Confirmed with Link: Tom Anselmi in as CEO and President, Cyril Leeder steps down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 10, 2010
He's never been a winner with the Leafs, hope he has 0 say in hockey decisions.

Let him help get that new arena after that let him go :laugh:

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
It was mentioned that his construction background is a major factor in the hiring.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Mentioned that in MLSE they need a COO and CEO and other management because htey are so huge, and in comparison to them Sens management is "a small team" (part of the explanation why Leeder is no longer needed) but the Senators are going to grow rapidly and this will help prepare for that growth.

Oct 10, 2010
Anselmi is great if you want a new arena, but he is horrendous while running a sports team.

The track record of teams that were under his thumb were horrendous here in Toronto, TFC in particular was a a particular embarrassment.

I am looking at that i find it to be atrocious. A complete embarrassment. Hope he has absolutely zero say in roster related moves.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Lets hope he has nothing to do with hockey ops.

The moral of the story is give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach him to fish and he eats for life. No that can't be it!

Lets try that again... oh yes...Find a man a liver to save his life and get kicked to the curb

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Anselmi is great if you want a new arena, but he is horrendous while running a sports team.

The track record of teams that were under his thumb were horrendous here in Toronto, TFC in particular was a a particular embarrassment.

Maybe that's why they hired him as CEO and not GM or coach?

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Great hire for building a new arena. Hopefully he has learned that he knows absolutely nothing about how to run a sports team and hires the right people to do that.

Not to make this sound like Leaf fan piling on, I wouldn't wish him on my worst enemy.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Bingo is hiring him as gm/coach???

:sarcasm:

:laugh:

Tom won't be happy to hear that he is Belleville-bound.

CEO sometimes have a say. Until said otherwise he could still be involved in hockey related moves. So hold onto your bingo for now.

it was more of a "this is what should happen" kind of bingo.

Don't be so negative about everything we do, fellas!

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Maybe that's why they hired him as CEO and not GM or coach?

Who hires the GM to make those decisions? And you don't think the CEO and President has any say in the decisions of hiring scouts, coaches and all that jazz? What about the philosophy of the team being built?

If Anselmi was only there for an arena advisor/builder, I'm pretty sure that doesn't require making him to be the President and CEO of the team. Melnyk even said that he apparently built the Leafs, which couldn't be further from the truth.

At the end of the day, I think his business mind is great and he did a lot of good things on that front but what he did for the Sports side of things in MLSE was not very good at all.

Last edited:

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Who hires the GM to make those decisions? And you don't think the CEO and President has any say in the decisions of hiring scouts, coaches and all that jazz? What about the philosophy of the team being built?

Oh...

I love Bryan Murray but we can all agree he's leaving soon.

You know we already replaced Murray? :help:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It was not fine under the teachers.
That is because they gave Tannenbaum too much lee-way and Peddie and Anselmi were incompetent on the managing side of the teams. They botched every major hire under them during their reign. Most notably Rob Babcock, but JFJ, Burke and Colangelo. The Teachers were basically a pension plan who invested money for a long-term profit (which they made) and hired people to run the day to day and gave Tannenbaum too much power. Were they great owners, absolutely not, but they were far from the worst. It was the people they hired to run the team who were the disaster. Rogers and Bell are also fairly hands-off but they hired a competent person to put competent people in place. The OTPP owns a bunch of stuff which they run fine and weren't interventionalist. Its more certain things went unchecked or they were too trusting.

The main reason I don't think this will have much effect though is because your team is owned by a single person and subject to the whims of Eugene Melnyk, therefore there isn't as massive a corporate structure in place. You recently hired a GM and a Coach, so it is unlikely Anselmi will have a say in hiring anyone to replace them soon.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
That is because they gave Tannenbaum too much lee-way and Peddie and Anselmi were incompetent on the managing side of the teams. They botched every major hire under them during their reign. Most notably Rob Babcock, but JFJ, Burke and Colangelo. The Teachers were basically a pension plan who invested money for a long-term profit (which they made) and hired people to run the day to day and gave Tannenbaum too much power. Were they great owners, absolutely not, but they were far from the worst. It was the people they hired to run the team who were the disaster. Rogers and Bell are also fairly hands-off but they hired a competent person to put competent people in place. The OTPP owns a bunch of stuff which they run fine and weren't interventionalist. Its more certain things went unchecked or they were too trusting.

The main reason I don't think this will have much effect though is because your team is owned by a single person and subject to the whims of Eugene Melnyk, therefore there isn't as massive a corporate structure in place. You recently hired a GM and a Coach, so it is unlikely Anselmi will have a say in hiring anyone to replace them soon.

If you go by what some said the teachers wanted to focus on the Leafs and not the Toronto fc and Raps.

RyCam

Nov 3, 2016
It's pretty clear he was hired to lead the team through the Lebreton arena development, construction is his background and chief expertise. If the team manages to run well in the other operations during that time, it's all good, otherwise he's replaceable.

Obviously I'm hoping we continue doing well with Anselmi at the helm, would be terrible to see a crappy team for until whenever the arena is complete.

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
Leeder has been great to this franchise, but I kind of agree that the Sens need a change.

How many years now has the organization been out of touch with its fanbase? From jerseys, logo and weird advertising to its fans. It's time for a change.

Best of luck to Leeder.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
It's true that the new construction is a major part of this but also in the shorter term imo Melnyk thinks that after so many years Cyril was stale and out of fresh marketing ideas. It might have been pure fantasy that it would happen but Melnyk had his heart set on playing on Parliament Hill at taxpayer expense. Now he has to deal with a nemesis and might actually have to hand some cash over to them. Surely the lack of new sponsorship money and falling ticket and corporate suite sales have bothered Melnyk too. I doubt it's one thing only.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If you go by what some said the teachers wanted to focus on the Leafs and not the Toronto fc and Raps.
They put a lot of money into both. To say they only cared about the Leafs would be an unfair criticism. I don't know how you can say they didn't care about the Raptors when they broke the GM salary ceiling with the hire of Colangelo. The biggest complaint about them was the corporate structure and making the wrong hires. That is mainly Peddie and Anselmi's doing.

I'd like to hear who these some people said are. I'm glad we no longer have the teachers because Bell and Rogers are better for being more visionary and long-term, but to blame Anselmi and Peddie's incompetence on them is a reach. I don't see any evidence on how he was handcuffed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad