Tomas Hertl

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
To play Devil's advocate, think about it in another situation...Setoguchi had great numbers his first few years in the league, both counting and regular. Carle, Bernier, Mitchell, Dimitrakos....heck, even Cheechoo...and I am probably omitting a few players that looked really good pre-25 and just crashed later on. All it takes is an injury, a player getting sick of putting in the work, a small shift in what teams' desire...

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
To play Devil's advocate, think about it in another situation...Setoguchi had great numbers his first few years in the league, both counting and regular. Carle, Bernier, Mitchell, Dimitrakos....heck, even Cheechoo...and I am probably omitting a few players that looked really good pre-25 and just crashed later on. All it takes is an injury, a player getting sick of putting in the work, a small shift in what teams' desire...

Way to put a negative spin on something I didn't think there was a way to put a negative spin on.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Hertl is nothing like those other players. He's already suffered an injury. He's an extremely hard working player who obviously wants nothing more than to win. I don't know why you always say things like this but it's pretty irritating tbh.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Hertl needs to score but his progress as a two way player is really promising. Also there is no real goal threat on his line. Lot more pressure to create there.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Hertl is nothing like those other players. He's already suffered an injury. He's an extremely hard working player who obviously wants nothing more than to win. I don't know why you always say things like this but it's pretty irritating tbh.

This was said about other players like Cheechoo and Mitchell as well. I wonder how you know that he "wants nothing more than to win".

Last edited by a moderator:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
This was said about other players like Cheechoo and Mitchell as well. I wonder how you know that he "wants nothing more than to win".

Cheechoo and Mitchell didn't have the same talent and skill level that Hertl has so them as comparables is rather useless. You said all it takes is blah blah blah. That can happen to anyone and it's not something that really needs to be said because everyone knows that already. It'd be a nice change of pace for you to say anything remotely positive about the team.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheDanceOfMaternity

Jul 13, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Hertl vs. Bernier

Bernier was sick his first half season here and then got injured during a rehab stint in the AHL which killed basically his whole 2006-7 season, and was garbage all of next year before being shipped out for Campbell. 9 years ago on this board he was so highly regarded that a lot of people didn't want to trade him to Edmonton for Pronger!

How much better is Hertl now than 2007 Bernier, honestly?

Grave

Mondo Cool
Jun 23, 2009
Northern California
Hertl vs. Bernier

Bernier was sick his first half season here and then got injured during a rehab stint in the AHL which killed basically his whole 2006-7 season, and was garbage all of next year before being shipped out for Campbell. 9 years ago on this board he was so highly regarded that a lot of people didn't want to trade him to Edmonton for Pronger!

Uh ill trade Hertl for the equivalent of Pronger. Weber?

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Uh ill trade Hertl for the equivalent of Pronger. Weber?

To be fair, Pronger's value wasn't that high. And the trade would have involved Bernier and the Sharks's first...

Big contract (the equivalent of like 10 million today), he hadn't really come into his prime, and people weren't sure what the ideal team was in the "new NHL". With the new cap, old ways of roster-building were defenstrated. With the increased crackdown on obstruction, people were generally thinking that forwards would reign supreme...heck, there were people who were assured that Lidstrom would come crashing back down to Earth.

With Crosby, Ovechkin, and Malkin on the scene, not to mention the incredibly deep 2003-draft, the prospect-hype train was going full steam. People immediately grasped that those cheap contracts would be vital to fill out a roster.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
As a MTL fan who hardly ever see play western teams like the Sharks, can you tell me how Hertl is going so far? With such terrific hands, size and speed; why doesnt he has a breakout year this season? I remember after is 4 goals night 2 years ago, there were so much hype around him. How high you see his potential?

Last edited:

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
As a MTL who hardly ever see play western teams like the Sharks, can you tell me how Hertl is going so far? With such terrific hands, size and speed; why doesnt he has a breakout year this season? I remember after is 4 goals night 2 years ago, there were so much hype around him.

I suggest you watch the Sharks play a few games. Hertl is killing it right now.

The knee injury set him back a little bit after his hot start.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
20 ES points in 43 games this season. For those who said he would never score 40 ESP in a season, I think he has a pretty good shot at doing it this very season, lol. One of the few bright spots this year even if the numbers don't say it. He's been miles better this year than he was in his rookie year.

Hertl vs. Bernier

I didn't watch hockey in 2007 and I can tell you so many reasons why that's a terrible comparison.

MardocAgain

Apr 10, 2012
As a MTL fan who hardly ever see play western teams like the Sharks, can you tell me how Hertl is going so far? With such terrific hands, size and speed; why doesnt he has a breakout year this season? I remember after is 4 goals night 2 years ago, there were so much hype around him. How high you see his potential?

Speed is not an asset for Hertl. He's not slow, but he's not a player whose speed I would discuss. His skating was his biggest knock coming into his draft year.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Remember when Flyers fans were saying that they wouldn't trade much for Hertl as he is only a "30 point player"? He currently has more ES points than anybody on their team.

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
He's turned into my third favorite player..

I started following the Sharks due to Jumbo.. then I loved Cheech (It was sad when he was traded even though I knew it was better for the team).. then Burns and now Tomas.

So you can imagine my excitement on that goal the other night when Burns took the puck from the faceoff, beat 3 players, passed to JT who setup Hertl.. One of the prettiest goals I've ever seen and I think the neighbors heard me when it happened.

Jones is working his way up the list too

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Remember when Flyers fans were saying that they wouldn't trade much for Hertl as he is only a "30 point player"? He currently has more ES points than anybody on their team.

Yah .. but he is on the line with the Joes. Anyone could thrive there. :laugh: :sarcasm:

He has been awesome all year long. He has been a beast against the boards and his passing appears to have massively improved. He is also not very hesitant taking shots. His points total was bound to go up though. His SH% was around 4% just a little while back. Now his shots are going in and it has jumped up to 7%.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
20 ES points in 43 games this season. For those who said he would never score 40 ESP in a season, I think he has a pretty good shot at doing it this very season, lol. One of the few bright spots this year even if the numbers don't say it. He's been miles better this year than he was in his rookie year.

I didn't watch hockey in 2007 and I can tell you so many reasons why that's a terrible comparison.

Never? I said unrealistic. But whatever.

If he does it I think ppl need to realize he's never going to stir the drink on his line. He'll drive possession all day but he needs a drouin or a donskoi or a jumbo. If we can provide that to him long term he should eclipse Logan 5v5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad