Tomas Hertl

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I haven't seen a single sharks game, but just by looking at stats you can say he struggling to score goals. Scored his only 2 in the first three matches and since then (16 matches) he couldn't get it into the net. His shooting % is 4,2 and total amount of shots is 48. 4,2 is just very, very low.

While all of this is accurate, it does not touch at all on how fantastic he's been as a playmaker and center. He stepped right into Couture's shoes (huge shoes to fill) and excelled at it. He's regularly looked like the most dangerous player on the ice whenever he's out there, and while his goals are not coming so far, I honestly prefer the possession and playmaking and defensive responsibility he's showing. Those are the things that will determine if he can be a #1 center in this league.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
While all of this is accurate, it does not touch at all on how fantastic he's been as a playmaker and center. He stepped right into Couture's shoes (huge shoes to fill) and excelled at it. He's regularly looked like the most dangerous player on the ice whenever he's out there, and while his goals are not coming so far, I honestly prefer the possession and playmaking and defensive responsibility he's showing. Those are the things that will determine if he can be a #1 center in this league.

I think he just needs to pull the trigger a little quicker and the goals will come. It's a tough thing to criticize because his patience with the puck creates a lot of havoc but it also prevents him from getting a jump on the goalie when he gets the puck into higher scoring areas.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Hertl has been outstanding this season skating at center, though a bit unlucky scoring wise.

He's been elite in possession, creates a lot offensively, uses his size very well, has been pretty good defensively and makes players around him better.

The points will come for him but so far this season I think he's been everything the org hoped for when they drafted him and he should continue to get better.

It's really unfortunate not only that he was injured in his rookie season but that the effects lingered through last season but it seems to be completely behind him now.

For the most part I agree but not super sure if I agree on him using his size well. To me, one of the weaker parts of his game seems to be his ability to keep body position between the puck and forecheckers/defense. Clearly it's not affecting his possession game but I think he could be a world beater if he could protect the puck at a Thornton or Marleau level. I'm happy with his performance regardless though.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
For the most part I agree but not super sure if I agree on him using his size well. To me, one of the weaker parts of his game seems to be his ability to keep body position between the puck and forecheckers/defense. Clearly it's not affecting his possession game but I think he could be a world beater if he could protect the puck at a Thornton or Marleau level. I'm happy with his performance regardless though.

There are very few players in the NHL that can protect the puck like Thornton but I guess we're seeing the game a bit differently as I think Hertl has been good at protecting the puck down low and around the net, he's been doing it well enough to give not just himself a bit more space to make plays but also to give his linemates more time/space to find openings on the ice.

He's also been pretty good at shrugging of checks and winning board battles.

cleveland408

Registered
Apr 12, 2014
. Clearly it's not affecting his possession game but I think he could be a world beater if he could protect the puck at a Thornton or Marleau level. I'm happy with his performance regardless though.

I agree with this. Once Hertl puts a bit more weight on and gains some strength He'll a puck possession monster at Jumbo's level.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I agree with this. Once Hertl puts a bit more weight on and gains some strength He'll a puck possession monster at Jumbo's level.

he's not that far off right now BUT where he doesn't come close to comparing is turning that possession into an attack. thornton uses his ability to hold the puck to set up incredible plays, looking a step or two ahead. right now hertl is concentrating on holding onto the puck. that should improve over time.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
I am pleasantly surprised by your opinions. I am mainly a stat watcher, as there's just too few games played in EU time, so when I saw his point total or shooting prercentage, I was getting worried his rookie season was a fluke and he is on the way of becoming ''only'' a good third liner. But I guess I was wrong and it makes me want to watch the San Jose v Columbus duel, which is played in Euro time. :)

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
he's not that far off right now BUT where he doesn't come close to comparing is turning that possession into an attack. thornton uses his ability to hold the puck to set up incredible plays, looking a step or two ahead. right now hertl is concentrating on holding onto the puck. that should improve over time.

This is key. Hertl is more "holding on for dear life" to Thornton's "chessmaster, thinking steps ahead" type of approach. That's no insult to Hertl, as it'll come with time. I'm very impressed with how his decision making has improved already.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Hertl is a physical beast. His ability to protect the puck on the boards impressed me every game.

Kinda unfair to compare him to Joe freakin' Thornton.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Hertl is a physical beast. His ability to protect the puck on the boards impressed me every game.

Kinda unfair to compare him to Joe freakin' Thornton.

Yah, seriously, Joe may be one of the best puck protection players of all time. I mean, even at 36, the guy is still nearly impossible to strip the puck from, it's surreal.

Episkey

Nitrox
Mar 12, 2013
California
Hertl's developed into a more responsible player this season. Harder on the puck, flashes of sweet skill, good in the defensive zone. Did a great job of stepping into that 2C spot where he'll hopefully continue to play until Couture is ready. Shame he won't have more talented linemates after that.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I wish he could clone Karlsson. He's like the perfect plug and play complementary player. Just imagine:

Karlsson-Thornton-Pavelski
Marleau-Couture-Ward
Karlsson-Hertl-Donskoi
Karlsson-Tierney-Nieto

and I wanna see more Scandinavian connections.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Which would put Wingels on the 4th line where he belongs.

I would love to see this work next year:

Karlsson JT Pavs
Goldobin/Patty? Couture Ward
Donskoi Hertl Meier
Nieto Tierney Wingels (all these guys need to step up or maybe we get something good for Marleau and or sign a 4th line center.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I would love to see this work next year:

Karlsson JT Pavs
Goldobin Patty? Ward
Donskoi Hertl Meier
Nieto Tierney Wingels (all these guys need to step up or maybe we sign a 4th line center.

What happened to Logan? :laugh:

But also I agree that Meier would be an awesome compliment to Hertl. He'll be in SJ either way (AHL or NHL) so I'm sure he'll get a shot with the big team at some point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad