Waived: Tony DeAngelo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
People are so desperate to not be wrong that they look at this situation and refuse to acknowledge the following:
1) ADA is a dumb idiot who got himself waived for a good reason
2) Our FO also f***ed up by not getting value for him and letting it come to this.

One point I saw repeatedly was that he was put into trade offers, chiefly into one for PLD. What I disagree with is a few people saying that he is untradeable bc that trade didnt go down. He may have been a part of a trade to get a very valuable player (PLD) but the trade failing to go through does not prove he was untradeable.

It's very possible the NYR could have gotten something like a 3, 4 or 5. If they were approaching their last straw...

It's possible they arrogantly assumed they could still make it work, turned down offers like that and then chose this option instead. In that case, they're morons. Don't let a player push you to where you're almost at the last straw and hold onto him if trades can be made.

It's possible we couldn't even get a mid-late pick for him. I don't believe that for a second but it's possible. In that case it makes sense to just keep trying. But then you still have the issue of the NYR failing with both Lias and ADa .

Then you have whatever happened with Kravtsov, the alarmingly poor start to kakko's career and the countless other worrying signs others have pointed out repeatedly. ADA had a long pattern of behavior...well at this point our FO has a pattern of alarming failures. The same people who acknowledge the former like to not only ignore the latter but openly mock anyone even talking about it.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Again, what happens to his contract if he clears waivers?

Nothing. Clearing waivers just means no other team claimed him.

It's what happens next that determines what happens with his contract. If he is assigned to Hartford or the practice squad, we save 1.075 mil against the cap, minus the 737,500 cap hit for Bitetto. If the Rangers terminate his contract, then it's completely off the books, but I don't know if that's an option. If he doesn't get claimed and his contract doesn't get terminated, my best guess is that the Rangers assign him to Hartford on paper, so as not to waste a taxi squad spot, and send him home to wait for a trade. If no trade happens, then he'll be bought out in the offseason.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
ESPN headline on this is "Rangers place struggling Dangelo on waivers".

Gotta love the biggest sports outlet being on point with the story. Effing idiots.

Reactions: jacko23

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Clearly it's more than just this. Quinn benched him for the unsportsmanlike penalty early on, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't the only reason that happened. He was looking for the reason to do it and that was it.

Now this, and Georgiev is a pretty quiet guy overall it seems. Goes about his business. He knows he f***ed up last night on that play in OT. Nobody needed to tell him and if someone did need to talk to him about it, it's Quinn or one of the assistants. The players can talk about how they could have handled it better overall, including the entire shift where they got stuck on the ice, but that's the extent of where that should go.

I don't know if they can terminate his contract. It's possible they are exploring the language of the CBA and his deal to see if they can. Waivers is just step one on addressing it.

I'll say I've liked what DeAngelo has added to the team on the ice. He's very good offensively and we didn't have any of those guys on defense for a long time. Now, it's looking like we're about to have an abundance of them as soon as next season. We can complain about the likes of Johnson or Smith, but they've never had the track record of being assholes to a teammate. Those things do matter, especially when you have the youngest team in the league.

Something that would be good to do is find a vet to bring in to help with this and I would not be shocked if that kind of move is in the works.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
I think this team needs a serious culture change and waiving DeAngelo isn't the answer. If Quinn has no control of the locker room to go along with questionable moves and coaching then I think his time is up. I loved the hire and wanted him to succeed but he really does seem in over his head. This is not a children's league.
Whatever happens with DeAngelo it's done with. Still need someone better at the top.

Reactions: bl02

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas

Poor reading skills. He said SOMEthing to a teammate in the locker room. People who can't get past ADA's politics insist it was a specifically racial slur. None of those people stop to think about why he would drop a racial slur on one of his ALL WHITE teammates. It's far more likely (due to the racial composition of the roster and where he grew up in Philly) that ADA dropped a homophobic slur. Still bad (and full disclosure, I'm gay, so I get how bad homophobic slurs can be), but not at the level of a racial slur. No matter WHERE you grew up, everyone understands that the N word is taboo. It's really only recently been made clear to folks that homophobic slurs can be just as damaging. There are lots of folks who grew up using it without ever linking it to the idea of actual gay people, and are just now learning the damage such language can have. The difference is that racial slurs are dropped intentionally, with the knowledge of how bad that term is. Homophobic slurs are still often used carelessly, and will be until more people are educated on the issue. I don't think Tony understands all the nuances and problems of race in this country, but I think he--like most of the population--knows enough not to drop the N-word (particularly with no Black teammates that year).

Reactions: Kupo and egelband

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
Actually... most likely scenario here is he flipped out on Georgiev for that play behind the net in OT. Maybe Zib and Panarin too. Either Georgiev or Panarin socked him, or a teammate sticking up for Georgiev.

Nothing. Clearing waivers just means no other team claimed him.

It's what happens next that determines what happens with his contract. If he is assigned to Hartford or the practice squad, we save 1.075 mil against the cap, minus the 737,500 cap hit for Bitetto. If the Rangers terminate his contract, then it's completely off the books, but I don't know if that's an option. If he doesn't get claimed and his contract doesn't get terminated, my best guess is that the Rangers assign him to Hartford on paper, so as not to waste a taxi squad spot, and send him home to wait for a trade. If no trade happens, then he'll be bought out in the offseason.

Terminate ? Is that for cause such as a fight etc? You mean no obligation to pay off ADA ? and no cap hit?

Fear the Wushu

Dec 4, 2013
New Brunswick, NJ
The people who cry about cancel culture are busy boycotting the NBA and NHL because of kneeling and BLM. If you boycott the NHL over cancel culture do you at least see the irony?

NASCAR has become too progressive for some.

At this rate you will only have MMA left to watch.

I guess there is a reason why wrestlers are the toughest SOBS and this weak sauce, p***y culture has yet to infect MMA. Those guys train too hard to give a f*** what people on the internet have to say and Dana White could care less.

Reactions: FMichael

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
We live in a world now where you’re guilty before innocent. Something happened for them to cut bait with him, that we know, but we don’t know what happened, but as usual we have our rumor mongers out there forming a story before anybody can confirm it. If he did something heinous, so be it, he’s a fool, but people are out of their minds. The same type of people that convicted Jewell after the Atlanta bombing before having the evidence because people ran with the narrative. And no, I’m not defending DeAngelo here.

Whatever happened the Rangers know what it was, and it seems to be enough to cut ties.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
AFAIC cancel culture is euphemistic language. It stand for "got fired" or "got banned". Usually it's crying wolf and people got banned or fired for a good reason. People can't take the public opinion or can't adhere a contract they signed? Guess what, you get canceled. Nothing new, nor "cultural" about it.

I’m thankful there are no radicals in this world either

Reactions: FMichael

Baby Duck Homme

Still waiting to catch a puck from Fotiu...
Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
I guess there is a reason why wrestlers are the toughest SOBS and this weak sauce, p***y culture has yet to infect MMA. Those guys train too hard to give a f*** what people on the internet have to say and Dana White could care less.
Huh? Were you making a point somewhere there? Are MMA fighters and Dana White the vanguard of enlightened thought?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad