Confirmed Trade: [TOR/CAR] Marleau, 2020 1st Rounder (Top 10 Prot.) & 2020 7th Rounder to CAR for 2020 6th Rounder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Very smart move by Carolina. They are utilizing cap space to garner assets. A 1st rounder, even if mid to late is a very good move.

Certainly can't blame them, good deal for their fans as it's not their money they're spending and I'm assuming they didn't plan to spend to the cap any way. Though I'm a little surprised the team would spend $3.8m on a late first, it's hard to tell what internal flexibility (if any) they would lose by spending that dough.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I see this has become nothing but a Leafs fans bashing thread now? Nice.

Well, a 1st was a high price to pay...but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Reactions: shortfuze

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Even with this buyout at a significant cost. Aren't the Leafs still in a cap crunch?

PROJECTED CAP HIT
q.svg
: $67,959,699
PROJECTED LTIR USED
q.svg
: $0
PROJECTED CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $13,540,301

With Marleau's cap relief, they only have 13.5 of current cap space + 5.3M of LTIR.
Assuming Marner will sign in the 11M range. That will leave just 7.8M to sign 2 RFA's Kapanen+Johnsson, a UFA fwd, +3 UFA d men.

The numbers are still daunting. And when you see them, a first rd pick for Marleau's contract did not solve much after all. If Marner signs at the numbers being thrown about.
Small note, they don't have to sign 3 D men at the moment, Zaitsev is still here. Also, nothing says they need to go the UFA route, they can promote internally with ELC players. Bracco can fill that forward spot....Rosen is ready to fill a spot on D.

Feb 24, 2017
I'm honestly surprised Vancouver wasn't trying to make this type of deal...
I’m not, friend. Jim Benning has absolutely no concept of weaponizing cap space. That, plus he is a lame duck gm in the last year of his contract, so he is trying desperately to make the playoffs, no matter the effect on the future and whatever happens with the 1st he gave up. He doesn’t care cause if things go south he knows he won’t be here to pick up the pieces.

Reactions: unitedstars87

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I’m not, friend. Jim Benning has absolutely no concept of weaponizing cap space. That, plus he is a lame duck gm in the last year of his contract, so he is trying desperately to make the playoffs, no matter the effect on the future and whatever happens with the 1st he gave up. He doesn’t care cause if things go south he knows he won’t be here to pick up the pieces.
Scary when you hear Myers is meeting with him today....

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
- I am confident that the Leafs will pay no such price and still find a dance partner.

- If the insiders are right then we can just use the positive asset we gain from trading Zaitsev as the sweetener on Marleau, problem solved.

- LOL. A 2nd + good prospect is the most.

- What does that mean? Like top prospect? 1st round pick? People are insane. He is a 1 year cap dump and given his owed salary to cap hit he'd be a massive asset for them.

- You don't need to be connected to an actual GM to know he's not getting packaged with a 1st round pick.

- Leafs inevitably walk away from the negotiations and decide to pursue other options due to the outlandish asking price,

- Lol, no, that's not going to happen.

- No way in hell are the leafs paying a 2nd to move Marleau. You guys are delusional

- 3rd liner on the leafs is not 3rd liner on the rest of the teams. Should go without saying but the excuses keep piling up. I will wait for the trade then come back tbh

- A 1st to take on Marleau is ridiculous, you've lost all credibility if you actually think that's going to happen. You don't need to be a Leaf fan to realize how insane that sounds.

- Lmao @ people saying its gonna take leafs first to give with marleau loll. Are u guys serious? If dubas does that then he deserves to get fired.

- our first isnt going anywhere.....if anything leafs would have to give a 3rd and a small propsect.

- Ya the 1st Rd pick will be the new narrative around here for a few weeks till Marleau is traded for less then it's on to the next thing like Dubas overpaid Marner.

- Stupidest proposal of the day goes to...

- Instead of getting bent over in your hypothetical Marleau trade they would just move someone else. Simple.

- Serious? never gonna happen!

- I love these boards The narrative went from "There is no way Marleau will ever waive" to "It will take an arm and a leg to move Marleau".Reality is (and always has been.... this contract was designed for this very situation) Marleau will move for the cost of around a 2nd round pick at most.

- On July 2nd Marleau will be moved for a lot less then people on here are hoping.

- attaching a first round pick to him just to unload is crazy.

There you go. There's a bunch. Is that 20? IDK, I only got about halfway through the thread, if it was even that far.

- It's not 20
- At least 1 is invalid as it talks about a trade after the SB is paid
- Given you didn't multi-quote I'm going to guess many are not even relating to context of giving up a first

Leafs didn't have to give up a first. But the circumstances and timing made it make most sense to do so v.s. options that would be available after July 1.

Feb 24, 2017
Scary when you hear Myers is meeting with him today....
You know who apparently was quite principled and heroic upon his exit from Vancouver? The man who went on to run the Leafs. Dave Nonis.

He apparently turned down Tampa Bay when they wanted young prospects Edler, Schneider, and Kesler, for Brad Richards. Nonis was in risk of missing the playoffs and indeed did get fired when they did miss it. I will always respect Nonis for allegedly battling against Aquilini and not making that deal even though he missed the playoffs and lost his job.

He wasn’t going to bury the future of his home town team even if it meant unemployment.

That was the day, to me, that Dave No Nuts earned the name Dave Nonis.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Yet he said he's ready to take advantage of teams in cap trouble.

Marleau wasn't supposed to have negative value and you gave up a 1st to get rid of him.
Come on man, there are extremists in EVERY fanbase....but in reality, Marleau was a cap dump, and those cost to move. Yes, a 1st is a high price and Dubas probably could have waited until after Patty's bonus was paid and paid a little less, but doing this deal now probably takes the threat of offersheets away.

Was it a fleecing? I don't think so...it was a move Toronto had to make, and Carolina benefits by getting a 1st. I am surprised it was the Canes though, i thought a team like Detroit or Ottawa would be prime for a move like this.

Edit: not sure if you thought my fleeced comment that you quoted was genuine, it was sarcasm....

Last edited by a moderator:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Come on man, there are extremists in EVERY fanbase....but in reality, Marleau was a cap dump, and those cost to move. Yes, a 1st is a high price and Dubas probably could have waited until after Patty's bonus was paid and paid a little less, but doing this deal now probably takes the threat of offersheets away.

Was it a fleecing? I don't think so...it was a move Toronto had to make, and Carolina benefits by getting a 1st. I am surprised it was the Canes though, i thought a team like Detroit or Ottawa would be prime for a move like this.

Edit: not sure if you thought my fleeced comment that you quoted was genuine, it was sarcasm....

I don't think it was the worst singular move made, it was something that had to be done but the price was heavy and it shouldn't have had to come to this.
Now with no 1st rounders in back to back years and multiple superstar contracts on the roster keeping the quality depth will be a challenge in some years from now.

Will be interesting to watch how Dubas figures out the defense, he has to know that's not enough for Cup.

Since when was Marleau not supposed to have negative value? He was always going to be negative value. The dumb takes around here...jesus.

After bonuses x could have a 20 goal scorer on a cheap money contract, great for teams who spend a little.

Must have missed all those comments.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I don't think it was the worst singular move made, it was something that had to be done but the price was heavy and it shouldn't have had to come to this.
Now with no 1st rounders in back to back years and multiple superstar contracts on the roster keeping the quality depth will be a challenge in some years from now.

Will be interesting to watch how Dubas figures out the defense, he has to know that's not enough for Cup.

After bonuses x could have a 20 goal scorer on a cheap money contract, great for teams who spend a little.

He is a terrible player on a terrible contract....on a team that desperately needed cap relief. Anyone that was under the illusion of him having any value whatsoever was off their rockers.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

One of comments was from me, and I still believe he can be a 20-20 guy only now for Carolina. I am not happy with the trade as I had hoped we could find away to keep him, but it will s done and we signed 2 of our three RFAs.

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
As a Leafs fan I'm happy to see Marleau go. That guy has been mooching off of other more talented players his whole career. Thornton basically carried him for a decade plus in San Jose. And before that it was Selanne and Damphousse doing the heavy lifting while Marleau was mooching the points. Hopefully Nylander will join him soon after he gets his bonus money...
Are you a Leafs fan?

pown

We are team
Oct 12, 2013
Ottawa
Dubas is so terrible, bottom 5 gms in the league, its amazing how he gets bullied like the lil schoolkid in the yard already. These contracts and trades are great fun

Reactions: The Winter Soldier
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad