Too Little, Too Leht

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Exactly. Brown can rot on the bench for all I care at this point. Outside of one miracle run in 2012 he's the most overrated player in Kings history. He gives the team a reputation of being divers and cheap shotters and it's no mystery why the Kings have been given a surprising lack of power play opportunities this year.

:shakehead

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
What a retort.

The Brown apologists can flame me all they want. Brown is tremendously overrated, he has one monster postseason run to his name, and his numbers this year are beyond abysmal.

The perception of the Kings league wide, by people with intelligence, is that they're a very hard working team and Brown, as their captain, exemplifies that.

Might want to change your avatar to a lesser overrated player too.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
No, that's not what I said, that's what you read. Richards is more effective with top 6 veteran wingers, which Carter was when they played together.

Carter is not just any veteran top 6 winger, anyone is going to play better with him, my issue is with Mike Richards and his lack of production away from an elite goal-scorer like Carter. If Richards truly was a a game changing player and as great as so many of you guys say, he would be able to anchor the Kings 2nd line. There is no excuse for Brown-Richards- Williams not to be the Kings answer at 2nd line, but right now Richards is playing like crap and certainly doesn't look the part of an elite 2nd line center. One goal in 25 games, 1 assist and -5 the last 10 since being split up from Carter. 6 goals through half a season despite tons of #1 PP time.

The fact is, if Richards and Brown don't turn it around by the playoffs this team is doomed, because we get no scoring from our bottom lines, and right now, the guys who should be our 3rd and 4th best forwards just aren't cutting it. If Brown is awful without Kopitar and Richards is awful without Carter then they aren't as good as we thought, or worth what we are paying them.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
What a retort.

The Brown apologists can flame me all they want. Brown is tremendously overrated, he has one monster postseason run to his name, and his numbers this year are beyond abysmal.

Overrated only depends on expectations. What do you expect from him this year this far nonwithstanding? His numbers this year are awful and I'd rather see him benched until he's healthy, but to ignore his body of work is just dishonest. He's a streaky scorer for sure but check his stats over his career and they're remarkably consistent. That has nothing to do with being an apologist or fanboy, it's just objectivity.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
The perception of the Kings league wide, by people with intelligence, is that they're a very hard working team and Brown, as their captain, exemplifies that.

Hard working teams usually don't fail to draw calls.

And I'm not saying Brown isn't a hard worker or the team isn't hard working. They are. But Brown's reputation has soured the team's in the eyes of officials and the facts clearly back that up. We're what, bottom five in the league in PP opportunities?

I've never been a Brown fan. I thought Kopitar should have gotten the captaincy back in 2008 and I didn't let 2012 fool me into thinking Brown is suddenly a PPG player. His production this year is atrocious and no amount of excuses or living in the past should gloss over that.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia

And I'm not saying Brown isn't a hard worker or the team isn't hard working. They are. But Brown's reputation has soured the team's in the eyes of officials and the facts clearly back that up. We're what, bottom five in the league in PP opportunities?

I've never been a Brown fan. I thought Kopitar should have gotten the captaincy back in 2008 and I didn't let 2012 fool me into thinking Brown is suddenly a PPG player. His production this year is atrocious and no amount of excuses or living in the past should gloss over that.

Brown's never been and never will be a PPG guy. He's not that kind of forward. He's only scored 30 goals once. He averages closer to 20. He's never been a big point producer. He is having an off year, but talk about throwing him under the bus.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
An interesting stat from Jason Lewis's HBuzz column today on the slump (among other subjects)

Of the 182 minor penalties attributed to players from the Kings this season, 77 have come from those five aforementioned players. That's a whopping 42-percent of the teams total penalty minutes on a 20-man roster coming from five players.

And those 5 are

Jarret Stoll, Drew Doughty, Kyle Clifford, Dustin Brown, and Justin Williams

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
An interesting stat from Jason Lewis's HBuzz column today on the slump (among other subjects)

Of the 182 minor penalties attributed to players from the Kings this season, 77 have come from those five aforementioned players. That's a whopping 42-percent of the teams total penalty minutes on a 20-man roster coming from five players.

And those 5 are

I can give a pass to Doughty, he plays a ton of tough minutes against the other teams top players. Unless you are Nick Lidstrom you are going to end up in the box a lot.

When it comes to Clifford and Stoll, it's just two players with extremely low hockey IQ's. Blame Sutter for continuing to give them so many chances to be idiots. Clifford in particular adds zero to the team, atleast Stoll can win faceoffs and kill penalties, Clifford isn't an NHL player at this point.

I don't know what is up with Brown and Williams, I expect more.

KingKopitar11*

I gotta say, most the penalties DD takes are very good penalties. Most are when other players blow coverage, I've seen him take penalties for Muzzins mistakes and defensive lapses.

DD really never takes stupid penalties.

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
havn't checked, but i assume most of Williams penalties are offensive zone stick penalties because his active stick is what has made him the best possession player in the league. Its a worthy trade off to take his 1 penalty every 2 games, for his dominance at keeping the puck in the offensive zone

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.

I don't think Kopitar would be a good fit for captaincy. He's an awesome player, but this doesn't seem like Kopitar's team. Brown looks injured right now. He doesn't look 100% to me in the way he skates or hits. I don't think anyone here expected him to be a PPG player, just not his style of play. He even has said as much in past interviews that he is not a goal scorer type player. He is more the physical type.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

I'm guessing nobody thought Brown was a point per game player because of the 20 games he had in the 2012 playoffs.

If anyone saw Brown being on a 14 goal, 26 point pace through the first 41 games of the year, then they really didn't like Brown, and I'd love to know the lottery numbers.

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
havn't checked, but i assume most of williams penalties are offensive zone stick penalties because his active stick is what has made him the best possession player in the league. Its a worthy trade off to take his 1 penalty every 2 games, for his dominance at keeping the puck in the offensive zone

t-h-i-s

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006

And those 5 are

Not true, our leaders for minor penalties this season are:

1. Doughty (21)
2. Muzzin (15)
2. Stoll (15)
2. Mitchell (15)
5. Brown (14)
5. Williams (14)
7. Clifford (13)
8. Carcillo (11)
9. Voynov (10)
10. Regehr (9)

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Stoll's minor penalties will never stop, in fact he could be called more. The guy always puts his stick into the puckhandlers hands, reaches them into their skates and then on the forecheck he constantly boards people. Just the way he plays the game. He has been doing it for years and will never smarten up.

HolyShot*

Richards>brown no matter how u slice it. Wake up: this team would be better off with a different power forward.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Exactly. Brown can rot on the bench for all I care at this point. Outside of one miracle run in 2012 he's the most overrated player in Kings history. He gives the team a reputation of being divers and cheap shotters and it's no mystery why the Kings have been given a surprising lack of power play opportunities this year.

What are you talking about? He's had 5 consecutive seasons where he scored at a 50+ point pace.

He almost never gets injured, is always near the top of the league in hits, draws penalties, and get you 20+ goals. He's not an elite player, just a damn solid one whose having a bad season just like Richards is.

Richards>brown no matter how u slice it. Wake up: this team would be better off with a different power forward.
Brown has led a team to a Stanley Cup victory.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Not true, our leaders for minor penalties this season are:

1. Doughty (21)
2. Muzzin (15)
2. Stoll (15)
2. Mitchell (15)
5. Brown (14)
5. Williams (14)
7. Clifford (13)
8. Carcillo (11)
9. Voynov (10)
10. Regehr (9)

Actually he was right. He never said they were the leaders, he said 77 penalties have come from those 5 players and he was right.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
So whatll it take to get benn?

A van, ski masks, and tranq darts. That guy isn't going anywhere.

All the Brown hate for this season is understandable but to somehow extrapolate that to his whole career sucking, being overrated, a bad leader, and a cancer for this team isn't just excessive, it's dishonest. No more passing opinion off as fact unless it's backed up.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00