Proposal: Top 6 C to CBJ (List in OP)

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Atkinson is a RW - and not one I'd be all that eager to trade.

Also, isn't Kesler currently on IR? That wouldn't exactly help...

It looked like Torts has been trying to switch him with Bjork recently? I don't think it's too much of a stretch to imagine him playing the otherside, but yes he is a RW. Anaheim does not need another true RW, and you aren't trading Panarin, they would want a lot better than Calvert for Kesler. Would you trade Bjork?

Yes Kesler is slated to come back at the end of December. If they traded for him today, no it would not help, but he's going to be back before the trade deadline and columbus isn't exactly out of playoffs? I'm working under the assumption that the trade isn't happening tomorrow.

Columbus typical LWs are Panarin, Foligno (who can play RW as well), Bjorkstrand, Milano, and Jenner.

FWIW Atkinson re-signed for seven years last month.

Ah, I did not scroll down on Capfriendly, that is my bad.

In a deal before the trade deadline, what would you be willing to give up on left wing for Kesler? If the answer is nothing, that is fine, just say that and then I don't have to keep revisiting the thread or I can try to find another player (and hopefully learn how to read capfriendly)

Lastly, worst case scenario, Atkinson stays right and they move Silfverberg over. I believe he is registered as being able to play both wings.

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It looked like Torts has been trying to switch him with Bjork recently? I don't think it's too much of a stretch to imagine him playing the otherside, but yes he is a RW. Anaheim does not need another true RW, and you aren't trading Panarin, they would want a lot better than Calvert for Kesler. Would you trade Bjork?

Nope. Personally, I like having Anderson/Atkinson/Bjorkstrand down the right side. Anderson and Bjorkstrand are both young guys to build around with distinct skillsets (Anderson's a power forward, and Bjorkstrand is a developing sniper), and Atkinson's essentially an established vet who I'm sure will rebound.

Tortorella has been shuffling Atkinson around lately, that's true, but that's more due to Atkinson's current slump rather than swapping LWs and RWs. Generally the guy who ends up switching sides when needed is Foligno.

Yes Kesler is slated to come back at the end of December. If they traded for him today, no it would not help, but he's going to be back before the trade deadline and columbus isn't exactly out of playoffs? I'm working under the assumption that the trade isn't happening tomorrow.
I suppose that makes some sense. I just get a little antsy about that sort of thing.

Reactions: Dumais

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Nope. Personally, I like having Anderson/Atkinson/Bjorkstrand down the right side. Anderson and Bjorkstrand are both young guys to build around with distinct skillsets (Anderson's a power forward, and Bjorkstrand is a developing sniper), and Atkinson's essentially an established vet who I'm sure will rebound.

Tortorella has been shuffling Atkinson around lately, that's true, but that's more due to Atkinson's current slump rather than swapping LWs and RWs. Generally the guy who ends up switching sides when needed is Foligno.

I suppose that makes some sense. I just get a little antsy about that sort of thing.

I also think Atkinson will rebound, but the contract signing means he is effectively going nowhere. I just picked him (not only because I missed his resigning) because I figured CLB fans would rather keep guys like Bjork and Anderson (younger), and ANA fans wouldn't want Calvert and probably not Foligno. I also have no clue what kind of value Jenner has (I thought he was a C) and I don't know what you guys have in terms of young players down the pipe.

Kesler probably isn't a trade that makes a lot of sense, I guess. I can't really think of many other 2C that are available. I would be open to trading Nuge, but imo he is undervalued on HFboards, so I wouldn't even want to get into that talk. Couture is likely never being traded. I'm not sure if CGY is open to trading Backlund, but he's pretty good. Too bad Horvat is injured, since Vancouver fans wanted to trade him a while back. I'm just spinning my tires at this point, as you can probably tell.....

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Well i hear that the Leafs would be willing to part with Bozak for the right price.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Brass could work, if he has any interest in coming back here.

Personally, tho, my solution to the "add a top-6 C" idea involves the fact that I'm not as quick to dismiss Bozak as the OP is. :)
There's no reason to waste assets on someone like that. Jenner and Foligno makes more sense...

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
I wouldn't be against bringing Brassard back as a rental. See how it goes...then decide. Maybe he can fight Benn again, find his scoring touch. And honestly, I would love to see him come back and be successful while Rick lives it up during the winter classic. That would be worth the pickup alone.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Brass could work, if he has any interest in coming back here.

Personally, tho, my solution to the "add a top-6 C" idea involves the fact that I'm not as quick to dismiss Bozak as the OP is. :)
Is he anything like Gagner ot Letestu? NVRMND... can he score?

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
No chance you move the needle on RoR. You don't have the kind of blue chip prospect it would take (considering PLD out of conversation).
A package of Carlsson, Abromov, 1st might be close on value, but the Sabres aren't in position to be trading quarters for 2 dimes and a nickel.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
There's no reason to waste assets on someone like that. Jenner and Foligno makes more sense...
Bozak is a natural C and scores at about the same pace. That's why there's some interest.

And he's a rental who's in the way of getting some of Toronto's kids time at C, so the price (at least on these boards ;) ) has been reasonably low. When I've been chatting with Leafs fans about such things, I've been suggesting a swap of him with Jack Johnson (another underrated soon to be UFA quality depth player that kids are ready to replace :D ), and that's been received pretty favorably.

* * *​
Is he anything like Gagner ot Letestu? NVRMND... can he score?
He's typically just shy of 50 points per season. So he's a secondary scoring option, but a pretty decent one. Also pretty consistently good at faceoffs, which is admittedly less of an issue now than it was earlier in the season but still worthwhile.

Seriously, he's a good player; he just gets dismissed because the Lunatic Fringe division of Leafs Nation spent years insisting he was a #1C or some other similar sort of epic badass just before they tried to throw him in a trade offer (you know, the usual). He's not; he's just a very good secondary scoring center. He's entering his 30s (he'll be 32 in March) so I wouldn't commit long term, but as a scoring rental (UFA this offseason) he's pretty good.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
No chance you move the needle on RoR. You don't have the kind of blue chip prospect it would take (considering PLD out of conversation).
A package of Carlsson, Abromov, 1st might be close on value, but the Sabres aren't in position to be trading quarters for 2 dimes and a nickel.
They aren't really in a winning position right now so getting a top 4 likely D prospect and a blue chipper in Abramov plus a 1st when you are already getting a top 5 pick likely in probably the 2nd deepest draft of this decade that's a lot of young talent to add for next year plus whatever Kane brings. Say you get that from us, a 1st + prospect for Kane and #3 pick. If Reinhart progresses after ROR leaves to let him develop better without disco fan there and comes back next year playing at worst a 50pt guy add all the young talent plus your current prospects and vets and you can be a fighting team in the weaker Atlantic division.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Bozak is a natural C and scores at about the same pace. That's why there's some interest.

And he's a rental who's in the way of getting some of Toronto's kids time at C, so the price (at least on these boards ;) ) has been reasonably low. When I've been chatting with Leafs fans about such things, I've been suggesting a swap of him with Jack Johnson (another underrated soon to be UFA quality depth player that kids are ready to replace :D ), and that's been received pretty favorably.

* * *​

He's typically just shy of 50 points per season. So he's a secondary scoring option, but a pretty decent one. Also pretty consistently good at faceoffs, which is admittedly less of an issue now than it was earlier in the season but still worthwhile.

Seriously, he's a good player; he just gets dismissed because the Lunatic Fringe division of Leafs Nation spent years insisting he was a #1C or some other similar sort of epic badass just before they tried to throw him in a trade offer (you know, the usual). He's not; he's just a very good secondary scoring center. He's entering his 30s (he'll be 32 in March) so I wouldn't commit long term, but as a scoring rental (UFA this offseason) he's pretty good.
That's the thing you want to give up JJ... yes he's a UFA but look at our D right now it hasn't been great with the injuries and he is a locker room and 5eam leader who was just given theetter 15 games ago. Torts is a big fan of his work ethic and what he has done to show the kids how to go about things the right way. JJs parter is the one we should be moving. He's RHD but both Nuti and Carlson have slid over to that side being LHD and played fine all season. Is that the Savard/JJ chemistry has faltered after years use Savards actual higher value to bring in a real player. Savard+Wennberg +1st+Abramov could get a Tavares at the TDL and if not him another damn good 1C.

Just to be clear I'm not giving up on Wennberg anyone who watches last game saw what he had been before this season and it could habe just taken all this adversity to finally bring It out. It even if he is that player... Tavares haha.

Basically order of D from most untouchable

Z= Jones> Murray> Carlson> Nuti> JJ> Savard> Harrington

Savard makes the most sense value wise to move. JJ wouldn't be a bad option to keep on the bottom pair as a vet until Gavrikov and Peake get up here. Someone has to go IF we plan on signing Murray and want both Carlson and Nuti up here next year. So if JJ outplays Savard and Savard has very very good trade value... why not take advantage of That?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
That's the thing you want to give up JJ... yes he's a UFA but look at our D right now it hasn't been great with the injuries and he is a locker room and 5eam leader who was just given theetter 15 games ago. Torts is a big fan of his work ethic and what he has done to show the kids how to go about things the right way. JJs parter is the one we should be moving. He's RHD but both Nuti and Carlson have slid over to that side being LHD and played fine all season. Is that the Savard/JJ chemistry has faltered after years use Savards actual higher value to bring in a real player. Savard+Wennberg +1st+Abramov could get a Tavares at the TDL and if not him another damn good 1C.

Just to be clear I'm not giving up on Wennberg anyone who watches last game saw what he had been before this season and it could habe just taken all this adversity to finally bring It out. It even if he is that player... Tavares haha.

Basically order of D from most untouchable

Z= Jones> Murray> Carlson> Nuti> JJ> Savard> Harrington

Savard makes the most sense value wise to move. JJ wouldn't be a bad option to keep on the bottom pair as a vet until Gavrikov and Peake get up here. Someone has to go IF we plan on signing Murray and want both Carlson and Nuti up here next year. So if JJ outplays Savard and Savard has very very good trade value... why not take advantage of That?
Savard is locked in for another three years at a decent rate, and I think he can bounce back. I also think JJ can, but he's a UFA and we have Gavrikov and Carlsson on the way. That's why.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Savard is locked in for another three years at a decent rate, and I think he can bounce back. I also think JJ can, but he's a UFA and we have Gavrikov and Carlsson on the way. That's why.
We can lock in JJ in the off-season who will also be cheap only he is a leader and can teach kids to do it the right way while you are 100% right about Savard which is why he is our best D trade chip. Locked In to a sweetheart deal as a RHD and plays #2/3. Also 26ish so prime aged defenseman. Makes too much sense to package him right now for a long term solution instead of moving just to move which is a jj/Bozak deal.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
We can lock in JJ in the off-season who will also be cheap only he is a leader and can teach kids to do it the right way while you are 100% right about Savard which is why he is our best D trade chip. Locked In to a sweetheart deal as a RHD and plays #2/3. Also 26ish so prime aged defenseman. Makes too much sense to package him right now for a long term solution instead of moving just to move which is a jj/Bozak deal.
I think we've got our long-term solution with guys like Dubois and Wennberg on the roster and folks like Stenlund and Texier coming along. And we're ludicrously short on RHDs - it's basically Peeke and that's it.

Reactions: JohnnyJacket13

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I think we've got our long-term solution with guys like Dubois and Wennberg on the roster and folks like Stenlund and Texier coming along. And we're ludicrously short on RHDs - it's basically Peeke and that's it.

Yeah, I think it is a question of if Dubois and Wennberg will be enough at center long term. Jarmo seemed to want Stenlund to stay in Ohio this year, so I would expect him to be fighting for a spot on the team next season. Texier looks like he has all the potential in the world, but just turned 18 and might be a while considering the level of competition he has played it. The other guys to keep an eye on going forward are Thurkauf and Vigneault, who are both very much in the mix.

I don't truly see as much of a need anymore since Dubois has emerged. I think Dubois and Wennberg can hold down the two top 6 spots, Duby can handle the third line, and Sedlak is a capable 4. I think that we will see a decent push in the next year or two from Stenlund, Thurkauf, and Vigneault.

Any trade for a top 6 C is a move to put the team over the top rather than something that needs to happen to continue to win. It's going to be that final piece so they will not have a weakness going against some of these great centers from the metro in the playoffs.

But with how well the team has drafted and developed, like the idea of sticking with one of the youngest rosters in the league, keeping our prospects, and going into the 2018 draft with a full set of picks for the first time in five years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viqsi and Dumais

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
All I hear about when Torts and FSO talk about Jones is and Werenski are how they are leaders and are trying to become leaders.

JJ will not be re-signed in the off-season and his letter is gonna go to Jones or Werenski. I'll wager all my virtual money on that. And if Foligno cant turn things around and gain some consistency I'd say his C could be in jeopardy in the next season or two. We have a lot of really young kids who are going to have a lot of games under their belt and most of them have outstanding leadership qualities.

The only kid left on the D after this season will be Carlsson. Nuttivara and Werenski will be playing in their 3rd nhl seasons, Jones will be 3 games shy of 400 and Murray will be just shy of 300. As this team develops and the younger players grow they can afford to let some of the older guys walk or trade them away if they get outplayed

Johnson isn't needed, we'll keep him for the playoffs most likely but short of him leading us to a cup of SCF appearance, I don't think he's getting re-signed when we have cheaper options and a possible cap crunch coming the following season.

Reactions: Viqsi
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio

I fully expect JJ to test the market. He needs the money and someone will step up and pay him a lot of money. The CBJ aren't in a position to pay as much due to the contracts that are coming up in the next two years. I love JJ as a Jacket; he played a huge part, he was imo the first guy on the ice to begin in their turnaround from a doormat to a good team. I hope the team retires his jersey some day.

JJ lost all of his money due to poor decisions or a violation of trust. I hope someone backs the truck up for him this summer.

As far as a top 6 C, PLD and Wennberg look like the long term answer, with a lot of guys(Stenlund, Thurkauf, Texier etc.) in the pipeline. I am glad Jarmo stuck to his offer and didn't strip the team's depth for Duchene. This is a better team long term with PLD + Murray/Carlsson/Milano than Duchene minus a couple of those guys and a 1st round pick.

Not too long ago, about 2 years ago I wanted Jarmo gone. Boy was I wrong.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
If you want to contend this year, and I think CLB is a sleeping giant at the moment, I think you have to pull the trigger on a deal because the team isn't slotted perfectly upfront.

IMO losing Bill Karlsson hurt. PLD will take maybe another 2 years before becoming that top line center.... he's definitely not close to the two guys that went ahead of him but he's a blue-chipper. You have other guys that will be pushing for spots soon in Abramov, Stenlund.

The defense is stacked, even if they're underperforming. The Jackets have enough to package themselves a nice center.

My questions are the following:

Are you willing to move Calvert &/or Foligno?

What's your take on Murray?

If you were to look at your forward depth chart, where would you slot your players?

EG:

Panarin-XXX-Atkinson
Foligno-Wennberg/PLD-Bjork
Jenner-Dubinsky-Anderson
XXX-Sedlak-XXX

IMO CLB is maybe two trades away from contending for a 3-4 year run, and a scary good stretch at that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad