Top Ten Best Fighters of All-Time?

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Couldn't do just a top 10, so did a top 12 instead -

I like Grimson, but I've never thought of him as a top 10 guy. He had too many off years as far as win/loss record. He dominated other seasons, but he's a borderline 15-20 guy for me.

Same thing with Crowder. In his case, the argument is even stronger against, because of the lack of longevity.

Curious to know why you picked those two.

bobbyp6565

4th Line Goon
Sep 8, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Grimson - over a 2-1 win/loss record in his career with most of his losses coming early in his career. Later in his career he rarely lost. Was one of the top heavyweights during the age of the heavyweight.

Crowder - before injuries curtailed his career, he along with Probert were the two most feared fighters in the league.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Grimson - over a 2-1 win/loss record in his career with most of his losses coming early in his career. Later in his career he rarely lost. Was one of the top heavyweights during the age of the heavyweight.

Crowder - before injuries curtailed his career, he along with Probert were the two most feared fighters in the league.

Fair enough. Grimson was great during the late to mid 90's. But I would say Twist, Simon and McCarthy were above him at that time. Ironically, I don't have any of those players in my top 10. Twist would come the closest, probably.

Crowder I can see no argument for. He was great around the early 90's, but it was for a very, very short time. Too short to make a top 10 all time fighters list.

bobbyp6565

4th Line Goon
Sep 8, 2013
Baltimore, MD
You're entitled to your opinion, as am I. Crowder's in my top-12. Others have McSorley and Brashear on their lists - IMO, they hugged too much. Different opinions, different lists.

Twist was a beast but is disqualified IMO for the same reason McGwire, Sosa and Bonds will never make the HOF.

AmadiosAmigos

Oct 27, 2010
Link Gaetz and Bob Probert had a great tilt back in the day!

Laraque and Brashear should never be near a top 10 list, nor should Colton Orr.

Tie Domi I can live with. Wasnt a fan, but had a cement head.

Bob Probert #1 forever.

For you old timers, what about Terry Oreilly?

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Link Gaetz and Bob Probert had a great tilt back in the day!

Laraque and Brashear should never be near a top 10 list, nor should Colton Orr.

Tie Domi I can live with. Wasnt a fan, but had a cement head.

Bob Probert #1 forever.

For you old timers, what about Terry Oreilly?

I understand the Brashear hate, but his fight card and his win/loss record are unparalleled in the sport, for that many total fights. His style was a boring one, but effective.

Laraque is a similar fighter, but way less total fights than Brashear.

O'Reilly was a great fighter. Not top 10, but definitely one of the old school greats.

Reactions: Bench Clearer

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Fair enough. Grimson was great during the late to mid 90's. But I would say Twist, Simon and McCarthy were above him at that time. Ironically, I don't have any of those players in my top 10. Twist would come the closest, probably.

Crowder I can see no argument for. He was great around the early 90's, but it was for a very, very short time. Too short to make a top 10 all time fighters list.

Sandy? I'm a younger fan, but my memories involved Cairns beating him up.

Really wish I was around a bit for some of these fighers like Twist, Kocur and Grimson that don't get the same rep as someone like McSorely or Probert.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I'm curious to see if Brian McGrattan makes this list in a couple of years...

He's definitely the Champ right now, and well, probably the past two years as well.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Sandy? I'm a younger fan, but my memories involved Cairns beating him up.

Really wish I was around a bit for some of these fighers like Twist, Kocur and Grimson that don't get the same rep as someone like McSorely or Probert.

McCarthy was one of the best fighters of the 90's. A monster in his prime. His last few years in the league were very underwhelming, but that doesn't take away from his legacy.

I don't have him in the top 10, but he certainly belongs in a discussion of all time greats.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Who would you guys say the scariest fighter of all time was? I think Probert was the best but I would be willing to bet guys would rather fight him than Kocur. Going Kocur could end careers, I dont think anyone has as many KOs as he does in history

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Who would you guys say the scariest fighter of all time was? I think Probert was the best but I would be willing to bet guys would rather fight him than Kocur. Going Kocur could end careers, I dont think anyone has as many KOs as he does in history

ray had a lot of KOs.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown

Guys like Kocur and Bosse could definitely hurt you badly with one punch. If you count KO's plus TKO's, Kocur has to have more than anyone in NHL history. But he still found plenty of takers just based on sheer fights.

I've always thought a guy like Dave Brown would be a scary guy to fight. He threw hard and enjoyed hurting people. He's a guy I'd expect to keep hitting me even after the fight was over. No mercy. But even Brown found plenty of willing opponents.

Twist is a good example of a scary fighter who couldn't find many takers. His fight card in the mid 90's was relatively short compared to his contemporaries. I doubt it's because he was the one ducking somebody.

Gillies is another one, but in his case, I think he didn't want to fight much after he hurt Hospodar. He seemed to have a long fuse. Or maybe it's because he was too important to his team.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I'd say Joey Kocur was the most destructive fighter. The way he threw punches were scary, he threw his whole body into them.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I'd say Joey Kocur was the most destructive fighter. The way he threw punches were scary, he threw his whole body into them.

And I think Boogaard was the most fearful fighter. I do not think anyone could hurt people like him.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
And I think Boogaard was the most fearful fighter. I do not think anyone could hurt people like him.

Another good choice. Boogaard was scary. Not many people wanted to fight him.

How about Steve MacIntyre? Seems like no one wants to fight him anymore. He's KO'd a lot of opponents and is bigger than just about anybody. I know he hasn't played that many games the last few years, but it does look like people are ducking him.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Boogard played at a time where heavyweights were really watered down and still didnt hurt as many people as Kocur did

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Another good choice. Boogaard was scary. Not many people wanted to fight him.

How about Steve MacIntyre? Seems like no one wants to fight him anymore. He's KO'd a lot of opponents and is bigger than just about anybody. I know he hasn't played that many games the last few years, but it does look like people are ducking him.

Steve MacIntyre is scary. Has knockout power in both hands. Paul Laus had great knockout power as well.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I agree with Big Mac as well, damn that guy hits hard.

Would love to see that guy play in the NHL for more than 2/3 games a season.

fireworks

Apr 17, 2009
Bobcaygeon
Just an excuse to post this one.

I could watch this fight everyday and it would bring a smile to my face every single time!

Huge Stan Jonathan fan. I'm honestly not sure about my top 10 fighters of all time. But, Jonathan was an absolute beast and tough as ****!

Mike Martin

Nov 1, 2013
Nilan was not a heavyweight, I don't recall many fighters being afraid of him, neither was Berube. Crowder was a heavyweight but as others have mentioned he just had too short a career in terms of seasons and games played to be qualified to rank among the elite fighters.

bobbyp6565

4th Line Goon
Sep 8, 2013
Baltimore, MD
a lot of those guys are more known in other jerseys

I agree, especially for Probert, Nilan and Crowder, but these pics are all from game worn jerseys I own, so had to go with what I have........

Nilan was not a heavyweight, I don't recall many fighters being afraid of him, neither was Berube. Crowder was a heavyweight but as others have mentioned he just had too short a career in terms of seasons and games played to be qualified to rank among the elite fighters.

Nilan was 92-42 in his career and fought all of the heavyweights in his day. Same with the Chief - 143-46 in his career. They weren't in the same class as Probie or Brown, but they were heavyweights in their day and very successful ones at that.

Oct 15, 2008
Dave Brown
Bob Probert
Dave Schultz
Derrick Boogaard
Wendel Clark
Dave Semenko
John Wensink
Stan Jonathan
Chris Nilan
Chris Simon

Ad