Speculation: Tom Dundon so cheap

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Not sure if this is really the right thread but youth hockey on the Orange county side of the triangle is getting a facelift apparently courtesy of the canes (and I assume in some way Dundon). The hillsborough sharks are becoming:
Hogs_Home_Jersey_medium.jpg

Completely awesome and according to their website they were approached by the Canes to do this.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Not sure if this is really the right thread but youth hockey on the Orange county side of the triangle is getting a facelift apparently courtesy of the canes (and I assume in some way Dundon). The hillsborough sharks are becoming:
Hogs_Home_Jersey_medium.jpg

Completely awesome and according to their website they were approached by the Canes to do this.
That's is a sweet jersey!

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Yeah, I saw the new Hogs branding on Wednesday night and wondered if it was driven by the Canes. RIP Sharks, but pretty cool.

The Hillsborough rink itself is also clearly in the midst of absorbing yet more Canes branding.

The more time passes, the clearer it becomes that the Canes are investing for the future all across the board.

Here's the copy from their website:

TYHNC and the Carolina Hurricanes are proud to announce an exciting, fun change that demonstrates the strength of a great, and growing, partnership between the two organizations. Effective today, the “Hillsborough Sharks” will become the “Hillsborough Hogs!” The new mascot and logo will come with a color scheme and uniform change that should look very familiar to Canes fans.

Why the change? The Hurricanes, who have always been significant contributors to TYHNC through annual grants and other donations of funds and resources, approached TYHNC last spring and inquired if we would be interested in “wearing their colors” to further solidify the relationship between the two hockey clubs, as well as “match” the new color scheme of our home rink (i.e., the Sportsplex, which is now decked out in black, red, and white). The TYHNC board members were honored and grateful for this offer from an NHL franchise. Both the Canes and TYHNC agreed it was important for us to maintain a unique brand and logo that would set us apart from other youth hockey organizations in the area. With the decision to look at options, the Canes design department went to work, and the Hogs name and logo was chosen as a tie-in to both the Canes (Stormy, Caroline, Hamilton) as well as a nod to the proud history of the hog within and around the Hillsborough area (local farming, the Hog Days Festival, James Hogg, etc.). The decision was finalized with the results from a small focus group: Kids love pigs!​

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Yeah, I saw the new Hogs branding on Wednesday night and wondered if it was driven by the Canes. RIP Sharks, but pretty cool.

The Hillsborough rink itself is also clearly in the midst of absorbing yet more Canes branding.

The more time passes, the clearer it becomes that the Canes are investing for the future all across the board.

TYHNC and the Carolina Hurricanes are proud to announce an exciting, fun change that demonstrates the strength of a great, and growing, partnership between the two organizations. Effective today, the “Hillsborough Sharks” will become the “Hillsborough Hogs!” The new mascot and logo will come with a color scheme and uniform change that should look very familiar to Canes fans.

Why the change? The Hurricanes, who have always been significant contributors to TYHNC through annual grants and other donations of funds and resources, approached TYHNC last spring and inquired if we would be interested in “wearing their colors” to further solidify the relationship between the two hockey clubs, as well as “match” the new color scheme of our home rink (i.e., the Sportsplex, which is now decked out in black, red, and white). The TYHNC board members were honored and grateful for this offer from an NHL franchise. Both the Canes and TYHNC agreed it was important for us to maintain a unique brand and logo that would set us apart from other youth hockey organizations in the area. With the decision to look at options, the Canes design department went to work, and the Hogs name and logo was chosen as a tie-in to both the Canes (Stormy, Caroline, Hamilton) as well as a nod to the proud history of the hog within and around the Hillsborough area (local farming, the Hog Days Festival, James Hogg, etc.). The decision was finalized with the results from a small focus group: Kids love pigs!​
2 things

1 - is Hamilton the Pig now an official part of the Canes brand? Because, I'm totally on board with it if he is.

2 - This sounds very similar to what NCFC did with the CASL brand, and I'm all for it. I like the idea of trying to get all the developmental programs in the area for various sports under the umbrella of the local professional franchise, even if symbolic. Helps these kids identify with the Canes brand and should help turn the tide of the youth fans trending toward the Canes as their team instead of whatever one their parents might follow.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008

I've been saying for years that my biggest issue with the Canes since *before* I even got there (I started in July 2001) was that there wasn't enough of a "Canes presence" in the area. When I travel to Pittsburgh, the who town gives off the "hey, the Steelers and Penguins play here" vibe.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I'm not sure how it all went down behind the scenes, but the Hillsborough Sharks have been around forever- longer than the Canes definitely and I think even longer than the NHL Sharks. Them switching over to a Canes brand while also staying uniquely Hillsborough (not another junior canes or something like that) is fantastic and can only be good for both parties.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
ron Francis will be back. You can't keep a good man down. Cheap Dundon !!!!
Francis to be named new Seattle team G.M.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
If there's one thing I'm confident in, it's that Dundon's "cheapness" had zero to do with Francis being jettisoned. Because Francis still had a year left on his contract when he was fired, I can't see how money had anything to do with the decision...maybe that could be said if Dundon hadn't been willing to renew his contract, but that's not what happened.

To my estimation, Francis had full control, Dundon said the GM would no longer have that much control, and the negotiation of how much control the GM would have was not agreeable to Francis. Simple.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad