Waived: Tony DeAngelo

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
You mean like Louis CK who got accused five times of sexual abuse, is not in prison, and has a net worth of $35 million?

Or Aziz Ansari who was accused of rape, is also not in prison, and has a net worth of $20 million?

Or Roseanne Barr who had her show cancelled which happens literally all the time and has a net worth of $80 million?

Can I get cancelled next?

Careful what you ask for, working in education. There is an ongoing (several years now) movement to get professors fired for posting even mundane liberal comments on social media. Frequently, they take posts out of context, create an outrage "script" and then bombard that professor's administrators with outraged calls/emails framing the innocuous post as something sinister. Even in cases where it was OBVIOUS the original post wasn't what they were claiming it to be, some of those profs were fired just to make to harassment go away. The rich and famous don't have a monopoly on getting canceled. They just get bigger headlines when it happens.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
8a2.gif
Fitz pick him up, please. I was sold on the 5 point game against us plus he's a Jersey boy. If you've ever played sports at a high level, tons of assholes are super successful. Cancel culture is an absolute abomination in todays world.

Tony D is honestly is a normal dude who is getting roasted because modern society is worthless and weak and loves to drag people. It's pathetic.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Please put the damn politics and culture aside. Enough. There are plenty here divided on these topics and I do not want to see it discussed on a message board for a sport. Sports are supposed to be the escape from all of it. Tired of reading the spin put on Tony DeAngelo because he has opinions just like every other American, whether you agree with him or not. He made a dumb decision using a homophobic slur when he was a teenager. No one is perfect.

And now we are witnessing a talented hockey player be placed on waivers for a variety of reasons that seem to be more than just his play on the ice. Rather than let him turn his season around, we are just placing him on waivers. We dont have all the info as to how the altercation with Georgiev went down, but fights between teammates happen all the time and it doesnt lead to those players being put on waivers.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Terminate ? Is that for cause such as a fight etc? You mean no obligation to pay off ADA ? and no cap hit?

Other players have had their contracts terminated due to disciplinary reasons. Mike Richards and Slava Voynov in LA, for example. In the case of Richards, there was a recapture penalty due to the way his contract was structured, but otherwise the cap hit was completely removed.

That said, I have no idea if the Rangers can legally terminate Tony's contract. I guess we'll see tomorrow if he isn't claimed.

Reactions: cheech70

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
A fight that was related to hockey and a transaction that was related to hockey has turned into about 200 posts about politics. Somewhere ADA is smiling at this.

Reactions: bl02

Fear the Wushu

Dec 4, 2013
New Brunswick, NJ
Huh? We’re you making a point somewhere there? Are MMA fighters and Dana White the vanguard of enlightened thought?

They are professional fighters who break their bodys to compete. Sports aren't supposed to be some battleground of philosophy and enlightened thought, thats the entire point of fighting back against those that love to drag athletes and cancel them.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Again, we don’t know what was said, but considering all his teammates were gringos leads me to believe it wasn’t a racist remark.

I see this gross response often on here where people are like “See! It probably wasn’t a racist slur! More likely just a homophobic slur”

As if that’s supposed to make it that much better???

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Other players have had their contracts terminated due to disciplinary reasons. Mike Richards and Slava Voynov in LA, for example. In the case of Richards, there was a recapture penalty due to the way his contract was structured, but otherwise the cap hit was completely removed.

That said, I have no idea if the Rangers can legally terminate Tony's contract. I guess we'll see tomorrow if he isn't claimed.
Comparing this to Slava Voynov is absurd.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
They are professional fighters who break their bodys to compete. Sports aren't supposed to be some battleground of philosophy and enlightened thought, thats the entire point of fighting back against those that love to drag athletes and cancel them.

Pretty sure ADA isn't being fired because of his politics or something he posted on Twitter. Seems quite clear that there was an altercation which we will very likely learn more about in the coming days/weeks/months. Going off prior history, it's not unlikely that he will be the main culprit and that Georgiev/Kreider, whoever else may have been involved, was likely either the victim or the one instigated against.

You only get so many strikes in this league and I think it's very possible that had ADA been a model of proper behavior they'd probably be willing to look past this. But obviously that is not the case and his personal issues have overridden his immense skill set.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Huh? I just logged on and heard the news. Do you know what happened exactly? Were you there?
Same here. “Luckily” I have a long train ride to work :) Seems ADA got into a fight - and probably started it - with Georgiev after the game last night, in the runway to the locker room. on top of all his previous discipline, the Rangers appear to have decided enough is enough. That’s what I gleaned, ignoring a lot of bickering among fans on this site :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad