Confirmed with Link: [TOR/ANA] Frederik Andersen for 30th Overall + 2017 2nd Round Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I mean...we all know Reimer was amazing last year. The problem is his career stats make that look like an outlier, not something that should be expected in the future.

I was more looking at him vs. the league average. It is interesting how good a season Reimer did have last year though.

Really starting not to be as mad about the trade anymore, but man, did I not want this to happen in the first place.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It'll be fascinating (though unlikely) if we ever found out what kind of stats they developed to evaluate goaltenders. Mirtle and a few others had reported that is one of the things the Leafs stats department had been working on.

Edit: typos

Last edited:

Unhealthy Scratch

Auston 4:16
Mar 15, 2016
It'll be fascinating (though unlikely) if we ever found out what kind of stats they developed to evaluate goaltenders. Little and a few others had reported that is one of the things the aleafs stats department had been working on.
In an article today, Mirtle alluded to some of the in-depth analytical work that went into this deal. It's hard to imagine why an otherwise prudent management group would commit two draft picks and a 5-year, $25M contract to a goalie they had no pressing need for unless something really jumped out at them when they were reviewing the scouting reports/analytics.

Call me a homer but I think some people might not be giving Shanny/Lou/Dubas/etc. enough credit on this one.

Last edited:

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
In an article today, Mirtle alluded to some of the in-depth analytical work that went into this deal. It's hard to imagine why an otherwise prudent management group would commit two draft picks and a 5-year, $25M contract to a goalie they had no pressing need for unless something really jumped out at them when they were reviewing the scouting reports/analytics.

The pressing need was for a goalie to stop pucks so the kids that will be on the team won't get blown out every night. The need was for a stabilizing presence and growth with the kids that will be on the team.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Problem is you can't just get good goaltending when you need it.

You don't want to build a great team and then end up like Philly did and spend two decades searching for competent goaltending. You can't just get one whenever you want, and if you can, it won't be a stud, and the other team is going to grill you for it because they aren't just going to give a team their final piece.

LWOSLEAFS

Apr 20, 2016
First off, If Parsons or Fitzpatrick are there at 30, there is a pretty damn good chance they will be there at 31. They may even, and at least one likely WILL be there at 57. Trading for Anderson does NOT mean the Leafs are no longer allowed to draft a goalie this week-end.

Personally - I think the timing is perfect. Anderson is turning 27 in October - he's entering his prime. We will have a roster with a significant number of kids on it, and having competent goaltending means that every mistake they make will not show up on the scoreboard. I actually hope they keep Bernier until at least the Trade Deadline in order to shelter Sparks & Bibeau who are clearly not ready - nor should they be due to age & experience.

Anderson has had an above average save percentage at every level of professional hockey. He is a #1 goalie in the NHL right now. He will buy us the time to draft and develop his replacement - whomever that may be.

People are acting like we just traded for a 37 year old goalie. :shakehead As far as I can see, Bishop would cost a TONNE, and not necessarily be that much better. MAF is a non-starter. Elliot is too old. Other options like Subban & Kinkaid are completely unproven and too big of a risk.

Lou got the best available goalie at the best possible age for the rebuild. Solid goaltending is like having veterans in your lineup - necessary to avoiding Edmontonitis. The cost was in line if not better than what San Jose paid for Jones and Buffalo paid for Lehner. Anyone drafted at #30 would have been 4 years away from having an impact if at all.

Picking either Parsons or Fitzpatrick at 31 would be a wasted pick. I would rather see those picks used on a forward or a defender. A later second or early third on either makes sense. By "later pick", I didnt mean the next pick.

Your argument for acquiring a relatively inexperienced goaltender and anointing him your starter for five years while you develop youth confuses me. To my mind, that would be the ideal time to sit tight and wait another year - or at least the deadline - before committing. Ideally, a poised veteran with 400+ games would be the guy you want to anchor your team, not a young man trying to prove he's your guy.

Not sure where the 37 year old guy argument fits in this discussion. I would have preferred for them to wait a year and let the team develop, allow Bernier to acquit himself in a contract year (like Reimer did last year). Make a decision at a later date when it matters. Bishop makes no sense because of his contract status. Why is MAF a non-starter?

Your entire argument appears to be based on a need to make a move NOW. I don't see it that way. They didn't need to contemplate MAF, Bishop, Elliot or Andersen this year at all.

I really like Andersen. He's a very good goalie with a sound technical game and ideal size. He was also platooning with a guy four years his junior in a pretty quiet hockey market. He's only played 50+ games once in his career, two seasons ago. How does any of that equate to uncontested starter in the toughest market in the game? And more importantly, why the urgency? The argument of stabilizing the group to mask youthful mistakes doesn't make a ton of hockey sense. That could breed bad defensive habits, and would be counter intuitive to the way Babcock wants them playing. Ideally, a poised veteran who has that calming effect so guys relax and read situations calmly is what you want, not a guy doing backflips so guys get used to cheating on assignments.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I humbly disagree.

There were a number of posters (myself included) who have brought up the possibility of Lou getting us a #1 goalie sooner as opposed to later and from all the possibilities I've seen discussed, it seems like most people had Andersen as the most desirable option.

Lou likes his goalies. I agree, there was lots of talk about getting a new goalie, most know it's imperative, some even suggested Andersen. It's not a reach at all.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
Well when your vast expertise lands you an NHL GM job you can make that decision.

To all the arm chair GM'S on this forum

I trust Lou more than what you think you know.

All you naysayers with your woulda coulda shoulda are just
Blowing smoke out your ass

We trade a pick at 30 where most of you wanted to take a goalie who may or may not ever make it to the NHL
And we still have 11 picks in this draft

Then we trade a late round second next year to complete the deal and again to some of you it's the end of the world
And we still have two second round picks next year

This management will not do anything that goes against improving our team. This is not a nonis/Burke fly by the seat of your pants trade and sign. This is a legitimate hockey trade that sets us up for the future

Again I trust this management more that all the know it all who come out of the woodwork to complain

Unhealthy Scratch

Auston 4:16
Mar 15, 2016
The pressing need was for a goalie to stop pucks so the kids that will be on the team won't get blown out every night. The need was for a stabilizing presence and growth with the kids that will be on the team.
Problem is you can't just get good goaltending when you need it.

You don't want to build a great team and then end up like Philly did and spend two decades searching for competent goaltending. You can't just get one whenever you want, and if you can, it won't be a stud, and the other team is going to grill you for it because they aren't just going to give a team their final piece.
I agree with you guys - what I meant to say is that there was no apparent need to go out and acquire this particular goalie with so many alternatives available, so the fact that they did suggests to me that something (or some combination of things) in the analytics or scouting reports may have jumped out and convinced them that this was their guy.

If nothing else, they wanted to make sure the Ducks didn't end up moving him somewhere else first. The rumours of the Leafs' interest date back to over a year ago, so they've definitely had their eye on him.

Last edited:

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Ideally, a poised veteran with 400+ games would be the guy you want to anchor your team, not a young man trying to prove he's your guy.

Well obviously. Carey Price would be ideal too.

You can't just build your team and then be like "Alright who is going to give us their poised veteran #1 goaltender with 400+ games?"

That plan has some holes. In fact there's barely anything there and it's almost all hole.

Edit: For reference, here are the active goaltenders with 400+GP

Luongo
Lundqvist
Miller
Fleury
Ward
Lehtonen
Quick
AndersOn
Price
Rinne
Smith
Backstrom
Mason
Hiller

4 are near retirement or practically there already. A couple you wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole unless you get them for next to nothing. Good luck getting one of the ones you actually want like Price or Rinne, while everyone else is at least as questionable as Andersen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad