Proposal: Top 6 C to CBJ (List in OP)

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
If you want to contend this year, and I think CLB is a sleeping giant at the moment, I think you have to pull the trigger on a deal because the team isn't slotted perfectly upfront.

IMO losing Bill Karlsson hurt. PLD will take maybe another 2 years before becoming that top line center.... he's definitely not close to the two guys that went ahead of him but he's a blue-chipper. You have other guys that will be pushing for spots soon in Abramov, Stenlund.

The defense is stacked, even if they're underperforming. The Jackets have enough to package themselves a nice center.

My questions are the following:

Are you willing to move Calvert &/or Foligno?

What's your take on Murray?

If you were to look at your forward depth chart, where would you slot your players?

EG:

Panarin-XXX-Atkinson
Foligno-Wennberg/PLD-Bjork
Jenner-Dubinsky-Anderson
XXX-Sedlak-XXX

IMO CLB is maybe two trades away from contending for a 3-4 year run, and a scary good stretch at that.
Jarmo has preached the long term since he took over, he's not looking for shortcuts to a cup, he knows true contenders are built through draft. The jackets are first in their division and have several key guys struggling.

If Wennberg gets going and Dubois can continue to progress our need for a center vanishes. We need some solid depth. The bottom line has been a couple of guys juggling spots and no one really solidify themselves. They all have a good game but then follow it up with a couple subpar performances.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
If you want to contend this year, and I think CLB is a sleeping giant at the moment, I think you have to pull the trigger on a deal because the team isn't slotted perfectly upfront.

IMO losing Bill Karlsson hurt. PLD will take maybe another 2 years before becoming that top line center.... he's definitely not close to the two guys that went ahead of him but he's a blue-chipper. You have other guys that will be pushing for spots soon in Abramov, Stenlund.

The defense is stacked, even if they're underperforming. The Jackets have enough to package themselves a nice center.

My questions are the following:

Are you willing to move Calvert &/or Foligno?

What's your take on Murray?

If you were to look at your forward depth chart, where would you slot your players?

EG:

Panarin-XXX-Atkinson
Foligno-Wennberg/PLD-Bjork
Jenner-Dubinsky-Anderson
XXX-Sedlak-XXX

IMO CLB is maybe two trades away from contending for a 3-4 year run, and a scary good stretch at that.
Losing Wild Bill Karlsson did hurt, but every team lost someone decent. Wild Bill was a fan favorite but not a core player. PLD has shown he is much more effective at center than he is at wing. He is definitely holding his own playing C on the top line. Columbus doesn't need to pull the trigger on any deals. They just have to hope PLD doesn't run into the rookie wall.

Murray is a key core player and should not be available. I know lots of fans on HF want to downgrade Murray, but just watch the Jackets defense with and without him the past two years.

Calvert and Foligno should be available for the right deal, but I don't even know what the right deal might be. Columbus doesn't need a C, they don't need wingers or defensemen. What they could use is a franchise forward and maybe a proven backup goalie, maybe.

This team reminds me of the Blues of a few years ago. Solid everywhere, no real holes but no franchise player that can put the team on his back and will them to a Cup.

Reactions: Dumais and Viqsi

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Losing Wild Bill Karlsson did hurt, but every team lost someone decent. Wild Bill was a fan favorite but not a core player. PLD has shown he is much more effective at center than he is at wing. He is definitely holding his own playing C on the top line. Columbus doesn't need to pull the trigger on any deals. They just have to hope PLD doesn't run into the rookie wall.

Murray is a key core player and should not be available. I know lots of fans on HF want to downgrade Murray, but just watch the Jackets defense with and without him the past two years.

Calvert and Foligno should be available for the right deal, but I don't even know what the right deal might be. Columbus doesn't need a C, they don't need wingers or defensemen. What they could use is a franchise forward and maybe a proven backup goalie, maybe.

This team reminds me of the Blues of a few years ago. Solid everywhere, no real holes but no franchise player that can put the team on his back and will them to a Cup.
Strongly Agree with the 1st 2 and strongly disagree with 2nd 2.

Karlson leaving was nessasary in order to open up roster spots. PLD or Milano wouldn' have made the opening night team and while Milano is down currently because we have no room in the top 6 where he needs to be and we had space to start the year with Jenner out and Anderson missing game one but Milano was key in those early games. We might not be 1st now if not for him and certainly not of PLD went down because we didn't need him for C depth of Karlson was here.

We need Murray and he's the most underrated D on this site likely. No need to even say more as it's been covered a million times.

Fligs and Calvert should not be available. Calvert is a 4th liner and is the perfect 4th line player and PK guy. Also the longest tenured jacket. Foligno is the captain and while struggling now there is no reason to sell low on the guy who has been the leader of the team through this rebuild and been a huge part of it. We can't have a team with the oldest forward being Panarin.

And I think any player on our top line right now and our top pair D are all 5 players that seem to just go at all times and play like they want the whole team to follow their lead. Panarin said on that 5 assist game he felt like the team needed him so he put them on his back and brought them to the promise land.

Reactions: Viqsi
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Strongly Agree with the 1st 2 and strongly disagree with 2nd 2.

Karlson leaving was nessasary in order to open up roster spots. PLD or Milano wouldn' have made the opening night team and while Milano is down currently because we have no room in the top 6 where he needs to be and we had space to start the year with Jenner out and Anderson missing game one but Milano was key in those early games. We might not be 1st now if not for him and certainly not of PLD went down because we didn't need him for C depth of Karlson was here.

We need Murray and he's the most underrated D on this site likely. No need to even say more as it's been covered a million times.

Fligs and Calvert should not be available. Calvert is a 4th liner and is the perfect 4th line player and PK guy. Also the longest tenured jacket. Foligno is the captain and while struggling now there is no reason to sell low on the guy who has been the leader of the team through this rebuild and been a huge part of it. We can't have a team with the oldest forward being Panarin.

And I think any player on our top line right now and our top pair D are all 5 players that seem to just go at all times and play like they want the whole team to follow their lead. Panarin said on that 5 assist game he felt like the team needed him so he put them on his back and brought them to the promise land.

Basically, I'm saying the only thing Columbus needs is a franchise player. If one of those somehow becomes available, Calvert and Foligno should definitely be available as a part of a package.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Basically, I'm saying the only thing Columbus needs is a franchise player. If one of those somehow becomes available, Calvert and Foligno should definitely be available as a part of a package.
So basically you have some big rowboats to give up for a battleship. No problem there!

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
We have more then enough value in players at all positions and prospects are the same we just need to find the battleship that's being moved because the fleet it's with needs weapons upgrades. Anyone who can look at the Jackets and not find a piece other then the 5 I listed that is high value in a vacuum or to their team either doesn't know hockey or has the greatest team ever assembled.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I think you mean "franchise forward". ;) I would already categorize Z and Jones as such.

* * *​
So basically you have some big rowboats to give up for a battleship. No problem there!
Which is why I don't think there's much profit in discussing trades beyond depth shuffles, but there's obviously differences of opinion as to its necessity.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
Jarmo sent him to Sweden before camp even started and told him to win the 1C job with his team.

The comments from jarmo during the summer were that he told Stenlund that he wanted him in North America but Stenlund wanted to spend one more year in Sweden and Jarmo was gonna support him in that decision. Stenlund had already played in a 1C role in the playoffs the months before. Either way, whoever made that call, Jarmo or Stenlund, I think we can expect to see him over next season playing top 6 in AHL or fighting for a call up spot. It was similar to the Gavrikov decision, but not as big of deal because he was not expected to play as big of a role, and is only there for one more year.

You saw the price of players like Ryan Jo, turris duchene, etc

And we can definitely pay a Turris-like price. Obviously the price for Duchene was too high, and while the CBJ was involved in discussions, they ultimately didn't pay the price that would be bad for the team in the long run.

No one likes the idea of trading a player for lesser pieces, but it happens every year, especially when one team gets out of the race early and wants to go in a different direction.

Also, when Johansen was rumored to be on the trading block, his perceived value was much higher than Jones. It was moreso talked about like return should've been Jones + A prospect + 1st, considering Johansen was the more established player at that point. That worked out for both teams just fine.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I think you mean "franchise forward". ;) I would already categorize Z and Jones as such.

* * *​

Which is why I don't think there's much profit in discussing trades beyond depth shuffles, but there's obviously differences of opinion as to its necessity.

Yes I did mean a franchise forward. I don't expect the kind of player I have in mind to suddenly become available either.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
I’d be very surprised if Columbus could get a franchise forward in a deal that did not include those players in the OP’s no trade list.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I’d be very surprised if Columbus could get a franchise forward in a deal that did not include those players in the OP’s no trade list.
Probably. That wasn't what the OP was after, tho; that's just what other Jackets fans feel is all that is necessary. (Personally, I think Panarin is enough of a gamebreaker.)

Reactions: Mac DeMarco

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I would be surprised if the CBJ can get a franchise forward at all. That said, if one becomes available, the team trading him is almost certainly looking to blow it up and so would primarily want picks and prospects.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I would be surprised if the CBJ can get a franchise forward at all. That said, if one becomes available, the team trading him is almost certainly looking to blow it up and so would primarily want picks and prospects.
...and, potentially, roster depth players to protect those picks and prospects as they grow up. But that's more of a "oh please oh please oh please" fantasy rather than a planned strategy. ;)

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Probably. That wasn't what the OP was after, tho; that's just what other Jackets fans feel is all that is necessary. (Personally, I think Panarin is enough of a gamebreaker.)
I think in time this roster will have the necessary blend of skill and grit. I’m also well aware that this roster, any roster isn’t perfect. I think a franchise forward and a proven backup goalie fill the biggest gaps. The only thing left to do is for Bob to play well in the postseason and the team to grow up enough to begin winning a few rounds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad