News Article: Tomas Plekanec wants back in....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
“We discussed that possibility [returning to Montreal] when I got traded in February and that’s where it’s at," Plekanec told TSN Radio Montreal 690. "And as I said before, I’d love to come back to Montreal. That’s my priority and Marc [Bergevin] said they’d like to have me back.”

https://www.tsn.ca/off-season-watch-plekanec-hopes-to-finish-career-with-habs-1.1094853

puke.gif

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
The only way I'd be cool with this is if they have play his 1000th game and then send him to the AHL but that will never happen. Have him be our Mike Keane and give him 950K one way.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
i wouldn't mind Plek coming back if he was playing in a 4C role, but we all know that's not the case.

Julien can't help himself. He should be developing Galchenyuk and Drouin into defensively responsible centers instead of using Plekanec. We're not contending next year. We should be developing players for the future (and hopefully losing/tanking in the process).

HomeAndHome

All aboard the Lane train! WooWoo
Mar 10, 2017
London, ON
It will impact Galchenyuk's ice time because Julien won't want AG playing on Pleks' line. So the more Pleks plays in the top six, the less ice time Alex is likely to get. Last season Pleks got elevated into the top six while AG found himself on the fourth line. Why would that dynamic change if the coach is the same?
That's fair, I'm not exactly advocating for a Plek return, there's many things I'd rather we do before bringing him back. But if we don't add any centers going in to next year it's a little worrying... we don't exactly have depth.

Reactions: Laurentide

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
If we already had a top 9 centerline and have Plek as the 4th line center for 1m$/1 season, I'd be down for it, just don't give Julien his toy back.

Reactions: Laurentide

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Neither he nor De la Rose should be in the top 9. That would leave 1 spot for either one of them.

On the one hand I still want to give De la Rose a full season to prove himself; although I don't believe he can have an impact on the game at forward, and 4th line centers are a dime a dozen. On the other, realistically, we're not contenders this year and I'm sick of Bergevin's goal of making the playoffs and calling two seasons ago a good year when we got bounced in the 1st round because we had not team in front of Price. So, I hope we don't make the playoffs and it would be nice if Pleks some how fetched a 2nd at the deadline again. Although, that's not a sure thing with him being 1 year older and because the market could be different.

So that's the tradeoff De la Rose's potential "development" vs. a potential 2nd. Neither are sure things.
After Plekanec was traded, I think DLR showed that he's a player who needs more icetime in order to continue develop...he carried that momentum over to the World Championships where he was very solid and was trusted by their coaching staff in defensive/checking situations.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
lol! our first line center will be back to help with the tank.

I respect Pleky and he was a long time Hab but when is it enough?

Reactions: Redux91

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Bah why not, but MB must cash on that declaration. Sign him to 1M$/season.

And tell Julien that he's not to play a heavy role, develop the kids instead.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
“We discussed that possibility [returning to Montreal] when I got traded in February and that’s where it’s at," Plekanec told TSN Radio Montreal 690. "And as I said before, I’d love to come back to Montreal. That’s my priority and Marc [Bergevin] said they’d like to have me back.”

https://www.tsn.ca/off-season-watch-plekanec-hopes-to-finish-career-with-habs-1.1094853
Let him comeback as 4th line center. Don't imagine it will determine where we finish in the standings by 1 point. Either Pleks or JDL, big deal,not like it will sink us

Tourist

Nov 26, 2014
I like the idea of honouring Plekanec by signing him to a contract that allows him to retire as a Hab. He's been a true professional who had himself a very nice career in Montreal.

I don't like the idea of giving him icetime.

Reactions: HomeAndHome

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
Galchenyuk for Hanifin. Straight up. If they ask for more. Add Reilly or Byron.. pieces like this. Getting a talent like Galchenyuk for Hanifin will be difficult for them IMO

Bergevin's version of a "re-tool"

- Signs Stastny to a 4 year deal at $7M
- Signs Pleky to a 1 year deal at $3M
- Re-Signs Danault to a 6 year deal at $3.5M
- Re-Signs DLR to a 2 year deal at $1M
- Trades Galchenyuk, Byron, Schlemko for Hanifin and a grade B prospect.
- He keeps Patch and re-signs him. 5 year deal at $6.5M

Drouin / Stastny / Zadina
Patch / Danault / Scherbak
Lehkonen / Pleky / Gallagher
Hudon / DLR / Shaw

Deslauriers, Carr

Mete / Weber
Hanifin / Petry
Alzner / Juulsen

Reilly, Benn

Price
Niemi

Still about $5M in cap space believe it or not.
And if the owner allows a crap re-tool like this then this franchise is screwed for another decade.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
And if the owner allows a crap re-tool like this then this franchise is screwed for another decade.

I don't think they are screwed cause the prospect rebuild can still happen while they have that kind of roster for the next 5 years. We are screwed if he trades futures for vets though. We have not done that yet..

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
After Plekanec was traded, I think DLR showed that he's a player who needs more icetime in order to continue develop...he carried that momentum over to the World Championships where he was very solid and was trusted by their coaching staff in defensive/checking situations.

I'm in the minority, I think his great set of tools, size, speed, hockey smarts, but no offense, would better be used on D, if he can learn the finer points of the position like pivoting, etc... But since that's not going to happen, I'd like to see what he could do with two good 4th liners like Carr and Deslauriers. But, Froese was better than him last year in that role. And what is De la Rose really going to do if he's playing wtih Logan Shaw and Andrew Shaw?

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Plekanec is so coming back and going to be this team's #1 center. I am truly laughing here. :laugh:

Reactions: Justin11

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Loved Plekanec's interview when he said he didn't like playing 8-9 mins a game in Toronto and was relieved his role expanded after Kadri was suspended.

If 16+ mins a game is what you're looking for Tomas...there is ONE team that would bend over backwards to give that to you.

Reactions: Justin11
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad