Player Discussion Tomas Plekanec - Plekasex Edition

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
In 2015-16, he scored 5 goals in his first 6 games. He scored 9 in the last 76 games last season. He's scored 8 in 73 games this season.

17 goals in his last 147 games. 9.48 per 82 games. At $6 million/year ($3 millon @50% retained). No one will want him. Why would Vegas want him? The only team which is close to the salary cap floor is Carolina and they wouldn't have any need for him.

He's done. An absolutely terrible extension decision by MB. On par with his 4 year extension of Therrien. The Habs have a tough decision regarding his buyout. With Price's contract coming due, having an extra $2 million in buyout working against the cap in the first year of a Price deal may be a problem. I'd suck it up and buy him out anyway. Save $2 million overall and be done with him.

That's not a terrible idea. Instead of paying 6 million next year, pay 2 million for each of the next two years, it's worth considering.

That said it's not really 4 million dollars in savings next year, as they need to bring in somebody to take that roster spot.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
If he could wake up this team could be serious for the playoffs

Bench him for a few games wake him up

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I remember the fans used to be frustrated with Bob Gainey because he almost never negotiated during the season.

Now we see the opposite with Bergevin, he extends Plekanec, Emelin, Desharnais, etc to glorious contracts almost as soon as he can.
Gainey made it a policy and it was lunacy. BargainBin is arbitrary about it. I'd prefer arbitrary, to be honest.

If he could wake up this team could be serious for the playoffs

Bench him for a few games wake him up
I'm not sure if he'll ever be benched. Or if he is, it might hurt the team both on the ice (given his Dz starts and no one better to replace him defensively) and morale-wise as he could very well be a grumpy, unmotivated veteran.

Speaking personally, I don't respond well to negative criticism and it throws me off my game.
That's not a terrible idea. Instead of paying 6 million next year, pay 2 million for each of the next two years, it's worth considering.

That said it's not really 4 million dollars in savings next year, as they need to bring in somebody to take that roster spot.
Depends how the FA market looks. I think dealing Pleks is very doable, even as a counter-weight for another contract. If we can get another defensive centre who is unwanted on a smaller but longer contract in return, it could be win-win. Or a tolerable lose-lose.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I remember the fans used to be frustrated with Bob Gainey because he almost never negotiated during the season.

Now we see the opposite with Bergevin, he extends Plekanec, Emelin, Desharnais, etc to glorious contracts almost as soon as he can.

Well he got Byron right... :laugh:
The Plecky deal was wrong on soooo many fronts.
I guess the two main factors were the hot streak the team was early in the year...
never sign players when you are riding a high.
And not leveraging the final year of a deal which typically leads to elevated play.
Does anyone think we would have lost him or have had to pay even a dime more than he got?
He would have had to accept less IMO.

As to the current edition Plecks has been trolling us for damn near two seasons.
It's like we got a new player at the TDL along with the new coach.
Good news because he should be well rested? :naughty:

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I still can't stop thinking about the package we could have gotten for him at the deadline last year. It might have also lead to the signing of Staal.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Isn't it curious how he always seems to lead (or be one of the leaders) the Czech Republic in scoring at tournaments, yet completely disappears in the playoffs for the Habs?

I loe his little frisk move as if he was looking for a weapon in a players equipment.:laugh:

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
He does suck.

But it's due to father time, not effort. Get it right. He gave us many good years of service. But it is a shame it has to end this way.

Benning

Jan 4, 2005
He's not being used properly... There was no reason to think his playoffs would be any different than his season. 28 points!!! Let him concentrate on his defense on the 3rd while contributing the odd goal. Take some pressure off Danault by adding AG as the second top 2 center... Asking PD to center the 1st with TP as your 2nd is crazy...

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
He's not being used properly... There was no reason to think his playoffs would be any different than his season. 28 points!!! Let him concentrate on his defense on the 3rd while contributing the odd goal. Take some pressure off Danault by adding AG as the second top 2 center... Asking PD to center the 1st with TP as your 2nd is crazy...

You'd think someone that is getting paid 6 million could handle more...

Benning

Jan 4, 2005
You'd think someone that is getting paid 6 million could handle more...

That's also not on him. That's on MB. But to be fair, no one could have predicted such a monumental offensive meltdown. But now that reality is what it is, they must adjust to it. He has no business on the top 6.

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal

it's not even a question of 1st or 2nd or 3rd or 4th line or defensive duties, it's because he's playing very scared and soft, the guy has no courage whatsoever, he's useless on any line or any role

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
That's also not on him. That's on MB. But to be fair, no one could have predicted such a monumental offensive meltdown. But now that reality is what it is, they must adjust to it. He has no business on the top 6.

Thank christ he didn't get a long term contract

Benning

Jan 4, 2005
it's not even a question of 1st or 2nd or 3rd or 4th line or defensive duties, it's because he's playing very scared and soft, the guy has no courage whatsoever, he's useless on any line or any role

Not a playoff player, but we already knew that. That's why I was so surprised to see CJ not adjust mid-game. AG and AS were, at least, more implicated. Danault, even if he's not in his "chaise", as they say in AC, is worth more to us right now than TP. Sadly, I don't expect any significant change in the aligment Friday.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Can he just go to Europe? I am sure he is more than willing to go there and play, he doesn't want to win with us.

Benning

Jan 4, 2005
This guy sucks man. wtf

He's been good and loyal to us for a long time...Hate to dump all over him... The Habs just need to realize he belongs on the 3rd. (And we have to try to forget his salary...). He would be a decent 3rd liner. Less expectations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad