Top Ten Best Fighters of All-Time?

ekcut

The Refs shot JFK.
Jul 25, 2007
Edmonton
Laraque is Lennox Lewis. Perhaps the best ever, but just not very exciting.

Winner by decision time and time again, in a boring scrap.
He didn't lose many, but he didn't put anyone away either.
Good fighter, terrible enforcer. He wouldn't fight without receiving a written RSVP to his engraved personalized invitation. He didn't scare anyone who wasn't 6'5 250lbs. Everyone smaller then that knew he wouldn't lay a finger on them.

Probert was far and away the best enforcer ever. He was a top 5 fighter, but he was also a lose cannon who could lose it at any moment. People lost sleep the day before games versus Detroit!
Throw in soft hands for a big guy around the net and he became legendary.

ogoaltrop

Oct 9, 2011
The poster who mentioned Stan Johnathon is right on ! Tough lil s o b for sure. The Islanders had a tough little dude around the same era as well, name escapes me at the moment.

A few others that come to mind are..... Nick Fotiu and Mel Bridgeman

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
The poster who mentioned Stan Johnathon is right on ! Tough lil s o b for sure. The Islanders had a tough little dude around the same era as well, name escapes me at the moment.

A few others that come to mind are..... Nick Fotiu and Mel Bridgeman

I think you're thinking of Garry Howatt, I think he's gotten a couple of mentions as a tough small guy. IIRC, he was mean little cuss who used to go with everyone because he had a special hairpulling trick. He was still mean, but less effective after his "trick" was outlawed. Think Rob Ray only smaller. Howatt ended up on the losing end of an epic battle when he started suckering one of the all-time best middleweights, Wayne Cashman.

ogoaltrop

Oct 9, 2011
Howatt ! Good call Oggie !!

Honorable mention to Danny Gare of the same era for lil guys.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I think you're thinking of Garry Howatt, I think he's gotten a couple of mentions as a tough small guy. IIRC, he was mean little cuss who used to go with everyone because he had a special hairpulling trick. He was still mean, but less effective after his "trick" was outlawed. Think Rob Ray only smaller. Howatt ended up on the losing end of an epic battle when he started suckering one of the all-time best middleweights, Wayne Cashman.

You mean this fight? For some reason it cuts off before Cashman really lays the blows to him. Cashman ends up walloping Howatt at the end. Its a funny thing, in that brawl Bob Lorimer gets smoked by Stan Jonathan. Howatt sees Lorimer all bloodied and goes beserk, but he doesn't go after Jonathan and instead sucker punches Cashman. Which wasn't a good idea either.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
1. Bob Probert
2. Tony Twist
3. Dave Brown
4. Tie Domi
5. Behn Wilson
6. Derek Boogaard
7. John Ferguson
8. Donald Brashear
9. Joey Kocur
10. Chris Nilan

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Gordie Howe should be there. Didn't fight too much because nobody really wanted to take him on.

One other guy that was really tough. Stan Jonathon with the Bruins, I'm sure you could hit him on the head with a shovel and he wouldn't blink.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
You mean this fight? For some reason it cuts off before Cashman really lays the blows to him. Cashman ends up walloping Howatt at the end. Its a funny thing, in that brawl Bob Lorimer gets smoked by Stan Jonathan. Howatt sees Lorimer all bloodied and goes beserk, but he doesn't go after Jonathan and instead sucker punches Cashman. Which wasn't a good idea either.

Here's the full meal deal. Howatt/Cashman starts around 4:28

rick3652

Aug 18, 2009
Toronto
In your opinion, who are the top ten best fighters of all-time? Here is my personal list:

1. Bob Probert

2. Dave Brown

3. Behn Wilson

4. Larry Playfair

5. Joey Kocur

6. Tony Twist

7. Bob Nystrom

8. Marty McSorley

9. Bob "Battleship" Kelly

10. Donald Brashear

Most people can not fill this in as they will only say who they saw or heard of.. But here are three guys i seen and they never lost a fight.

Orland Kurtenbach

John Ferguson

Larry Robinson.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Laraque is Lennox Lewis. Perhaps the best ever, but just not very exciting.

Winner by decision time and time again, in a boring scrap.
He didn't lose many, but he didn't put anyone away either.
Good fighter, terrible enforcer. He wouldn't fight without receiving a written RSVP to his engraved personalized invitation. He didn't scare anyone who wasn't 6'5 250lbs. Everyone smaller then that knew he wouldn't lay a finger on them.

Probert was far and away the best enforcer ever. He was a top 5 fighter, but he was also a lose cannon who could lose it at any moment. People lost sleep the day before games versus Detroit!
Throw in soft hands for a big guy around the net and he became legendary.

I stopped right here...

He isn't even in the top-50

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
1. Bob Probert
2. Tony Twist
3. Dave Brown
4. Tie Domi
5. Behn Wilson
6. Derek Boogaard
7. John Ferguson
8. Donald Brashear
9. Joey Kocur
10. Chris Nilan

There is no way Domi is 4th ahead of guys like Kocur, Wilson, or Ferguson. He did great for his size but he was not nearly as dominant as others. Hes not as tough as Howe was either, Domi was never the champ of his league, hell when he was playing I dont think he should probably be top 4 not to mention on an all time list

Last edited:

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Most people can not fill this in as they will only say who they saw or heard of.. But here are three guys i seen and they never lost a fight.

Orland Kurtenbach

John Ferguson

Larry Robinson.

I was always under the impression that shillsbury beat up Robinson but I just watched the youtube of it and damn! Could Big Bird ever toss em. That was a good scrap.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Sean Cronin "The Barbarian" tuned Crowder a couple times back in the day.
Jimmy Kyte & Tim Hunter had some great ones. Rocky Thompson was another very entertaining fighter.

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
Ken Dryden dissed his teammate Robinson's fighting skills in "The Game". Basically said he had two really good fights (one vs. Dave Schultz...can't remember the other) and suddenly he had a feared reputation.

Claims Robinson got handled by a couple of mediocre fighters and Dryden was surprised that more people didn't challenge him.

Reactions: 57special

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
1. Wilson
2. Probert
3. Brown
4. Kocur
5. Brashear
6. Gillies
7. Playfair
8. Nystrom