GDT: TONIGHT WE DINE IN HELL - Ducks at Preds - 5pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Kesler better be careful... cryjo has learned the art of the cup check

Also the preds have hartman now... i kinda hope manson gets to punch his turtling ass a few times

Reactions: Boogernaut

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Honestly, I’d prefer we run with Grant, Brown and one of Vermette, Kelly, or Chimera. But for some reason, I don’t see Kelly or Chimera coming out very often.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I stole some twitter posts from their GDT

Damn, they`re deep

That`s an interesting piece

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Just hope we come out healthy

For a fan base (and I guess players) that whine so much about dirty play, they seem to throw a lot of them. Is it 3 in the last 2 playoffs? I remember the Manson head shot, taking out Rakell, and running Gibson at full speed (I know there were several, but lumping this into one).

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Tough to score goals in that building, don't really see a win tonight. The preds have won nine in a row? That's a lot, like more than eight.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
We should definitely be giving Kelly the Beauch treatment and alternate him with Vermettte, and not play the roller-coaster game with Grant.

Stick Vermette back at centre, move Grant to another wing while Vermette is in.
I'd give him a shot at LW on the Rico line. He has been solid all year long.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Looking at it, Johansen is sneakily pretty overrated. For all the hype he gets as the franchise center they've always needed and his acquisition being a franchise-altering one, his production is more in line with a really good 2nd line center. Thats funny.

Reactions: Paul4587

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal
2nd page 5 hours before puck drop. I guess everyone is amped up for this one.

Just say no ... to Vermette.
Kelly is useless but at least he can PK.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Looking at it, Johansen is sneakily pretty overrated. For all the hype he gets as the franchise center they've always needed and his acquisition being a franchise-altering one, his production is more in line with a really good 2nd line center. Thats funny.
I've always thought he was pretty overrated. Seems like a good 2c to me. Forsberg creates a lot more than CryJo imo. Forsberg is a beast.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Looking at that 4th line - why the hell we traded Wags?

bob_murray.jpg

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I said this during the playoffs, which of course got the belt buckle polishers all riled up. He's not an impact player. The injury was irrelevant.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015

Depends who you talk to. I was living in Columbus for most of the RyJo years, and almost no one there thought of him as elite 1C material. He was primarily viewed as petulant, demanding and a slacker. The big worry was that when it came time to renew his contract that he would dig in his heels and demand a contract well above what his actual production dictated the way his did with his RFA signing. I don't think a single CBJ fan I know had an issue with him being traded off. It wasn't until he got to Trashville that they hype about 'elite 1C' started.

Completely unrelated, but this might be the best GDT title ever. :thumbu:

Reactions: DaGeneral

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania

He's a pretty high end playmaker who is quietly having a bit of a down season for his standards. He's hit between 60 and 70 points pretty consistently before this season which is certainly acceptable for a 1C. But I agree, if your definition of a franchise center is a PPG type guy, he is definitely not quite at that level. More like an average 1C or a great 2C. At around 18 minutes per game, his TOI is somewhere around that too. Not quite at the 19 or 20 minutes a game you would expect a franchise center to play.

Every forward on the Preds seems to be overrated these days though. Forsberg's numbers are fairly comparable to Rakell over the past two seasons, and Rakell is actually on pace to outscore him this season, but I'd bet the average hockey fan or media pundit would take Forsberg over Rakell in a fantasy draft. There really isn't much of a dropoff in production between Arviddson and Henrique either this season. The dropoff from Fiala to Kase isn't too severe either when you factor in the games Kase has missed for injury. Perry and Turris are pretty comparable also in terms of production. Same for Silfverberg and Jarnkrok. Honestly, they've probably got a bit more depth than us at forward (Smith is producing more than a one-legged Kesler right now, Cogs and Hartnell are probably a wash in terms of production, and Hartman is a bit more productive than Ritchie) but overall our forward corps and theirs are pretty evenly matched in terms of roles and production, especially considering that Getzlaf is far and away the better player between him and Johansen.

The Preds forwards really look like a group that is the sum of all its parts, which I think gives people the impression that they are more elite than they actually are. That, and the fact that they do have two elite players on defense in Subban and Josi, and an elite goaltender in Rinne. Those guys are legit and deserve to be considered franchise players IMO, and coupled with a group of six 50 to 60 point forwards spread out over their top nine, makes them a dangerous team. We are close but their defense (didn't even mention Ekholm) gives them a significant edge which is why this would be a big game for us to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad