Confirmed Trade: [TOR/CAR] Marleau, 2020 1st Rounder (Top 10 Prot.) & 2020 7th Rounder to CAR for 2020 6th Rounder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seras

Dubas supporter
Sep 1, 2015
New Westminster, BC. Canada
I mean.. Marleau was getting significant ice time towards the end of the season and playoffs.. yet Dubas was so desperate to get rid of him he paid a 1st? That shows what a disconnect there is between Dubas and Babcock, and based on Babcock's over reliance on Marleau I'd have little faith in Babcock and fear the game has passed his draconian ways by

Talk about reading alot into nothing

Reactions: shortfuze and mavis

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
No - but he did sign Tavares. With all this offensive fire power, did Leafs need Tavares? He's the cap buster.

What did you think was going to happen once you commit half your cap to 4 forwards?

Dubas got/is getting owned by Nylander, Matthews and soon Marner. Doesn't seem to have the intestinal fortitude to go to the wall when he has the hammer.
so you are saying the asset price for JT was a lotto protected 1rst next year???

SOLD!!!!!!! i will do that every day and twice on sunday.

NextYear67

Averaging over a like per post
Mar 2, 2018
GTA
- I am confident that the Leafs will pay no such price and still find a dance partner.

- If the insiders are right then we can just use the positive asset we gain from trading Zaitsev as the sweetener on Marleau, problem solved.

- LOL. A 2nd + good prospect is the most.

- What does that mean? Like top prospect? 1st round pick? People are insane. He is a 1 year cap dump and given his owed salary to cap hit he'd be a massive asset for them.

- You don't need to be connected to an actual GM to know he's not getting packaged with a 1st round pick.

- Leafs inevitably walk away from the negotiations and decide to pursue other options due to the outlandish asking price,

- Lol, no, that's not going to happen.

- No way in hell are the leafs paying a 2nd to move Marleau. You guys are delusional

- 3rd liner on the leafs is not 3rd liner on the rest of the teams. Should go without saying but the excuses keep piling up. I will wait for the trade then come back tbh

- A 1st to take on Marleau is ridiculous, you've lost all credibility if you actually think that's going to happen. You don't need to be a Leaf fan to realize how insane that sounds.

- Lmao @ people saying its gonna take leafs first to give with marleau loll. Are u guys serious? If dubas does that then he deserves to get fired.

- our first isnt going anywhere.....if anything leafs would have to give a 3rd and a small propsect.

- Ya the 1st Rd pick will be the new narrative around here for a few weeks till Marleau is traded for less then it's on to the next thing like Dubas overpaid Marner.

- Stupidest proposal of the day goes to...

- Instead of getting bent over in your hypothetical Marleau trade they would just move someone else. Simple.

- Serious? never gonna happen!

- I love these boards The narrative went from "There is no way Marleau will ever waive" to "It will take an arm and a leg to move Marleau".Reality is (and always has been.... this contract was designed for this very situation) Marleau will move for the cost of around a 2nd round pick at most.

- On July 2nd Marleau will be moved for a lot less then people on here are hoping.

- attaching a first round pick to him just to unload is crazy.

There you go. There's a bunch. Is that 20? IDK, I only got about halfway through the thread, if it was even that far.
That’s 19 and over half of which prove nothing. Gratz on your L

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
it has to be frustrating. no team in hockey has more money than Toronto.

What is your source for this statement ?

In Dec of 2018 Forbes released their 20th annual NHL team valuations and the Rangers have been first for 4 straight years . The number is currently a value 1.55 billion dollars. If you have something else let me know . Thanks

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Lol, the Leafs have one of the strongest forward groups in the league...but sure losing Patrick Marleau when he scores fewer points than his age means they don’t have any depth.

I would say our depth is ok, but with Hyman out for 6 months and Marleau gone we don't seem to be there (yet). Marleau is not everything to this team, but he is not a bum. I don't think Dubas looked at this latest playoff with a self-critical eye or honesty. He should re-think who has and re-tool. Is he signing all the good guys? Is he signing all the right guys? What about drafting in the 1st round?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
i don't understand when you say first/second year players filling top 10 rolls???

Matty/JT/MM/Nylander/Kadri/Reilly/muzzin/hyman/Dermott/Kappy/AJ/Zait , thats our top 12 right there.

that there is our top 2 lines and 2/3rds of our 3rd line plus our top 4 D

sorry, i don't see a flood of raw rookies there. There are 2 names you could call 2nd year and they just both posted 20g/40p seasons kk/aj

lets hope it works for you guys {at least you all can hope}
as a bruin fan theres a certain perverse joy for me

but honestly if you are happy with how things are going... be happy... lifes short... id be a lot less happy if I was a leaf fan so I envy you if you find peace with this situation

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

In Dec of 2018 Forbes released their 20th annual NHL team valuations and the Rangers have been first for 4 straight years . The number is currently a value 1.55 billion dollars. If you have something else let me know . Thanks

valuation is realized when a team is sold... making money is often associated with tv deals... merchandise... ticket sales... things like that

new York is a large market for sure and there might be someone there willing to pay 1.55 billion

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
valuation is realized when a team is sold... making money is often associated with tv deals... merchandise... ticket sales... things like that

new York is a large market for sure and there might be someone there willing to pay 1.55 billion

Would those considerations be part of the valuation as anticipated revenue ? Thanks

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
lets hope it works for you guys {at least you all can hope}
as a bruin fan theres a certain perverse joy for me

but honestly if you are happy with how things are going... be happy... lifes short... id be a lot less happy if I was a leaf fan so I envy you if you find peace with this situation
look, we just finished 12 seasons of pure hell here, we had i fluke POs the first time you beat us in 7
and then it all changed

we now have 2 STUD Cs , a STUD 1D and tender

a 3rd C that can play 2nd C

a STUD RW and maybe a 2nd if Melander decides to earn his pay.

2 20g/40p rookies

and 2 D in the minors that look to be upcoming solid to stud level players.

so ya, after 12 years of hell and now back to back 100+p seasons, i am happy TYVM.

and if winning the cup is the only thing that matters, then it must suck to be you all, i would rather our kids get the rest and work out time early, then shred your old core on a failed run like you all did.

Reactions: Smif

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009

Exchange rate on the dollar may have some influence here.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
A move that had to be made for the Leafs. Still don't know if they had to include their 1st round pick in their on a conditional basis.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
I am not a financial guy . Just an electrician. When I saw the Rags at the top I was just curious to what makes the teams the richest .
Thanks
I would imagine a combination of many things. Building if owned by team, crop of players (young , good players or old over the hill players, market penetration, TV rights (big one) luxury boxes and jersey sales to name a few. There are other variables

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
I would imagine a combination of many things. Building if owned by team, crop of players (young , good players or old over the hill players, market penetration, TV rights (big one) luxury boxes and jersey sales to name a few. There are other variables

My team is the islanders. We have Andrew Ladd . That would be a negative to the valuation I would imagine . I think we are still paying Rick Dipietro $1.5 mill per for another 10 years too.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Haven’t been shown a single thing actually. Just a bunch of fake news

You've been given links to numerous posts showing you what some Leafs fans have said regarding this. How is that fake news? How is that anything other than you pretending it doesn't exist?

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
After bonuses x could have a 20 goal scorer on a cheap money contract, great for teams who spend a little.

Must have missed all those comments.

I don't think you realize Marleau would only play for SJ. So, any other team trading for him would have to buy him out. SJ could not take the full contract hit and therefore any trade involving Marleau was strictly for a buyout. How can you get positive value for that?

If Marleau said okay, I'll go to any team and waived his NMC, then a first was an overpayment. But right now the trade was a first for 3M+ cash and a 6.25M cap hit, not for Marleau.

NextYear67

Averaging over a like per post
Mar 2, 2018
GTA
You've been given links to numerous posts showing you what some Leafs fans have said regarding this. How is that fake news? How is that anything other than you pretending it doesn't exist?
I was shown about 10 when the statement made was that it was MOST Leaf fans. Unless there's only 19 Leaf fans on here? Take the L, move on, next.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Would those considerations be part of the valuation as anticipated revenue ? Thanks

if its important to you then let them be second place

the Toronto media usually tosses it out that they are the richest team but honestly they dont show me their books

{and dont show to forbes either... I think if I remember right the rangers are added into another category in their parent corp numbers although I might be thinking of wcwrestling… anyhow point is that many nhl officials ive heard talk about this have said forbes numbers are out to lunch}

if you want to tell me ny has revenue streams bigger than Toronto it doesnt really change my original point

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
You’ve pointed to posts of Leafs fans discussing how many assets would be required to unload Marleau. So you are arguing to the posters point that no one said Leafs would get assets back for Marleau.

Also note you are highlighting discussions in which the margin of trade is somewhere between a 1st and a 3rd+“small prospect”. Keep in mind that most would have assumed Marleau to be traded after July 1 which would have brought the price closer to a 3rd+prospect. So this isn’t all that damning if you’re trying to find retribution for how Leafs fans “acted”.

Well, I don’t think I need “retribution” for how they acted. They vastly underestimated the cost of moving Marleau and that’s fine. Fans of every team overestimate the value of their positive assets and underestimate the value of their negative assets.

What I do have a problem with in here is the posters who are trying to re-write history and Leafs fans literally saying “HF eats crow” when the only fans on HF who are eating crow are...Leafs fans.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Well, I don’t think I need “retribution” for how they acted. They vastly underestimated the cost of moving Marleau and that’s fine. Fans of every team overestimate the value of their positive assets and underestimate the value of their negative assets.

What I do have a problem with in here is the posters who are trying to re-write history and Leafs fans literally saying “HF eats crow” when the only fans on HF who are eating crow are...Leafs fans.

The poster you replied to was talking to someone who said Leafs fans said Marleau would net positive assets. Who’s rewriting history?

And since we’re talking history, like I said I don’t think many were discussing in context of Leafs not paying the SB. But maybe there were a few.

Reactions: Randy Randerson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln