Confirmed with Link: [TOR/ANA] Frederik Andersen for 30th Overall + 2017 2nd Round Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
Maybe true but you don't need an 'elite' goalie to win a cup, I would argue that in a cap world paying for one is a hinder not a help. We also didn't pay the fee or salary of an elite goalie

My thoughts exactly.

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
Leaf fans...

Trade away a 27 year old, $8 million Conn Smythe finalist for draft picks "Whoohoo it's all part of the plan"

Trade away those draft picks for a 26 year old, $5 million back up goalie and make him your starter "Woohoo it's all part of the plan"

Perfect sense.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Last year the Oilers went out and got a 28yr old goalie with much better numbers than Andersen. For much less.

And then he performed a lot worse than he did with the Rangers. His quality start drastically went down to below .500 which is actually pretty bad. It means half of his starts he was at least average. Andersen quality of starts is much higher than Talbot's in the last two years.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I'm listening to an interview with his goalie coach, Dwayne Roloson (who knows a thing or three about being an NHL goalie), and he says that Andersen is definitely ready to be a #1 goalie and that he expects him to do very well in Toronto. Maybe those who are complaining about this deal should trust the experts who know far more than they do.

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
Schneider put up legit elite numbers prior to the trade, and in a role only marginally smaller than Andersen's. It's not a good comparison imo.

Don't get your point. We needed a goalie, we traded for the best young goalie available at the time. He has playoff experience and has played in a similar system to what Babs has implemented. Is he Schneider? No. Is he a starting #1? Yes, from what he has shown so far.

In no way is this a lack of patients move, its a hockey move. Did we pay too much? No, its not like we only have 5 picks left for this draft and the next. Now we can take our time and draft our Elite goal. This move will ultimately show how good or bad our D is.

Last edited:

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Leaf fans...

Trade away a 27 year old, $8 million Conn Smythe finalist for draft picks "Whoohoo it's all part of the plan"

Trade away those draft picks for a 26 year old, $5 million back up goalie and make him your starter "Woohoo it's all part of the plan"

Perfect sense.

Um...yes, in between we got the 1st overall pick. That was the plan! It worked. Now we can stop trying to be bad.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Leaf fans...

Perfect sense.

Lol. He wouldn't have had the chance to even achieve that distinction had we kept him. Leafs were going nowhere fast with Kessel, and his value only would've dropped more.

Also Andersen isn't a backup but whatever.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Yeah if Kessel stays here, he doesn't become a Smythe finalist. He gets 55-60 points and more waffles thrown at him, and we'd never convince anyone he could be a Smythe contender.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
And then he performed a lot worse than he did with the Rangers. His quality start drastically went down to below .500 which is actually pretty bad. It means half of his starts he was at least average. Andersen quality of starts is much higher than Talbot's in the last two years.

last year, in his first year with a full starter's workload, his elite stats as a backup predictably dropped to mediocre stats as a starter - .917sv%.

In Andersen's one season with a full starter's workload, he posted a .914sv%.

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
Um...yes, in between we got the 1st overall pick. That was the plan! It worked. Now we can stop trying to be bad.

I think we are too good right now to be bad anymore. Too many high end young player ready for the NHL, with a first overall pick on top.

LWOSLEAFS

Apr 20, 2016
I'm listening to an interview with his goalie coach, Dwayne Roloson (who knows a thing or three about being an NHL goalie), and he says that Andersen is definitely ready to be a #1 goalie and that he expects him to do very well in Toronto. Maybe those who are complaining about this deal should trust the experts who know far more than they do.

The experts also brought Leaf fans Raycroft, Toskala, Gustavsson and Bernier.

Did you think his goalie coach would say anything but good things about his pupil?

Anointing a guy with a limited body of work in the most demanding market in the league smacks of high risk to me.

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site

I'm as excited as anybody for Auston Matthews. But getting the first overall pick is not a plan. It's luck.

The Leafs needed an incredible amount of luck to finish last overall. A single extra win (or loss from Edmonton) would have put them 29th.

They then needed an incredible amount of luck to win the lottery itself.

And of course there's still the uncertainty in terms of whether Matthews will actually end up being the best player in this draft. Maybe after all that it will turn out they would have been better off with the second pick. Or the fifth. Or the tenth. There's still a lot left to be written.

That is not a plan. Far, far too much is out of your control to call that a plan.

I don't see how this Andersen trade fits any kind of new plan. Seems exactly like the moves we've been making for the last decade.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
last year, in his first year with a full starter's workload, his elite stats as a backup predictably dropped to mediocre stats as a starter - .917sv%.

In Andersen's one season with a full starter's workload, he posted a .914sv%.

Which then he posted .919 sv% next year under a team that was bottom 5 in the first couple of months. I like Talbot but the guy is too inconsistent. At least with Andersen you know he's gonna perform a bit better than average, or even more, which is enough to contend for the cup.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
When you consider the price we paid you have to factor in the contract as well on top of the picks. I don't understand how some people are acting like that contract is a non-factor.

If he continues his same level of play he'll be more than worth his salary

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
If he continues his same level of play he'll be more than worth his salary

His avg salary per year would rank him 18th among goaltenders. If we can get him to perform like a top ten goaltender this contract would be a steal. Of course if it doesn't work out at least it isn't a front loaded contract.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Lol. He wouldn't have had the chance to even achieve that distinction had we kept him. Leafs were going nowhere fast with Kessel, and his value only would've dropped more.

Also Andersen isn't a backup but whatever.

the irritating thing whomever we got it it really seems like it was going to be a massive gripe
"Omg - we got Fleury - he's too old he doesn't fit, gripe gripe gripe."
"Omg - we got Bishop! he's too injury prone, and too expensive cap wise, gripe gripe gripe."
"Omg - we got Howard, can you believe it, he's garbage, gripe gripe gripe."
"Omg! - we got Elliott, he's not good enough, he chokes, gripe, gripe gripe."

now matter whom we got it would be an issue.
again I'm not going to be all smart-butt here and pretend I understand his numbers - I don't. but to me it doesn't matter per se. I think what matters is that he's a very athletic goalie who is also good on his angles and positioning. And he's tall - something that Babcock griped about the entire season. ON height average Freddie is now the third tallest in our division. (He also has good numbers vs. our division, if people care about this thing).

it takes the same amount of energy to be positive, as it does to be negative. why for the life of me people want to go run into the negative side of the pool is beyond me.

so many times this team in the past traded for players (period) without a contract in hand, and they had arb rights. Lou eliminated that. He bought up 4 ufa years so if it plays off well (which - it very well could in the system that Babcock employs), he's now being paid less than a lot of starters in the league. if it bites the biscuit - you can still manage to make it work.

It's only a problem when it becomes a problem - and it very, easily could not be a problem. and a lot of other options out there would have/could have cost a lot more.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I'm as excited as anybody for Auston Matthews. But getting the first overall pick is not a plan. It's luck.

The Leafs needed an incredible amount of luck to finish last overall. A single extra win (or loss from Edmonton) would have put them 29th.

They then needed an incredible amount of luck to win the lottery itself.

And of course there's still the uncertainty in terms of whether Matthews will actually end up being the best player in this draft. Maybe after all that it will turn out they would have been better off with the second pick. Or the fifth. Or the tenth. There's still a lot left to be written.

That is not a plan. Far, far too much is out of your control to call that a plan.

I don't see how this Andersen trade fits any kind of new plan. Seems exactly like the moves we've been making for the last decade.

All you can do is give yourself the best odds in the lottery. We were indeed lucky that we actually got 1st overall, but it was certainly planned to be one of the team's with the best shot at it.

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
Yeah if Kessel stays here, he doesn't become a Smythe finalist. He gets 55-60 points and more waffles thrown at him, and we'd never convince anyone he could be a Smythe contender.

Not my point to debate the merits of the Kessel trade. I don't want to take this off topic.

My point I don't see how both the Kessel trade and Andersen trade can both fit in this plan the leafs have.

Your argument goes both ways.

I could just as easily argue that had he been playing for the Leafs the last two years, Andersen wouldn't have those great playoff numbers every keeps pointing to.

If Andersen's playing for the Leafs the last two seasons he sure as hell isn't signing a $25 million contract right now.

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
All you can do is give yourself the best odds in the lottery. We were indeed lucky that we actually got 1st overall, but it was certainly planned to be one of the team's with the best shot at it.

We came within a hair of landing McDavid the season before.

Our odds of winning the lottery didn't really change significantly from the year before.

We were unlucky with McDavid. Lucky with Matthews. End of story.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
My question is: what do those who are against this trade expect?

If we hypothetically acquire Bishop that is 5.9m a year for an aging goaltender, who right now is great, but will not fit the age of the group - especially when we compete.
On top of this, we would give up 30th pick, 2nd, Kapanen level prospect and potentially more. EVERYONE WOULD BE FREAKING OUT. The same people complaining about the Andersen deal would be saying "should have gotten Andersen for a cheaper price".
If we hypothetically got a goaltender like Calvin Pickard who has no playoff experience, 36 games played with a small sample to draw from - EVERYONE WOULD BE FREAKING OUT. The same people complaining about the Andersen deal would be saying "Should have gotten Andersen, a more mature & slightly experienced goaltender".
If we stick with Bernier (which I was originally hoping for) then we miss the boat on Andersen - who is a perfect fit for our organization and our immediate and future needs.
Yes, we could draft a goaltender and wait 7 years while we just hop from one **** goalie to the next.

Some of you fans are never happy, but this is the best avenue to take at this time. He could turn out to be a complete dud but that is the risk you take with ANY young goaltender.

Point being: We do not have the proper assets to acquire a Bishop, nor does someone over 28/29 fit the Toronto Maple Leafs culture. It has been obvious since day 1 that Management is not high on Bernier. And I am sure management has done their homework on Freddy.

Provide a better alternative and try rationalizing it before claiming that this hockey move is the wrong move.

Unhealthy Scratch

Auston 4:16
Mar 15, 2016
The idea was to maximise our chances of obtaining the first overall pick, and to guarantee at worst fourth.

By your criteria, nothing in hockey can be part of a "plan" because it all involves some element of uncertainty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad