Player Discussion Tomas Plekanec - Plekasex Edition

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
We should've learned from the Gomez fiasco not to extend or sign floating, non-physical players in their mid to late 30s. At least Gomez had talent, Pleks has always been a grinder. Now he's not even grinding.

Plekanec should play in Arizona or Colorado next year.

Pleks was never a grinder. and I called for Habs to deal with him and dd 6 years ago. He's not strong enough to be a top 2 c beyond 28.

But in his mid twenties he could drill it and was excellent at shut down.

His greatest moment was shutting Crosby down.

Needs to go but he was ****ing good 6 years ago.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Plekanec is always playing not to get hurt. He does nothing to try and score anymore, he completely gave up in that department. I rarely pay attention when he is on the ice because he reminds me of Gomez without the fancy skating.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Pleks was never a grinder. and I called for Habs to deal with him and dd 6 years ago. He's not strong enough to be a top 2 c beyond 28.

He's the definition of a grinder.

Defined by his effort level and "compete" than his talent. Brings very little in the way of dangles or east-west play. Not spectacular in any specific way.

He was good for us, but it's time to go. We can't let veterans play so poorly and keep letters and keep their position. If there are no takers for him then you waive him and shoot a bow across the rest of the team. No Excuses. They should've waived him last year during the collapse when he was by far our most useless forward.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
It truly is disgraceful that Plekanec has the same amount of points as Beaulieu. :laugh:

72 games - 25 points - 6 million highest paid forward on the team.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
It truly is disgraceful that Plekanec has the same amount of points as Beaulieu. :laugh:

72 games - 25 points - 6 million highest paid forward on the team.
Let's say his salary doesn't matter.

I think there are better arguments to make, like analysing his defensive-zone deployment, TOI, PP TOI, and production against similar players league-wide. Maybe he isn't that bad.

What do I know is that he looks bad. He plays hockey not good. He cheats an incredible amount. He plays like Colby Armstrong - playing like his priority is avoiding injury so he could keep getting paid after his current contract.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Let's say his salary doesn't matter.

Even if his salary would not matter right now he is like Eller but without the effective work along the board and cycling game. So an Eller whose game wont translate well in the playoffs.

Even at 4 millions the way he is playing right now it would be a problem.

Let's say we hypothetically sign Shipachev this summer or acquire a center from a trade involving kids and picks and we re-sign Radu. With AG at center or on the wing there's no place for Plekanec.

Patch-Ship-Radu
Lehkonen-AG-Gallagher
Byron-Danault-Shaw

Patch-Ship-Radu
AG-Danault-Gallagher
Byron-Shaw-Lehkonen

If we get help for the top 6 this summer without trading assets other than kids and picks while retaining Radu there's simply no place left for Plekanec. Not at 6 millions. Not at 4millions. Not even at 3 millions. Byron and Danault cost significantly less. Shaw is significantly younger and is more productive right now.

The Price is Right

Jul 3, 2008
If he had a 3-3.5 mil contract that would be no problem. We should try to retain some salary and deal him to another team.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
If he had a 3-3.5 mil contract that would be no problem. We should try to retain some salary and deal him to another team.

I don't know why anyone would take him-even at 50% salary retention.

He's finished. He's a buyout or a suck-it-up for one more year for the Habs.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I don't know why anyone would take him-even at 50% salary retention.

He's finished. He's a buyout or a suck-it-up for one more year for the Habs.

Nobody would want an elite defensive center who's having a down year, but who was a constant 20 goal scorer and 50 pt man in his career, and has only 1 year left on a 3 million contract?

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

If you are referring to the 010 series. Halak and Gill had alot to do with shutting Crosby down. Both were playing goal at the same time. lol

But I agree, he was done a long time ago. That much was so obvious to the common fan, but not the GM.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Nobody would want an elite defensive center who's having a down year, but who was a constant 20 goal scorer and 50 pt man in his career, and has only 1 year left on a 3 million contract?

What team will care what he used to do?

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
He's the definition of a grinder.

Defined by his effort level and "compete" than his talent. Brings very little in the way of dangles or east-west play. Not spectacular in any specific way.

He was good for us, but it's time to go. We can't let veterans play so poorly and keep letters and keep their position. If there are no takers for him then you waive him and shoot a bow across the rest of the team. No Excuses. They should've waived him last year during the collapse when he was by far our most useless forward.

lol. He is not the definition of a grinder.

He is the definition of a perimeter player.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

He's not an elite defensive center and he never has been...furthermore, his point totals in the past have very little to do with his contributions moving forwards

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
lol. He is not the definition of a grinder.

He is the definition of a perimeter player.
I've defined grinder as someone with limited talent who tries hard. Tom Pyatt is a grinder, Brendan Gallagher is a grinder, half the league are grinders.

You're right that he plays a perimeter game, but I associate perimeter players with skilled players who refuse to pay the price. Patches, sometimes. Pleks doesn't have skill and refuses to pay the price, can we call him a perimeter grinder? :laugh:

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
I've defined grinder as someone with limited talent who tries hard. Tom Pyatt is a grinder, Brendan Gallagher is a grinder, half the league are grinders.

You're right that he plays a perimeter game, but I associate perimeter players with skilled players who refuse to pay the price. Patches, sometimes. Pleks doesn't have skill and refuses to pay the price, can we call him a perimeter grinder? :laugh:

Plekanec was always a weak player but he hustled in plenty of areas - he was a workhorse in his prime who covered more ice than anyone around him. That's not easy even if he doesn't hit. I couldn't survive in his role, and neither could you. If he was a more physical player he wouldn't have even lasted this long.

He wasn't necessarily a grinder because he was a good PP player in his prime but his game is workmanlike. He's a north-south player, he can passs and shoot but he's an average puck handler without any creativity.

That too takes its toll, and he's clearly spent. He can probably survive in the league for a while as a shell of himself, but his offense is done.

It's funny seeing people act like he was always this bad - he was a good player who was often asked to play over his head because of poor management, and should be remembered as a good Hab. But obviously we need to move on as soon as possible.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
Plekanec was always a weak player but he hustled in plenty of areas - he was a workhorse in his prime who covered more ice than anyone around him. That's not easy even if he doesn't hit. I couldn't survive in his role, and neither could you. If he was a more physical player he wouldn't have even lasted this long.

He wasn't necessarily a grinder because he was a good PP player in his prime but his game is workmanlike. He's a north-south player, he can passs and shoot but he's an average puck handler without any creativity.

That too takes its toll, and he's clearly spent. He can probably survive in the league for a while as a shell of himself, but his offense is done.

It's funny seeing people act like he was always this bad - he was a good player who was often asked to play over his head because of poor management, and should be remembered as a good Hab. But obviously we need to move on as soon as possible.

This. Peak Plekanec was a perfect 2C to have, but the previous coach flat out refused to develop/show faith in any other C's in the team with the exception of Desharnais who had obvious limitations. He got a great deal because of the over-reliance, but it was a missed opportunity for the whole club regardless.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

Thanks for the eulogy.

Good job.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

In 2015-16, he scored 5 goals in his first 6 games. He scored 9 in the last 76 games last season. He's scored 8 in 73 games this season.

17 goals in his last 147 games. 9.48 per 82 games. At $6 million/year ($3 millon @50% retained). No one will want him. Why would Vegas want him? The only team which is close to the salary cap floor is Carolina and they wouldn't have any need for him.

He's done. An absolutely terrible extension decision by MB. On par with his 4 year extension of Therrien. The Habs have a tough decision regarding his buyout. With Price's contract coming due, having an extra $2 million in buyout working against the cap in the first year of a Price deal may be a problem. I'd suck it up and buy him out anyway. Save $2 million overall and be done with him.

Last edited:

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
In 2015-16, he scored 5 goals in his first 6 games. He scored 9 in the last 76 games last season. He's scored 8 in 73 games this season.

17 goals in his last 147 games. 9.48 per 82 games. At $6 million/year ($3 millon @50% retained). No one will want him. Why would Vegas want him? The only team which is close to the salary cap floor is Carolina and they wouldn't have any need for him.

He's done. An absolutely terrible extension decision by MB. On par with his 4 year extension of Therrien. The Habs have a tough decision regarding his buyout. With Price's contract coming due, having an extra $2 million in buyout working against the cap in the first year of a Price deal may be a problem. I'd suck it up and buy him out anyway. Save $2 million overall and be done with him.

You just don't understand the game my friend! This guy was underrated when he was contributing offensively and now he's underrated when he doesn't....

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
If you are referring to the 010 series. Halak and Gill had alot to do with shutting Crosby down. Both were playing goal at the same time. lol

But I agree, he was done a long time ago. That much was so obvious to the common fan, but not the GM.

Mid last year. Is not that long of a time.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
015 play off showed he had absolutely no metal.

But yes, "a year and a half ago" he signed the absurd deal......and then he all but laid down, and even his biggest fans could not dent he was done.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

I'm not saying he was always this bad. But he was always a perimeter player who had mediocre talent/skills.

He's had some very good seasons with us and he looked like a poor man's Bergeron at times. I was critical of him early (his 39 point 'little girl' season was especially bad) but he won me over during the Jacques Martin era - he was a very good counter-attacking player. But he was always lacking creativity or flair.

Now he's not good. That's it really. And a lot of blame is on him - he doesn't play an honest game anymore... or less honest than before.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I remember the fans used to be frustrated with Bob Gainey because he almost never negotiated during the season.

Now we see the opposite with Bergevin, he extends Plekanec, Emelin, Desharnais, etc to glorious contracts almost as soon as he can.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00