Confirmed Trade: [TOR/CAR] Marleau, 2020 1st Rounder (Top 10 Prot.) & 2020 7th Rounder to CAR for 2020 6th Rounder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Kapanen and Johnsson are gonna get so much better. Having that kind of depth without Marleau getting mismatch in the top 6 keeps the leafs forward group as one of the best and gives them options.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Kapanen and Johnsson are gonna get so much better. Having that kind of depth without Marleau getting mismatch in the top 6 keeps the leafs forward group as one of the best and gives them options.

The situation now without Marleau is not something you can call "depth" anymore.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Meh, they still have a damn good top 9

I mean.. Marleau was getting significant ice time towards the end of the season and playoffs.. yet Dubas was so desperate to get rid of him he paid a 1st? That shows what a disconnect there is between Dubas and Babcock, and based on Babcock's over reliance on Marleau I'd have little faith in Babcock and fear the game has passed his draconian ways by

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I believe they had to trade him before July 1st for him to be eligible to later sign with the Sharks for this season. May have been the only way to get him to waive the NMC.
Really? I’m not aware with any signing restrictions of that nature.

But actually a different hitch I just remembered is that the buyout window closes July 1 so trade-then-buyout would not have been an option after that. Sorry if that’s what you meant though.

Reactions: TheDoldrums

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto

But actually a different hitch I just remembered is that the buyout window closes July 1 so trade-then-buyout would not have been an option after that. Sorry if that’s what you meant though.

I bet they just couldn't do that "Leafs pay his bonus on July 1, then trade him to some other team for a buyout" thing. That always reeked of cap circumvention to me and, no surprise, it never happened.

Instead, they traded him and all his money/cap hit to Carolina, and they did it by the rules.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Dubas is not seeing the big picture.

He thinks they are cup bound and they need to re-tool.

Getting Marner signed is important, but there are major holes to fill.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Pretty funny how most Leaf fans were expecting positive or neutral value in a Marleau trade. Now a change of tune!!

Reactions: kbcb

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
The 11 million freed up between Marleau and Zaitsev will be very handy in hole-filling.
And where will the money come from to sign Marner? Moving Zaitsev creates another hike that has to be filled as well

Wiggleboom

Feb 6, 2010
Vancouver
Can someone explain how the Leafs expect to contend for a Cup next year when they have 3 NHL level defencemen (assuming they trade Zaitsev)? The money from Marleu will help sigh the 3 RFA forwards but they will still have almost no cap left and may have one of the worst D corps in the league right now + have no depth.

They have #1D, #3D and #5D. Assume 2 of the young guys takes #6 and 7 (that’s no guarantee), thy are still 2 top 4 D short of even having an average D corps.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Can someone explain how the Leafs expect to contend for a Cup next year when they have 3 NHL level defencemen

Ok you asked the question. Play just 3 lines and only 1 Dman per 5 man unit. Now the 3 D are just the right amount. The forwards are so good just pretend you're on the power play all game.

Line 1
Hyman-Gauthier-Tavares-Marner
Reilly

Reactions: kbcb

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
No 1st round pick this year and no 1st round pick next year. Literally haven't won a playoff series with this core. Maybe they should just take the 4 1st that's coming for Marner.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Yup. The only way that Marleau would waive his NMC would be if it would eventually allow him to come to San Jose. And the only way that Marleau is coming to San Jose is as a UFA taking roughly $1M. He wouldn't fit here even with 50% retention.

After July 1st, you could hypothetically work something out after July 1st where you trade Marleau @ 50%, then the other team trades him @ 50%, so San Jose acquires him at 25% of his original cap hit ($1.56M), but even that is difficult for the Sharks to fit, and just extremely complicated.

This was the only feasible option for Toronto and they made the right move.

Reactions: mavis

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Yup. The only way that Marleau would waive his NMC would be if it would eventually allow him to come to San Jose. And the only way that Marleau is coming to San Jose is as a UFA taking roughly $1M. He wouldn't fit here even with 50% retention.

After July 1st, you could hypothetically work something out after July 1st where you trade Marleau @ 50%, then the other team trades him @ 50%, so San Jose acquires him at 25% of his original cap hit ($1.56M), but even that is difficult for the Sharks to fit, and just extremely complicated.

This was the only feasible option for Toronto and they made the right move.

Believe you can’t retain on a player that’s already retained.

Reactions: Ciao

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Dubas is not seeing the big picture.

He thinks they are cup bound and they need to re-tool.

Getting Marner signed is important, but there are major holes to fill.

it is scary for this market/team... clearly they did something right drafting a couple studs... found themselves a great goalie for cheap... and convinced a hometown free agent to come be their new hero...

that said they are not built for playoff success... had none... and now are forced to trade off depth vets like van rymsdyke/ bozek/ korolov/ marleau/ and possibly gardiner and possibly hainsley in the past 2 seasons

this team is filling these holes with first and second year players... the number of teams that have success with this many kids in top 10 positions is pretty much nil

a good regular season coach and a bunch of kids told they can run and gun might give this franchise its best regular season success of its franchise history {thats kind of sad in itself} but anything less than a cup win with Matthews/marner is going to be considered cause for revolt by this playoff starved fan base.

the fans were told {and most believed} that there was plenty of money for everyone. when the front office was telling the players to take less... most fans thought it would happen. everyone wants to be in the center of the universe right?

I think when the fans were told there would be a long slow build... no one in the wildest dreams imagined that they would be paying more than 27 mill for marner/Matthews/nylander this year. bostons top 3 forwards make 19 million and actually have been to the finals 3 times in 9 years.

it has to be frustrating. no team in hockey has more money than Toronto. and the ownership is willing to spend... but the rules forbid it.

Toronto fans are going to riot when their team is dismantled over last year, this year, next year...

the rest of the nhl fans should be concerned... a new cba is on the way and the leagues most important member team is in flames

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
No 1st round pick this year and no 1st round pick next year. Literally haven't won a playoff series with this core. Maybe they should just take the 4 1st that's coming for Marner.

few years ago I said Chicago should move kane. I was pretty roasted at that time for the consideration. I wonder now seeing how that team has fallen over the cliff, how they would feel going back?

I know boston never regretted taking 2 firsts a and a second for kessel… and taking 3 firsts for Wesley worked out great too

but... its important to be able to draft well

Washington got crap with all their picks they got for scott stevens

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
You can. It was done with Devan Dubnyk a few years back.

You can only retain twice on one player, though.

Oh interesting, thanks. I wonder why 2 lol. Either way, I get the sense that Marleau did us a solid here. Dubas indicated that Marleau still has some work to do to get where he wants to go (I heard Carolina might want to try and convince him to play).

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Can someone explain how the Leafs expect to contend for a Cup next year when they have 3 NHL level defencemen (assuming they trade Zaitsev)? The money from Marleu will help sigh the 3 RFA forwards but they will still have almost no cap left and may have one of the worst D corps in the league right now + have no depth.

They have #1D, #3D and #5D. Assume 2 of the young guys takes #6 and 7 (that’s no guarantee), thy are still 2 top 4 D short of even having an average D corps.
muzz is a #2 in my books and dermott is a #4

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
it is scary for this market/team... clearly they did something right drafting a couple studs... found themselves a great goalie for cheap... and convinced a hometown free agent to come be their new hero...

that said they are not built for playoff success... had none... and now are forced to trade off depth vets like van rymsdyke/ bozek/ korolov/ marleau/ and possibly gardiner and possibly hainsley in the past 2 seasons

this team is filling these holes with first and second year players... the number of teams that have success with this many kids in top 10 positions is pretty much nil

a good regular season coach and a bunch of kids told they can run and gun might give this franchise its best regular season success of its franchise history {thats kind of sad in itself} but anything less than a cup win with Matthews/marner is going to be considered cause for revolt by this playoff starved fan base.

the fans were told {and most believed} that there was plenty of money for everyone. when the front office was telling the players to take less... most fans thought it would happen. everyone wants to be in the center of the universe right?

I think when the fans were told there would be a long slow build... no one in the wildest dreams imagined that they would be paying more than 27 mill for marner/Matthews/nylander this year. bostons top 3 forwards make 19 million and actually have been to the finals 3 times in 9 years.

it has to be frustrating. no team in hockey has more money than Toronto. and the ownership is willing to spend... but the rules forbid it.

Toronto fans are going to riot when their team is dismantled over last year, this year, next year...

the rest of the nhl fans should be concerned... a new cba is on the way and the leagues most important member team is in flames
i don't understand when you say first/second year players filling top 10 rolls???

Matty/JT/MM/Nylander/Kadri/Reilly/muzzin/hyman/Dermott/Kappy/AJ/Zait , thats our top 12 right there.

that there is our top 2 lines and 2/3rds of our 3rd line plus our top 4 D

sorry, i don't see a flood of raw rookies there. There are 2 names you could call 2nd year and they just both posted 20g/40p seasons kk/aj

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad