Tomas Hertl

Jwec

Dec 21, 2015
Finland
Remember when Flyers fans were saying that they wouldn't trade much for Hertl as he is only a "30 point player"? He currently has more ES points than anybody on their team.

We still would be lucky to get a 2nd for him:sarcasm:

Hertl has been awesome. I think that against Dallas and Ottawa he actually looked better than Pavelski. He is definitely a top 6 player. And I think that next season he will hit at least 50-55 points.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I'm just imagining Hertl as an older hockey veteran with a big goofy smile now who speaks with near perfect english still saying "Fun must be always"

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
In his last 6 games, Hertl has 4 goals, 3 assists, but also 22 shots on goal. If he can keep that rate of shots per game, and maintains his career shooting percentage, that's 30 goals right there. I'm still amazed how many people were writing off due to his production at the start of the year. Literally every time he has been put with slightly talented linemates he has excelled.

His possession game has been fantastic all year, his performance is a perfect example of why advanced statistics are clearly relevant. He's been fantastic all year but was just horribly unlucky.

This is also why Kevin Kurz simply cannot be taken seriously. He was just suggesting Mike Richards be signed to replace Tomas Hertl. Like a week ago. lol.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
In his last 6 games, Hertl has 4 goals, 3 assists, but also 22 shots on goal. If he can keep that rate of shots per game, and maintains his career shooting percentage, that's 30 goals right there. I'm still amazed how many people were writing off due to his production at the start of the year. Literally every time he has been put with slightly talented linemates he has excelled.

His possession game has been fantastic all year, his performance is a perfect example of why advanced statistics are clearly relevant. He's been fantastic all year but was just horribly unlucky.

This is also why Kevin Kurz simply cannot be taken seriously. He was just suggesting Mike Richards be signed to replace Tomas Hertl. Like a week ago. lol.

Don't know that anyone wrote him off on here but honestly using his play with the joes to constantly say I told you so is boring. Regardless of who he played with he had trouble scoring goals until He was placed with jumbo. If we can give him a playmaker he will absolutely pot 30. But can he do it with marleau and nieto/wingels a la couture? Who knows. So I laugh when I see line ups penciling hertl in over couture we 2C.

Jumbo is old and while he looks to be keeping a high level of play we need hertl to be a two way center that can score on the powerplay. So if goldobin figures it out, donskoi becomes a 50 pt playmaker or we trade for someone like drouin hertl will shine.

That's why I love cooch so much. We all know he needs a playmaker but he's still getting it done at ES and on the pp. hertl could eclipse couture 5v5 with a good playmaker but he needs work on the pp.

Hell im probably being too hard on him. Jumbo needs pavs, pavs needs jumbo and we consider them our best. But you move pavs and he drops like a rock. So whatever. Hertl was great in all three zones. He just lacked goal scoring, and while kurz maybe was off suggesting Richards could replace his goal scoring he wasn't wrong to call out his lack of production.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Don't know that anyone wrote him off on here but honestly using his play with the joes to constantly say I told you so is boring. Regardless of who he played with he had trouble scoring goals until He was placed with jumbo. If we can give him a playmaker he will absolutely pot 30. But can he do it with marleau and nieto/wingels a la couture? Who knows. So I laugh when I see line ups penciling hertl in over couture we 2C.

Jumbo is old and while he looks to be keeping a high level of play we need hertl to be a two way center that can score on the powerplay. So if goldobin figures it out, donskoi becomes a 50 pt playmaker or we trade for someone like drouin hertl will shine.

That's why I love cooch so much. We all know he needs a playmaker but he's still getting it done at ES and on the pp. hertl could eclipse couture 5v5 with a good playmaker but he needs work on the pp.

Hell im probably being too hard on him. Jumbo needs pavs, pavs needs jumbo and we consider them our best. But you move pavs and he drops like a rock. So whatever. Hertl was great in all three zones. He just lacked goal scoring, and while kurz maybe was off suggesting Richards could replace his goal scoring he wasn't wrong to call out his lack of production.

IMO Hertl's not exactly a product of the Joes this time around. He's easily been an equal contributor this time around. So yea, benefiting from playing with good players but not without giving back.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
IMO Hertl's not exactly a product of the Joes this time around. He's easily been an equal contributor this time around. So yea, benefiting from playing with good players but not without giving back.

Maybe. But consider that with marleau and ward he scored 0 5v5 goals and with jumbo his gf% is almost 90%. That's insane and not in a good way.

So he is clearly benefiting.

What I will say is that other players have gotten that chance and did not benefit nearly as much.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Maybe. But consider that with marleau and ward he scored 0 5v5 goals and with jumbo his gf% is almost 90%. That's insane and not in a good way.

So he is clearly benefiting.

What I will say is that other players have gotten that chance and did not benefit nearly as much.

well, he did play center with marleau and ward.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

That was the other part of the season that he was on the teams best line. Now he is on the team's best line but is the 2nd most important on it due to Thornton's presence. He was the most important player on his line with Marleau and Ward.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012

Centers don't score goals?

He played really well on that line but he had no space out there. So my only opinion on this matter is that he needs someone to create space for him. It's not a horrible thing but it is how you get the most out of him.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Centering marleau and ward is not how you're going to score goals. Couture's a proven goal scorer and he isn't scoring with them.

Honestly, I don't think Ward and Marleau on the same line is a good idea long term. They're both forecheckers with pretty poor hands who are good at board battles and good defensively.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Centering marleau and ward is not how you're going to score goals. Couture's a proven goal scorer and he isn't scoring with them.

Honestly, I don't think Ward and Marleau on the same line is a good idea long term. They're both forecheckers with pretty poor hands who are good at board battles and good defensively.

I'd agree with you if couture hasn't proven that he can score with patty and wingels pretty consistently.

I'm trying not to bash this kid because he's fantastic. But we have to build a line for him. Where as couture is a bit easier to move around. If we build hertl a line he will eclipse couture offensively. Nothing wrong with that.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
We still would be lucky to get a 2nd for him:sarcasm:

Hertl has been awesome. I think that against Dallas and Ottawa he actually looked better than Pavelski. He is definitely a top 6 player. And I think that next season he will hit at least 50-55 points.

He's the guy that will slot over and take Thornton's place on the 1st line when Jumbo retires/leaves.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
What kind of comp? Contract?

What's the difference? Comp to find out what kind of players he matches up to to see what kind of contract he'd likely get. I know all 3 of those are RFAs as well but they seem close in terms of stats.

I'll have to look back to last offseason's RFA signings to see if there are any comps.

I know with Kreider it's been speculated by Rangers fans that he's looking in the $5-6M range and I was surprised his stats weren't that much better than Hertl's at a quick glance.

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California

I wouldn't go so far as to say he's been fantastic all year, but he looks right at home on the wing on the first line. He still hasn't dispalyed that he can be an effective center in the nhl yet, though.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I wouldn't go so far as to say he's been fantastic all year, but he looks right at home on the wing on the first line. He still hasn't dispalyed that he can be an effective center in the nhl yet, though.

Yes he has but you believe for someone to be an effective center, they need to score goals. However, there's more to the position than that.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Yes he has but you believe for someone to be an effective center, they need to score goals. However, there's more to the position than that.

Imo if he was a playmaker is agree with you. But he's actually kind of bad at it as evidenced by his play on the marleau line and on the powerplay. He's setup to be a goal scorer but as of right now he needs someone to get him the puck in scoring positions. Nothing wrong with that but I say to be a top six center he absolutely needs to score goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad