News Article: Tomas Plekanec wants back in....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
“We discussed that possibility [returning to Montreal] when I got traded in February and that’s where it’s at," Plekanec told TSN Radio Montreal 690. "And as I said before, I’d love to come back to Montreal. That’s my priority and Marc [Bergevin] said they’d like to have me back.”

https://www.tsn.ca/off-season-watch-plekanec-hopes-to-finish-career-with-habs-1.1094853
Hopefully this expressed desire to bring him back came prior to Molson reading Bergevin the riot act when he could still act autonomously. If Molson is smart (a stretch, I know) he will pour cold water on this idea before Bergevin picks up the phone to call Pleks' agent. In fact, Molson should just disconnect the phone in Bergevin's office entirely.

Reactions: The Ugly Truth

uiCk

Jan 20, 2009
MTL
Hope pleks is rdy for that 1 year min salary offer MB will throw at him.

Can't believe players actually believe what MB says.

HomeAndHome

All aboard the Lane train! WooWoo
Mar 10, 2017
London, ON
Not surprising. If he isn't paid too much, the term is very short, and usage is at maximum a 3rd liner it could be fine. Should be time to move on if MB feels otherwise about any of those IMO.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Not surprising. If he isn't paid too much, the term is very short, and usage is at maximum a 3rd liner it could be fine. Should be time to move on if MB feels otherwise about any of those IMO.
When has Pleks ever not been paid too much for the little he brings to the table, when has the term of any of his previous contracts not been 2 years too long and when has any Habs head coach ever used him as a third or fourth liner and limited his playing time? The next time any of those things happen will be the first time.

I guarantee you that if he gets signed, Julien is going to ride him like bike for 20+ minutes a night. He won't be able to help himself, just like Therrien couldn't quit Desharnais. And the forward who's minutes will inevitably get cut or who will get shunted into the bottom six in order to accommodate Plekanec will be Galchenyuk. You can take that one to the bank.

We have to stop this narrative about how re-acquiring Pleks is okay provided that he's used properly in a limited role. He has never been and never will be used in a limited role so long as Julien is here. So if you want him back do so with the knowledge that he will be our #1 or #2 center. Don't fool yourself into believing that he will be used sparingly. Not gonna happen. He will get all the PK minutes, second unit PP and will likely take the opening face-off of every overtime....just like always.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I think Plekanec will get another contract in the NHL. I'd be happy to have him back in MTL. But I will also hope that some of the young players out perform him and that he eventually loses his job. He is a great role model and has helped many many young players become pros. We will need someone like this no matter what. Our forward group is so young as is, especially when Paccioretti is gone...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
and i will be ok with that if he acquires a top or a top ceiling LD.... yea yea something the idiot traded last year

Galchenyuk for Hanifin. Straight up. If they ask for more. Add Reilly or Byron.. pieces like this. Getting a talent like Galchenyuk for Hanifin will be difficult for them IMO

Bergevin's version of a "re-tool"

- Signs Stastny to a 4 year deal at $7M
- Signs Pleky to a 1 year deal at $3M
- Re-Signs Danault to a 6 year deal at $3.5M
- Re-Signs DLR to a 2 year deal at $1M
- Trades Galchenyuk, Byron, Schlemko for Hanifin and a grade B prospect.
- He keeps Patch and re-signs him. 5 year deal at $6.5M

Drouin / Stastny / Zadina
Patch / Danault / Scherbak
Lehkonen / Pleky / Gallagher
Hudon / DLR / Shaw

Deslauriers, Carr

Mete / Weber
Hanifin / Petry
Alzner / Juulsen

Reilly, Benn

Price
Niemi

Still about $5M in cap space believe it or not.

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
When has Pleks ever not been paid too much for the little he brings to the table, when has the term of any of his previous contracts not been 2 years too long and when has any Habs head coach ever used him as a third or fourth liner and limited his playing time? The next time any of those things happen will be the first time.

I guarantee you that if he gets signed, Julien is going to ride him like bike for 20+ minutes a night. He won't be able to help himself, just like Therrien couldn't quit Desharnais. And the forward who's minutes will inevitably get cut or who will get shunted into the bottom six in order to accommodate Plekanec will be Galchenyuk. You can take that one to the bank.

We have to stop this narrative about how re-acquiring Pleks is okay provided that he's used properly in a limited role. He has never been and never will be used in a limited role so long as Julien is here. So if you want him back do so with the knowledge that he will be our #1 or #2 center. Don't fool yourself into believing that he will be used sparingly. Not gonna happen. He will get all the PK minutes, second unit PP and will likely take the opening face-off of every overtime....just like always.
While I agree with the overall tone of your post - Plekanec wouldn't have any impact on Galchenyuk's icetime since they play different positions.

The impending return of Plekanec is going to stunt the progress of guys like Danault, DLR, McCarron, Evans and whoever else the Habs may sign/trade for to play center.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
This is one of those times where you just pray that Bargainbin was pulling one his usual two-faced moves where he taps the player on the back and confesses how much he loves to have on this team only to throw him out with the trash and not think twice about it.

Unfortunately, due to "attitude" and "character" traits of Plekasex Bargainbin's words are probably genuine in this case. Pleks also had an unusually good couple of games in the POs, so yeah... we should be worried.

Reactions: Redux91

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I think Plekanec will get another contract in the NHL. I'd be happy to have him back in MTL. But I will also hope that some of the young players out perform him and that he eventually loses his job. He is a great role model and has helped many many young players become pros. We will need someone like this no matter what. Our forward group is so young as is, especially when Paccioretti is gone...
That won't happen because they won't ever get the opportunity to do it while he's there.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
how about no? Good god, enough Pleks, he's done.

HomeAndHome

All aboard the Lane train! WooWoo
Mar 10, 2017
London, ON

I'm aware of the likelihood that they will put him in a role that he shouldn't be in anymore and I don't want him back if he is getting 2nd line + minutes. I want Galchenyuk to play center as much as you seem to, but it doesn't seem to be that they feel he is a center so bringing Plek back doesn't really effect Galchenyuk's ice time.

I've seen many people around here in favour of a rebuild, so if MB is unable to make a big splash in free agency/trades this summer what's the harm in reacquiring Plek for a year? Drouin is not a good center (at this point anyways), Danault is a 3rd liner or a fill in 2nd liner, AG isn't a C in our organization, Shaw will be injured, DLR is nothing special, McCarron is not good so far, Evans is a ?. We need someone to play center as a last resort (Plek would not be option A through E).

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
While I agree with the overall tone of your post - Plekanec wouldn't have any impact on Galchenyuk's icetime since they play different positions.

The impending return of Plekanec is going to stunt the progress of guys like Danault, DLR, McCarron, Evans and whoever else the Habs may sign/trade for to play center.
It will impact Galchenyuk's ice time because Julien won't want AG playing on Pleks' line. So the more Pleks plays in the top six, the less ice time Alex is likely to get. Last season Pleks got elevated into the top six while AG found himself on the fourth line. Why would that dynamic change if the coach is the same?

Reactions: WeThreeKings

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It will impact Galchenyuk's ice time because Julien won't want AG playing on Pleks' line. So the more Pleks plays in the top six, the less ice time Alex is likely to get. Last season Pleks got elevated into the top six while AG found himself on the fourth line. Why would that dynamic change if the coach is the same?
Good point...that's true. Hadn't thought of it that way.

Don't worry, I'm right there with you though.

Reactions: Laurentide

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
“We discussed that possibility [returning to Montreal] when I got traded in February and that’s where it’s at," Plekanec told TSN Radio Montreal 690. "And as I said before, I’d love to come back to Montreal. That’s my priority and Marc [Bergevin] said they’d like to have me back.”

https://www.tsn.ca/off-season-watch-plekanec-hopes-to-finish-career-with-habs-1.1094853

Neither he nor De la Rose should be in the top 9. That would leave 1 spot for either one of them.

On the one hand I still want to give De la Rose a full season to prove himself; although I don't believe he can have an impact on the game at forward, and 4th line centers are a dime a dozen. On the other, realistically, we're not contenders this year and I'm sick of Bergevin's goal of making the playoffs and calling two seasons ago a good year when we got bounced in the 1st round because we had not team in front of Price. So, I hope we don't make the playoffs and it would be nice if Pleks some how fetched a 2nd at the deadline again. Although, that's not a sure thing with him being 1 year older and because the market could be different.

So that's the tradeoff De la Rose's potential "development" vs. a potential 2nd. Neither are sure things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad