Too Little, Too Leht

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I'm not sure the Oilers would take Trevor Lewis at this point. I have no idea why he continues to play for our team. Oh well, crap way to end 2013 but hopefully they wake the hell up and play like a good team again come Thursday.

Happy new year everybody!

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
None will be coming , losing streaks have never prompted GM to make moves .

That's why fans aren't GM's.

The Kings are now 5-7-1 against the Central this season. Other than Calgary, the Kings have been pretty good against every team not in the Central. Since the Kings beat Dallas on October 19th, they're 2-6-1 against teams from the Central, with one of those wins in a SO, and the other win against St.Louis.

A couple games against St.Louis coming up in the next few weeks, and a home game against Minnesota. Those are the last 3 games against the Central until February 3rd against Chicago.

If the Kings keep losing, then there's more reason for concern. Right now, they're playing 6 straight games against teams from the Central, with 4 of those games on the road, and it's the only division that has given the Kings problems.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Yes. On one hand, gotta stop taking stupid offensive zone penalties. It would be one thing if they were roughs or something consistent with physical play, but they're not.

On the other, it's like we're being punished for being strong. Williams' slash isn't a penalty if the guy holds onto his stick like a grown man. Doughty waterskiing three guys behind him is okay though? The penalty differential does say we're doing stupid things, and I'm not arguing our calls, but it still blows my mind how a team with a cycle and possession mentality cannot draw penalties.

Ya, it's the dumb ones that keep biting them in the ass. Nolan threw a high stick while going to the bench on a change that got the Stars on the board. Then Cliffords trip that was a borderline dive that lead to another. On the other hand , the Kings aren't getting calls and it's pretty obvious. Richards got hacked on the wrist shorthanded was clearly a penalty but was overlooked and at this point I'm convinced Brown may never get another call go his way unless it on a breakway like last night. :shakehead

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
Didn't watch the game because of New Years so ill assume

LOLEWIS

LOLSUTTER

FREEMARTINEZ

We have to be the only team that voluntarily scratches their 3rd/4th best dman on such a consistent basis

oh and less than 9 minutes of ice time for Toffoli. Goals are overrated

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I'd be more worried if he DID make a reactionary move at this point.

WHy would the move be 'reactionary'? Scoring on a reg basis and winning because of it with a balance is what elite teams do. This team has struggled for awhile now, going back to last year. The were averaging 2 goals or less in the playoffs , and were outplayed by both the Blues and Sharks. QUick got them thru those series.
PArt of it is Sutter's system, which for the most part, doesn't allow for cycling, dump and chase isn't as effective as carrying the puck in.

They don't have a legit top 6 with scoring threats on 2 lines. That's why as long as Carter and Kopi are on the same line, they won't be scoring or winning by scoring. All their eggs are in one basket and it isn't working. At least if Carter went back to the 2nd line, they'd have a threat on each line. But Sutter is stubborn and he won't do that, and said last night that he's not losing any sleep over these loses. Well maybe when the Canucks pass them and the Kings are sliding past 4th in the divison he'll lose some sleep.

I don't think DL will just sit by and watch this team continue to slide right past the canucks into 4th in the division and do nothing. That he can't see that this team has struggled to produce goals thruout the lineup on a reg basis and a lot of their wins came off goaltending and defense. There is a reason Chicago is the best team in the league and having a group of talented goal scorers with speed on more than 1 line is the reason.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I forgot he was on the team. Yes him too much

How could you, his #1 fan, forget he was on the team?!

Didn't watch the game because of New Years so ill assume

LOLEWIS

LOLSUTTER

FREEMARTINEZ

We have to be the only team that voluntarily scratches their 3rd/4th best dman on such a consistent basis

oh and less than 9 minutes of ice time for Toffoli. Goals are overrated

Yup.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Dallas fan coming in peace. Good game, guys. Always a fun one between our two teams. Good luck the rest of the way and happy new year. :)

Thanks.

It sucks to lose to a team like you guys have but it should work itself out like it always does. Still, happy new year and best of luck with your rebuilding. You have a good start.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
WHy would the move be 'reactionary'? Scoring on a reg basis and winning because of it with a balance is what elite teams do. This team has struggled for awhile now, going back to last year. The were averaging 2 goals or less in the playoffs , and were outplayed by both the Blues and Sharks. QUick got them thru those series.
PArt of it is Sutter's system, which for the most part, doesn't allow for cycling, dump and chase isn't as effective as carrying the puck in.

They don't have a legit top 6 with scoring threats on 2 lines. That's why as long as Carter and Kopi are on the same line, they won't be scoring or winning by scoring. All their eggs are in one basket and it isn't working. At least if Carter went back to the 2nd line, they'd have a threat on each line. But Sutter is stubborn and he won't do that, and said last night that he's not losing any sleep over these loses. Well maybe when the Canucks pass them and the Kings are sliding past 4th in the divison he'll lose some sleep.

I don't think DL will just sit by and watch this team continue to slide right past the canucks into 4th in the division and do nothing. That he can't see that this team has struggled to produce goals thruout the lineup on a reg basis and a lot of their wins came off goaltending and defense. There is a reason Chicago is the best team in the league and having a group of talented goal scorers with speed on more than 1 line is the reason.

Don't get me wrong, I think we need to make a move as well. But making one based on simply this losing streak and not the big picture would be reactionary. More for the fans calling for DL to do "something" right now to placate people during the losing. Evaluating the team during a losing streak after the best start in franchise history would end in folly.

To be fair plenty of people have been calling for moves (especially of Lewis, Fraser) even during the winning streak but I worry about a Dave-Taylor style panic move.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
This still isn't anything but a chicken wing imo. No need to go line up on point vicente light and prove that humans can't fly or anything like that.

We need to keep working hard and DS has to realize who should and who shouldn't be in the line up etc but we aren't that far away from contenders.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Ugh, Sutter blaming the losses on our goaltending levelling out.

He's not wrong, but there's definitely more fault to go around than that. I mean, if levelling out is going from leading the league to above average, we're screwed :laugh: I don't like when the staff starts acting delusional.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Lewis, Clifford, Fraser, and Stoll could not play another game for this team and I would not care one iota.

A lot of wasted spots throughout the lineup. Vey should be up full time, one of Mitchell/Greene should be sitting consistently in favor of Martinez, etc etc.

Really over Brown, while we're at it. He's barely a third liner this year.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Not to harp on Lewis because I don't think most of us expect much out of him, but man, what a bad year to be an impending UFA for him. He gets invited to Team USA's camp, he earned a decent pay increase after having a fairly solid campaign, and he follows it up with one of the worst first halves by any Kings player in recent memory with 1 measly assist in 31 games!

I don't know how anyone can justify spending over a million on him. Hard to believe his cap hit is at $1.35M. At this point, he's just dead weight. I used to kid around saying this guy is another Jerred Smithson, but sadly Lewis isn't proving me wrong.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Don't get me wrong, I think we need to make a move as well. But making one based on simply this losing streak and not the big picture would be reactionary. More for the fans calling for DL to do "something" right now to placate people during the losing. Evaluating the team during a losing streak after the best start in franchise history would end in folly.

To be fair plenty of people have been calling for moves (especially of Lewis, Fraser) even during the winning streak but I worry about a Dave-Taylor style panic move.

agree 100%. But making a move now wouldn't be because of this losing streak or reactionary. The Kings are at the halfway point and currently 2 points out of being 7th in the conference

Too many games thru the first half of this season were won due to great goaltending and relaying on the D. For the most part, they have not been winning becaue of having a balanced lineup that produces goals to win well on a reg basis. They are averaging a little over 2 and half goals a game. That won't win you many playoff games or reg season games vs. skilled competition.

If he's been watching all year, he has to have seen that this team doesn't score enougn goals and are being exposed. He has too many redundant bottom tiered grinders.
IT won't get any easier going forward, those other teams they'll be playing , need the points as well and if the Kings continue to score 2 of less goals a game, they'll continue to slide.

Dl saw a similar problem in 2011 and traded for Carter. But he almost waited too long as the Kings nearly didn't make the cut.
I don't think he'll take that risk again and if they continue like this, he should make the move a bit sooner.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Ugh, Sutter blaming the losses on our goaltending levelling out.

He's not wrong, but there's definitely more fault to go around than that. I mean, if levelling out is going from leading the league to above average, we're screwed :laugh: I don't like when the staff starts acting delusional.

So Sutter thinks we should have won the last two games 2-1, and 0 - -1? I thought it was a 3-2 league Darryl? Well your team can't score 3 to save it's life right now...

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Sutter's post game thoughts:

[B]On whether the game got away with mistakes in the second period:[/B]
No, I thought we played really well. We got a little bit of a bad break on the second goal, and you know what? We’re not scoring any goals right now. We’ve played well enough to win. Other than the game before Christmas, we easily could’ve won the last three. It’s just the way it goes.

On Ben Scrivens’ performance:
You know what? Our goaltending’s leveled out. When you’re not scoring goals – we’re not a team that scores a lot of goals – you need more than average goaltending, and the second goal tonight’s not a great goal. Whether it’s off the boards, or whatever it is, you’ve got to make those. That’s part of what the best goalies in the league do.

I think it;'s a bit unfair for him not to put any blame on his team not scoring but put a finger on the goalie.

On playing a rival on Thursday with an attempt to end the losing streak:
I haven’t really thought about that. That’s two days away.

On whether Mike Richards is struggling:
He was really good tonight. I think getting him with Brownie and Willie – you know what? Once we moved Jeff with Kopi, it was hard, and then basically Stoll went with Brown and Williams, and Mike was trying to get other guys going, and it probably took a little bit away from his game, and we’re not getting much in terms of opportunities from our third and fourth lines, so we put Mike back with Brownie and Willie, and he’s played really well.

On Dustin Brown’s scoring being “off”:
Yeah, it is off. He’s got seven goals in 41 games. So I’d say his scoring is off. Based on that, he’s a 14-goal scorer. That’s not enough, right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad