: TOR/CAR - Nylander - Hanifin

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Something I asked about last season. I wanted to see where fan bases were this year.

Nylander has gotten 1 game in at centre this year and had great possession along with getting an assist in a 1-0 win.

Is this a straight up trade? Does Carolina add? Do the Leafs add?

Thanks

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
From a Carolina perspective, it’s totally dependent on Nylander’s potential to play center fulltime long-term. The Canes can’t afford to trade a player who has been the sole offensive threat on a defensively oriented blueline for a winger.

Reactions: Unsustainable

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
From a Carolina perspective, it’s totally dependent on Nylander’s potential to play center fulltime long-term.

What do you mean? OP already proved the case for Nylander being a fulltime long-term center:

Nylander has gotten 1 game in at centre this year and had great possession along with getting an assist in a 1-0 win.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
From a Carolina perspective, it’s totally dependent on Nylander’s potential to play center fulltime long-term. The Canes can’t afford to trade a player who has been the sole offensive threat on a defensively oriented blueline for a winger.

For what it's worth, I think he can do it. He had great numbers in the AHL playing centre.

He started out real slow on his first call up but then did really well at the end when he got to play centre, total of 13 pts in 22GP, this year 1GP 1 pt. His face off numbers are pretty good as well. Babcock and him just don't seem to gel together and I know Babcock wanted Hanifin which is where this spawns from.

Given Carolina's system, I could see Nylander thriving, which would suck for us but we need defensive help too. Give to get right?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
With how Hanifin is starting to look. No chance Francis makes a deal for a winger who has never proven he could play Center in the NHL with Skinner, Aho, Teravainen, already on the NHL roster doing well with Gauthier as a recent pick doing well in the AHL. Leafs obviously would love to do this deal. Canes would say no or more needs to be added.

Reactions: Cardiac_Canes

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Value is obviously there. I'm torn on this one, but I think I'd do it. Personally, I'd much rather give up Nylander for Hanifin than Marner.

JCLA

Feb 23, 2017
Leafs don't add, canes may add but it's not a big add. I don't think I would add.

But it'd all be contingent on if Nylander can actually play center.

I don't think the Leafs should move Nylander if he can play center though. You could possibly be looking at the next Crosby-Malkin

Reactions: Unsustainable

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
This is a close to fair trade assuming 2 things.

Nylander can play center

Nylander can score as many points without Auston

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Nylander can play center

I'd be curious to see how Nylander does in Carolina. Hard to make a condition in the trade on Nylander playing centre and if he doesn't Carolina gets X.

I do find it interesting though, Kadri was never ever going to get to play centre under Wilson but he did under Carlyle and did well, and is thriving with Babcock.

I know Z and Filp out of Detroit have played LW/C and Nylander is mostly being used at wing but would someone else be happy with Nylander at C right now? Like I said, my 2 cents is I think Nylander can play centre just fine, maybe some rush but I think he'd have success but i'm not a pro scout so my opinion isn't even worth the 2 cents :)

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Yeah, id get babcock tf out of here before Nylander.

Unless Nylander wants too much or wants out, I dont wanna trade him.

Reactions: Cotton

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Left
Handed
Defenseman

How hard is that?
It's not like adding a lhd like OEL, who would be our best defenseman.

Just an all-round poor proposal.

Reactions: Cotton

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Rielly, Hanifin and Liljegren is pretty tempting. Watching those three wheel around the ice would be great. Doubt either team would do this deal though.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
So sell Nylander because Babcock wants to be a complete ****?

I'd sack Babcock first personally

Yeah, id get babcock tf out of here before Nylander.

Unless Nylander wants too much or wants out, I dont wanna trade him.

I don't think anyone on this roster can get Babcock out with the exception of Matthews

Left
Handed
Defenseman

How hard is that?
It's not like adding a lhd like OEL, who would be our best defenseman.

Just an all-round poor proposal.

Top pairing (potential)....we have tons of those types of defenseman kicking around!

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Plenty of young offensive players get shifted around the lineup depending on their performance.

I think this Babcock or Nylander has to go talk is very premature.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015

Nylander can play center

He can do both.

For all the points Matthews helps him add, Hyman takes away :laugh:

He's also produced well on other lines, including limited minutes playing with Martin and Moore.

As for him being a C. The plan is he'll transition to a full time C next season when we lose Bozak and we'll run Matthews-Kadri-Nylander down the middle.

As for the trade, we're not trading Nylander. Babcock doesn't hate him, he's made it clear Nylander is part of the future (Babs is just stubborn with lines sometimes).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad