Confirmed with Link: Tom Wilson Re-signs 6 years, $5.17 AAV

How do you feel about Tom Wilson's new contract?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KenAF

Mar 27, 2008
Washington, DC
This contract is GMBM’s first significant mistake. To me, this is massive overpayment for a 20-30pt role player with limited to no offensive upside. If we wanted a goon that is strong on the puck, that is something we could have had elsewhere for $2-3M per year and a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Don’t get me wrong, I really like Tom Wilson at $2-3M/year. But at $5.17M/year? Not just no, hell no. I would have much rather put that money toward a player that can play good defense, put the puck in the net, and create offensive opportunities for his teammates on the power play (e.g., Panarin).

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Caps kind of got bent over here... I mean, how much more could he even theoretically/reasonably demand? Let's guess the logic for the strange AAV. The overall money is 6*5.17=31M. So, for example, the calculation might be 2 RFA years at 4.5 (=9M), and 4 UFA years at 5.5 (=22M). Or 2@ 3.5M + 4 * 6M. I mean... that's a pretty damn high valuation of potential & intangibles.

I do think that Wilson is (at least) certainly capable of justifying this contract over time, but it sucks that the Caps could not negotiate down to a better number -- they seemed to be in good position to do so.
Given the high price and the Caps' situation (remaining Ovi years), it's also not clear why not take a shorter/cheaper contract, say a 4-year deal. Paying Wilson more in 4 years (and really how much more might it be?) could very well be better than paying him more now.

Not an albatross (hopefully), but add it to the list of those "Really is a 500K-1M overpayment, but what are you gonna do" contracts... and Wilson should've had less leverage than all of the guys who got those.

Good occasion to thank Backstrom, Eller, and now Kempny for making it possible to maintain a deep team!

Ofc, SC champions, so it's all roses in the grand scheme of things. At least now there's no going back to sending Wilson to the checking lines -- top-6 or bust!

Reactions: Jags

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
This contract is GMBM’s first significant mistake. To me, this is massive overpayment for a 20-30pt role player with limited to no offensive upside. If we wanted a goon that is strong on the puck, that is something we could have had elsewhere for $2-3M per year and a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Don’t get me wrong, I really like Tom Wilson at $2-3M/year. But at $5.17M/year? Not just no, hell no. I would have much rather put that money toward a player that can play good defense, put the puck in the net, and create offensive opportunities for his teammates on the power play (e.g., Panarin).
You arent getting Panarin for 5.17 per season.
I like Wilson. He brings a lot more to the table than just points. But I still think this is a bit much for him.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Caps kind of got bent over here... I mean, how much more could he even theoretically/reasonably demand? Let's guess the logic for the strange AAV. The overall money is 6*5.17=31M. So, for example, the calculation might be 2 RFA years at 4.5 (=9M), and 4 UFA years at 5.5 (=22M). Or 2@ 3.5M + 4 * 6M. I mean... that's a pretty damn high valuation of potential & intangibles.

I do think that Wilson is (at least) certainly capable of justifying this contract over time, but it sucks that the Caps could not negotiate down to a better number -- they seemed to be in good position to do so.
Given the high price and the Caps' situation (remaining Ovi years), it's also not clear why not take a shorter/cheaper contract, say a 4-year deal. Paying Wilson more in 4 years (and really how much more might it be?) could very well be better than paying him more now.

Not an albatross (hopefully), but add it to the list of those "Really is a 500K-1M overpayment, but what are you gonna do" contracts... and Wilson should've had less leverage than all of the guys who got those.

Good occasion to thank Backstrom, Eller, and now Kempny for making it possible to maintain a deep team!

Ofc, SC champions, so it's all roses in the grand scheme of things. At least now there's no going back to sending Wilson to the checking lines -- top-6 or bust!

I think it’s bridge deal — 2yrs at 3.5m (as most were clamouring for)
Then FA deal — 4yrs at 6m (which was easily what his ES production was worth)

As you stated.

It is an aggressive contract for an aggressive player. But it doesn’t shock me anymore than the Kuz and Orlov deals did. Same vein.

Good, good

KenAF

Mar 27, 2008
Washington, DC
You arent getting Panarin for 5.17 per season.
I like Wilson. He brings a lot more to the table than just points. But I still think this is a bit much for him.
Panarin’s asking price will probably be around $9M per season. But $5.17M gets you much of the way there. While it’s true that Wilson creates some space for Ovechkin with his physicality, Panarin and other talented players create space for their teammates with skill...and they put the puck in the net and setup goals, which Wilson does not.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
His is 10% more than I was expecting over 6 years. The best comparable to me is Clutterbuck. Last year he got 5x$3.5M coming off 20 points in 66 games because there are teams that believe a hit can turn around a game and no one hits like Wilson. Wilson got 2x$2M on his last deal despite coming off 22 pts in 82 games, I think that was after the Islanders series where he wrecked that guy.

KenAF

Mar 27, 2008
Washington, DC
ill just say this. when the caps signed niskanen, it was too much money according to most here. now its a fair price. when the caps signed kuzy, it was too much money, now its fair price. when the caps signed oshie, it was too much money, now its fair price, get my drift?
Apples and oranges. Oshie was an offensive talent who was limited by the skill of his former teammates. Kuzy was (is) an offensive talent with significant upside. Neither applies to Wilson; Wilson already plays with the league’s best, and, at 24yo (fixed), he has shown little in the way of offensive talent or upside.

Last edited:

sapperdaddy

Jul 8, 2018
NoVA/Washington DC

Wilson does almost all of those things and is a 5v5 beast. He also has a lot more upside than people give him credit for. People forget he's like 1-2 years behind in his development due to the dumpster fire that was Oates at the helm.

Wilson is also the guy who creates a lot of scoring chances and goals in ways where he gets no statistical credit.

Reactions: g00n

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Panarin’s asking price will probably be around $9M per season. But $5.17M gets you much of the way there. While it’s true that Wilson creates some space for Ovechkin with his physicality, Panarin and other talented players create space for their teammates with skill...and they put the puck in the net and setup goals, which Wilson does not.

Nah. It’s about building a TEAM. Caps have enough “scorers” right now (Ovy, Oshie, Kuz, Backs, Bura, Vrana, Eller) in the top 9. They need other things to balance it, and Tom brings it in spades. PLUS, he can score well in ES, which is where this team has faltered ...for ....so.....damned.....long.....in the playoffs.

We don’t need another skilled scorer. We just don’t. We need Tom Wilson.

Good, good.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Apples and oranges. Oshie was an offensive talent who was limited by the skill of his former teammates. Kuzy is an offensive talent with significant upside. Neither applies to Wilson; he already plays with the lesgue’s best, and, at 26yo, he has shown little in the way of offensive talent or upside.

the point im making is that we dont know what he will do next year. what if he hits 25 goals by playing with ovie and kuzy, he had 14 goals and dont think he played more then half the season with those two (could be wrong). we dont know what type of offense rierden will run. will it be run and gun? means more scoring etc. we really cant judge this until next offseason

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Nah. It’s about building a TEAM. Caps have enough “scorers” right now (Ovy, Oshie, Kuz, Backs, Bura, Vrana, Eller) in the top 9. They need other things to balance it, and Tom brings it in spades. PLUS, he can score well in ES, which is where this team has faltered ...for ....so.....damned.....long.....in the playoffs.

Good, good.
This. LOL at folks stressing about the AAV. Willy’s gonna earn every penny!

Reactions: HeyMattyB

KenAF

Mar 27, 2008
Washington, DC
Agree to disagree. All teams need role players, but you don’t build a successful team by paying role players $5.17M per year.

Edit: Before long, I suspect most will view Wilson’s contract as among the worst in hockey.

Last edited:

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Agree to disagree. All teams need role players, but you don’t build a successful team by paying role players $5.17M per year.
Wilson isn’t a role player in the sense that Connolly or Beagle are. He’s 1RW. He’s just not the main or even secondary scorer on that line.

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
A bit more AAV than I expected, but 6 years buys UFA time so the >$5m amount makes some sense.

Looked at a few pages on the mains and it's great to see the reaction. Predictable.

Only time will tell. Until then, In BMac We Trust.

Reactions: calicapsfan

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
ill just say this. when the caps signed niskanen, it was too much money according to most here. now its a fair price. when the caps signed kuzy, it was too much money, now its fair price. when the caps signed oshie, it was too much money, now its fair price, get my drift?

That's just lazy thinking on multiple levels.

For starters, what about Laich, Brouwer -- convenient to forget? As for Oshie, jury is very much still out, considering the remaining term on his deal. And those guys are a much more realistic comparison to Wilson's contract, in terms of role/ability/risk/reward, than guys like Kuz and Carlson, who were quality guys at the most essential positions (Re: Niskanen, I don't see that situation as a relevant comparable).

Reactions: 895
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad