News Article: Tomas Plekanec wants back in....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sthabs

Apr 7, 2006
He s not wearing his turtleneck!!!
I cant believe it!!
Never thought I d see that !
Pleky! Turtle-less!

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
@Belial wants us to believe Plekanec singlehandedly shut down the Bz top line and without his presence they would of been swept.

Who knew Patrice Bergeron met his match when the Bruins and Leafs faced off.

That's actually not that far from the truth. Marner and Marleau were a big part of that line's success though.

The rest of the Leafs choked bigtime.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Pleky played very well with the Leafs in the Playoffs. Other teams will be raising eyebrows and inquiring about his services this summer. He will get offers. I'd be open to have him back for 1 year (2 max) but it's going to be a team friendly deal. Pleky has to think real hard with his family... They may need to move from away from Montreal. He is age 36 next year. I can see some solid 1 year deals being offered but not sure how many teams give him 2 years. He is in a difficult spot. Moving his family for 1 year is likely not something they want to do. I can see why he wants to come back.

Habs explore other options first. Signing Pleky takes opportunity away from the younger players as well. I'm undecided and want to see what our 1st options are before we sign him.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I really don’t mind Plex on a 1 year >$1M contract to play on the 4th line and PK. Worse comes to worse you trade him again and get more assets for him again. Put DLR on his wing and he can learn even more from one of the better defensive centers in the NHL.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I really don’t mind Plex on a 1 year >$1M contract to play on the 4th line and PK. Worse comes to worse you trade him again and get more assets for him again. Put DLR on his wing and he can learn even more from one of the better defensive centers in the NHL.
The problem is that if the Habs sign him he won't be playing on the 4th line and PK. He will be playing no lower than the 2nd line and will be used in all situations, including the opening face-off of any overtime. The only way to keep Julien from leaning on him is to not have him in the first place.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
The problem is that if the Habs sign him he won't be playing on the 4th line and PK. He will be playing no lower than the 2nd line and will be used in all situations, including the opening face-off of any overtime. The only way to keep Julien from leaning on him is to not have him in the first place.

Or to get him 2 centers who are better than him and Danault on the 3rd whose proven he’s a much great offensive threat.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
We really need to move on, Julien will not use him properly.

Reactions: dralaf

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
If the plan is to finish near the bottom again and try for another lottery pick signing Plekanec to a 1 year actually makes a lot of sense for both Plekanec and us. We deal him at the deadline for another 2nd round pick to help our rebuild and Pleks stays in Montreal but still gets a chance at a cup.

Does anyone remember St. Louis and Doug Weight? They traded him at the deadline, he signed with them in the summer, and was traded again next trade deadline.

Reactions: habsgirl5000

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
I'm willling to give him a one year deal at 1 mill and even at those terms i'm not sold on having him back.
Yeah he had some good games in his short stint with the Leafs and yes he loves Montreal and it would be great to see him play his 1000th game with us ... but the guy is in his late 30's and near the end of his career. His what now ? a 3rd or 4th line guy ? Dont tell me that we dont have any younger guys coming up ready to fill that role on our roster.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I'm willling to give him a one year deal at 1 mill and even at those terms i'm not sold on having him back.
Yeah he had some good games in his short stint with the Leafs and yes he loves Montreal and it would be great to see him play his 1000th game with us ... but the guy is in his late 30's and near the end of his career. His what now ? a 3rd or 4th line guy ? Dont tell me that we dont have any younger guys coming up ready to fill that role on our roster.
You mean the role to matchup with the Bergerons, Stamkos, and Crosby's of the world?

The guy is still a valuable center in this league. He's not going to produce a ton at this stage, but his defensive game is still good enough to matchup in the top 9 with pretty much anyone.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
If the plan is to finish near the bottom again and try for another lottery pick signing Plekanec to a 1 year actually makes a lot of sense for both Plekanec and us. We deal him at the deadline for another 2nd round pick to help our rebuild and Pleks stays in Montreal but still gets a chance at a cup.

Does anyone remember St. Louis and Doug Weight? They traded him at the deadline, he signed with them in the summer, and was traded again next trade deadline.
No team plans to finish at the bottom 1+yr in advance of a draft to MAYBE get a chance at drafting 1st overall.

And I don't know how much sense there is in signing Plekanec as the linchpin to any plan

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

This is always the trade off with signing older depth players, less ice time for younger guys.

That said we don't exactly have a bunch of young studs at center. De La Rose, McCarron, Vejdemo are probably the only ones who might be impacted. Vejdemo probably could use some AHL time, McCarron is better off at wing, and De La Rose, I like him more then most, but the chances of him being more then a 4th liner aren't great.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
No team plans to finish at the bottom 1+yr in advance of a draft to MAYBE get a chance at drafting 1st overall.

And I don't know how much sense there is in signing Plekanec as the linchpin to any plan

Many teams go into a season planning on being bad, the plan isn't to get the 1st overall pick, it's too get a great young prospect. Whether that guy is 1st overall or 5th overall it's mostly irrelevant.

As for Plekanec who said he was the linchpin to any plan? At this point Plekanec doesn't make us better or worse so he has virtually no impact on the standings, but would likely net us a decent pick. It's exactly what St. Louis did in 07-08 where they ended up with Pietrangelo. Toronto tried the same thing with Parenteau but couldn't find a team willing to trade for him.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Many teams go into a season planning on being bad, the plan isn't to get the 1st overall pick, it's too get a great young prospect. Whether that guy is 1st overall or 5th overall it's mostly irrelevant.

As for Plekanec who said he was the linchpin to any plan? At this point Plekanec doesn't make us better or worse so he has virtually no impact on the standings, but would likely net us a decent pick. It's exactly what St. Louis did in 07-08 where they ended up with Pietrangelo. Toronto tried the same thing with Parenteau but couldn't find a team willing to trade for him.
Such as?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
This is always the trade off with signing older depth players, less ice time for younger guys.

That said we don't exactly have a bunch of young studs at center. De La Rose, McCarron, Vejdemo are probably the only ones who might be impacted. Vejdemo probably could use some AHL time, McCarron is better off at wing, and De La Rose, I like him more then most, but the chances of him being more then a 4th liner aren't great.
As long as they keep prioritizing signing and playing vets on their last legs instead of investing in his development.

That is likely to remain true.

Still, I don't quite understand why anyone would want Plekanec on the 4th over DLR.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
As long as they keep prioritizing signing and playing vets on their last legs instead of investing in his development.

Still, I don't quite understand why anyone would want Plekanec on the 4th over DLR.
Because pleks can provide 'some' offence and DLR 19 points in 119 games. Many of which came from his chuck, byron and gally, our 3 most productive wingers.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I'd rather the Habs move on but I fully expect Pleks to be re-signed for at least 1 more season due to Julien likely wanting him back since he seems to love this player. Then I fully expect Julien to play the hell out of him and this board complaining about Julien playing Pleks way too much for what he brings and he should play the younger players more.

If MB strikes out on trading for or signing a center or 2 this summer Pleks will be back for sure.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Only in Montreal would the fans want back a loser !

That's all in the eye's of the beholder, Plekanec has always been the Habs best center whilst he was a Hab. Koivu & Plekanec were a good 1 - 2 punch at center for a number of yrs., he's a veteran that can impart his knowledge to our young centers, believe Dat!!!...:thumbu::thumbu::thumbu:

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Because you can turn around and trade Plekanec for another 2nd round pick and get another crack at finding an actual top-6 player.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Yeah...like Plekanec hasn't benefitted from playing with the teams best wingers.

Plekanec played the majority of last year with Gallagher...and still only managed 24pts to DLR's 12pts despite playing over 16 mins a game.

The 12pts DLR has this year were accumulated in a fraction of the icetime it took plekanec to get double that production

Not sure how anyone can miss that...DLR's barely gotten icetime with the Habs.

Yet you highlight that he's got 19pts in 122 games...

Which given the majority of those games he played about 10 mins...

Is ONLY 6pts less than Plekanec got this year in TONS of more icetime.

Given DLR is 14yrs younger, bigger, cheaper and still has some untapped potential.

It should be a no-brainer between playing him over Plekanec.

I have no doubt had DLR gotten the icetime Plekanec got last year, 24pts wld of been achieved quite easily and most likely, in alot less games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad