Proposal: TOR/CAR - Nylander - Hanifin

Feb 24, 2017
I know you are being sarcastic, but Nylander has played center at every level....i don't think he's forgotten how. That said, i would pass on the OP, no need to take a home run swing.
You are being a little nuts, friend. Sacrificing just one of your [MOD] wingers for a potential elite D where nobody even uttered the “Matthews” word...

Last edited by a moderator:

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
You are being a little nuts, friend. Sacrificing just one of your [MOD] wingers for a potential elite D where nobody even uttered the “Matthews” word...
Nuts? How so? The Leafs don't need to make a move like that...actually, if ypu have watched the Leafs last 20ish games, you would realize that trading offence isn't the best idea.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I know the cool thing to do on HF is to hype up Werenski and Provorov and **** on Hanifin, but Hanifin is scoring just as much and is an excellent possession player. Not sure why his value is so much lower than theirs.
I'm not trying to bash on Hanifin here, but Weirenski plays 23 minutes a night, Provorov 25 minutes, and Hanifin plays 18. Provorov is his team's #1, and Weirenski had 47 points last year. Hanifin is a great young player who looks like he's having a breakout year, but the other two have better NHL resumes as top pairing guys and Hanifin is barely playing top4 minutes. I'm hardly an expert in these players and will be the first to admit I don't watch them much. But those numbers might be why Hanifin's value is lower.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
What a biased post...

What if our [MOD] winger becomes an elite #1c and your "elite Dman" never gains his offensive game and becomes a #4 dman?
[MOD]

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
For a non-sarcastic post, I'll go back to what I've said in every one of these TOR/CAR threads: Toronto shouldn't be going after a Hanifin. Aside from the handedness issue, he's more than what they need. They can round out their top 4 without sacrificing one of the big 3. I don't know much about Dermot and others, but it sounds like they have some guys in the system that can fill that need. It isn't like the window is closing any time soon for the Leafs, so stay the course, give these guys a year or two to develop, and move from a potential contender to a favorite.

I know the cool thing to do on HF is to hype up Werenski and Provorov and **** on Hanifin, but Hanifin is scoring just as much and is an excellent possession player. Not sure why his value is so much lower than theirs.

Because those guys are currently better, more well rounded players. What keeps Hanifin's value near theirs is the development curve he's on.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Hanifin isn't getting the type of minutes against other teams players like Provorov or Werenski yet. I am projecting that he will be pretty good though, defenseman always take longer then forwards.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
It’s fair value.

Though the need for Hanifin from Leafs is not as great as the need for Nylander in Carolina.

I can see base of a deal between these teams. They fit each other's needs, just a matter of finding the right fit.

CamelToews

Dec 16, 2015
With us most likely letting JVR and Bozak walk, trading Nylander for Hanifin, doesn't make sense. Value is fair though, Hanifin is a heck of a defender.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Left
Handed
Defenseman

How hard is that?
It's not like adding a lhd like OEL, who would be our best defenseman.

Just an all-round poor proposal.

I don't think anyone on this roster can get Babcock out with the exception of Matthews

Top pairing (potential)....we have tons of those types of defenseman kicking around!

Its at least a reasonable attempt to generate a balanced/equitable trade proposal that addresses the respective teams needs. Unfortunately good, young NHL defenders are coveted, so this is a proposal that unlike many others addresses that fact.

Whether or not this is the direction of LL/Leafs management or not is a completely different matter.

Last edited:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I'm not trying to bash on Hanifin here, but Weirenski plays 23 minutes a night, Provorov 25 minutes, and Hanifin plays 18. Provorov is his team's #1, and Weirenski had 47 points last year. Hanifin is a great young player who looks like he's having a breakout year, but the other two have better NHL resumes as top pairing guys and Hanifin is barely playing top4 minutes. I'm hardly an expert in these players and will be the first to admit I don't watch them much. But those numbers might be why Hanifin's value is lower.

I doubt that either Werenski or Provorov are available though so its never a bad idea to consider real market conditions (versus hypotheticals).

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I doubt that either Werenski or Provorov are available though so its never a bad idea to consider real market conditions (versus hypotheticals).

This makes a lot of sense, but on the flip-side, Hanifin isn't being offered around the league either. His name is only out there because of CAR's embarassment of riches on the blue line and other teams' fans/beat-writers are looking to poach a young d-man, so they throw out names in potential trades for him.

Francis very publicly said over the off-season that none of Faulk/Slavin/Pesce/Hanifin were available. With Hanifin's play this year so far, I still think that's true, with the exception of maybe Faulk. But who's gonna pay high prices for Faulk given his craptastic play so far...

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Its at least a reasonable attempt to generate a balanced/equitable trade proposal that addresses the respective teams needs. Unfortunately good, young NHL defenders are coveted, so this is a proposal that unlike many others addresses that fact.

Whether or not this is the direction of LL/Leafs management or not is a completely different matter.

Yep, we don't have any control over these trade threads other then to discuss value and if it would be acceptable from an individual's perspective, from my POV it's a fair conversation to have.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
not a chance. Nylander will not be moved. He will be transitioned to center with the idea of Matthews - Nylander - Kadri being the strength of our team down the middle.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
defensive defenders. also wouldn't hurt for the forwards to be decent and defense

Just to point out, but in this day and age a "defensive defenseman" is really a "defenseman who blows at offense".

Also no, I'm not particularly enticed by Nylander.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Just to point out, but in this day and age a "defensive defenseman" is really a "defenseman who blows at offense".

Also no, I'm not particularly enticed by Nylander.
well i'd like good defensive players and the leafs probably don't want hanafin

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Said it before and will say it again. One of Nylander /Marner straight up for Hanifin is a good deal for both teams. It addresses the needs for both teams. If anybody needs to add it would be the Leafs as Hanifin value > Nylander but it would be a very minor +.

Both Nylander and Marner have shown they’re capable of putting up first line level offense.

Hanifin hasn’t shown he’s anything more than 5/4 on a lousy team. The only way one could argue that he holds more value is that the D man trade market is stupidly lopsided towards sellers.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Both Nylander and Marner have shown they’re capable of putting up first line level offense.

Hanifin hasn’t shown he’s anything more than 5/4 on a lousy team. The only way one could argue that he holds more value is that the D man trade market is stupidly lopsided towards sellers.
Yes, they have both PROVEN to be first line level players (as long as you don't look at their stats this year)...one year proves everything!

And I don't think anyone has tried to claim Hanifin is a top-pair D or anything yet, just that he's a #3-4 guy who's finally starting to put things together (both offensively and defensively) and is trending upwards...and has top-pairing potential. Nice jab with "5/4 on a lousy team"...Carolina isn't known at all for it's great, young, up-and-coming defense or anything. I would think if anything his production on an otherwise lousy team would look even better, not worse? What do I know?

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think a lot of Leaf fans in this thread are going to extremes when speaking about players.

Jerkob Slavin

Likable Jerk
Mar 8, 2012
Monroe, NC

It seems like every day we see a proposal for Hanifin. When Carolina fans decline these deals, the result is usually some level of Hurricane or Hanifin bashing. The Hurricanes are NOT struggling because of team defense. The team is struggling due to poor goaltending (AGAIN!!!) and a lack of offense. Hanifin is NOT underperforming or a bust. Defensemen generally develop slower than forwards and Carolina has had the luxury of allowing him to develop without rushing him. Hanifin is exactly what he was touted to be... a great skating defenseman with offensive upside. He will be a top pair defender (#1/#2) if we ever need him to be so. If you want him, you will have to pay that price. If you do not want him, do not make low ball offers.

Canes will only entertain offers that help us acquire a #1 C or a game changing winger. If you do not have that to offer, Ron Francis is not going to listen and you are wasting everyone's time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->