Tomas Hertl

rkwittem

May 13, 2013
Fargo, ND
I'm not a Sharks fan (my mom is because you guys have some Miami (OH) kids on the team, but that's beside the point), but I recently came into possession of Tomas Hertl jersey at a killer discount (kind of a one-shot deal, or I'd share the site with you).

Is it a good purchase? I.E., what's this kid's ceiling? I have no clue what to expect, courtesy of Dustin Brown.
I like watching him and will be cheering for you guys in the West. I have a lot of respect for your organization and a lot of your players are likable.

For the mods: please merge if there's already a Hertl page. I didn't see one. The Bruins forum usually has one player discussion per player, so that's what I'm accustomed to.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I'm not a Sharks fan (my mom is because you guys have some Miami (OH) kids on the team, but that's beside the point), but I recently came into possession of Tomas Hertl jersey at a killer discount (kind of a one-shot deal, or I'd share the site with you).

Is it a good purchase? I.E., what's this kid's ceiling? I have no clue what to expect, courtesy of Dustin Brown.
I like watching him and will be cheering for you guys in the West. I have a lot of respect for your organization and a lot of your players are likable.

For the mods: please merge if there's already a Hertl page. I didn't see one. The Bruins forum usually has one player discussion per player, so that's what I'm accustomed to.

He's phenomenal. Very likely would have won the Calder this season if not for Brown. He has picked up right where he left off and is lighting up in the playoffs. Really, we can't say enough good thing about this kid, and we are INSANELY lucky to have him. For a team like the Sharks who consistently pick in the last 20's to get a player of his caliber is incredible. If we win the cup, he (and Nieto) will be a huge reason why.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Tomas Hertl's ceiling is high because aside from being physically gifted, he's a smart hockey player and extremely coachable and wants to be great.

Arrch

Apr 11, 2011
If you haven't already, check out the thread on the main boards about him and Dave and Busters. Even if he doesn't reach his playing ceiling, he can probably get close to Bryz when it comes to entertainment value.

HOOCH2173

That HOOCH is Crazy!
Nov 24, 2009
Lake Forest
With quotes like,

"This is Dream"
"Fun must be always"

and "I not like LA much"

How can you not like this kid?!

hertl-500x375.jpg

Last edited:

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA

Is it a good purchase? I.E., what's this kid's ceiling?
I have no clue what to expect, courtesy of Dustin Brown.

He's our franchise player. Vanek-type potential

rkwittem

May 13, 2013
Fargo, ND
If you haven't already, check out the thread on the main boards about him and Dave and Busters. Even if he doesn't reach his playing ceiling, he can probably get close to Bryz when it comes to entertainment value.

I did see that. He's a gem.

lamini

Nov 30, 2011
Prostějov

There is one...page 9 of SJ forum :laugh: well, seems it's a bit outdated

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
He's our franchise player. Vanek-type potential
except he can also play center, which is why I said between a Vanek Kopitar player in a different thread. But yes until he is given a role at center he is looking closer to Vanek. right now he is not an incredibly fierce back checker, but he also rarely looks lost in his own end.

Last night when he dove at our blueline to chip the puck up to Thornton at the other blueline, beautiful

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio

Hertl thread is here: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1511085

Not sure if the mods want to merge or not :dunno:

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
The thing he alwalys work on is boards. He dont know his weight and corners as like Sheppard. So, has nose for puck and can snipe/rebound. He dont have skating things.

Overall, for kids, he's likes it and no like LA, and want to win Cup

Also hands, has hands.

Last edited:

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
He's big and protects the puck well. He has made some errors but that's part of being young in the league. He has top line potential. Right now he can play on the top line with a guy like Thornton but I don't think he would be successful on all teams' top lines.

Hopefully he grows into a player that can play on the top line without needing another superstar to succeed.

SHAR KS

Choking Hazard
Dec 7, 2011
He's big and protects the puck well. He has made some errors but that's part of being young in the league. He has top line potential. Right now he can play on the top line with a guy like Thornton but I don't think he would be successful on all teams' top lines.

Hopefully he grows into a player that can play on the top line without needing another superstar to succeed.

No doubt Hertl will grow into a guy that can carry a line a create his own offense, heck you can see it in his game already. It doesn't hurt to play with good players, I mean look at what Mackinnon is doing with Statsny and Landeskog. It would be nice if Hertl had a chance to center the 3rd line. I think he has played there with Wingels and Sheppard, but I'm not sure if he's been the center.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I had the same question, but didn't want to argue it.

I don't think he's in the similar mold of a Kopitar so it would depend on what level you view Kopitar relative to what Hertl is. He seems more like Selanne really with less speed.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I had the same question, but didn't want to argue it.

I consider Kopitar a top 10 forward in the NHL so I don't think I'd be comfortable saying Hertl will reach that level but he certainly has a lot more tools in his tool box and if the org decides, at some point, to shift him to center he has the skillset to be a very good top line center that can play against the other teams best.

If they decide to leave him at wing I think there are parts of his game that probably won't develop quite as well.

Last edited:

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I consider Kopitar a top 10 forward in the NHL so I don't think I'd be comfortable saying Hertl will reach that level but he certainly has a lot more tools in his tool box and if the org decides, at some point, to shift him to center he has the skillset to be a very good top line center that can play against the other teams best.

If they decide to leave him at wing I think there are parts of his game that probably won't develop quite as well.

I'm just not ready to put a ceiling on him yet.

IMO he does so many little things aside from the scoring that he's a very special talent in my mind. For example, I've seen him on at least 5 occasions lunge for a poke check and direct the puck to a Shark player by turning his stick at the very last moment basically flipping it to a Shark and clearly not by accident. He just seems to think about every action he's taking.

Could it vanish to some extent as others study him? Sure. Could he keep growing into a super star? I think he can. I certainly hope he can :D

Aside from that, the word that clicked in my brain was "level", not position and level.

Just keep your head up kid ;)

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I'm just not ready to put a ceiling on him yet.

IMO he does so many little things aside from the scoring that he's a very special talent in my mind. For example, I've seen him on at least 5 occasions lunge for a poke check and direct the puck to a Shark player by turning his stick at the very last moment basically flipping it to a Shark and clearly not by accident. He just seems to think about every action he's taking.

Could it vanish to some extent as others study him? Sure. Could he keep growing into a super star? I think he can. I certainly hope he can :D

Aside from that, the word that clicked in my brain was "level", not position and level.

Just keep your head up kid ;)

I agree, he is, his hockey IQ is way, way up there and what he hasn't been able to show a lot of (though it certainly shines at times) are his vision and his playmaking abilities. He's much, much, much more then a goal scorer.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
Vanek's career years seem like a low ceiling for Hertl. Am I nuts?

No. I don't think it would be much to pass Vanek defensively or as a playmaker.

My only issue with overhyping Hertl is his skating. I like his hands, vision and IQ. If he really wants to be an all around star, his acceleration needs to improve a lot. He has time and coming back from injury, I am not looking to see much even next year. But, I would like to see steady improvement.

If he continues to play with JT and Burns, I think we will see a high end sniper. I do think he can be much more than that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad