Confirmed with Link: Toews out indefinitely with illness

Status
Not open for further replies.

gach

Aug 2, 2018
Much harder to do now, with 31 teams, than it was back then, with 6-14 teams.
True enough but the modern day player has the advantage in general of better coaching starting at a younger age, way better understanding of training and health and way better equipment especially skates. I guess this is why one can make an argument for different players in different times. In 1998 Hockey News (which was the hockey Bible at that time) rated the top 100 players of all time and Hull was number 8 and the top left winger. I must say the hawks have had some great players over time but just a few top teams.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Bobby was my favourite as a kid which will always remain in a special place for me.
Going all time I had to look at the 3 Cups and the leadership and sheer will that Toews exhibited to carry the team at times that put him to the top for me .. Stan the man very very close behind.

You can’t truly believe that, Stan was handed a core that carried the team from start to finish, he just made minor tweaks and really stayed away from making major moves and the team was successful, as soon as Stan started losing core pieces and had to replace them everything fell apart, as soon as he started making big trades his true colors came out, as soon as he started signing big expiring contracts his true colors came out, Stan the man is a horrible GM.

gach

Aug 2, 2018
I have a hard time considering anyone who is as big of a piece of shit as Hull, the greatest Hawk of all time. Regardless of how good a player he was. Character matters.
Fair enough...so you must think Kane is also disqualified?

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
You can’t truly believe that, Stan was handed a core that carried the team from start to finish, he just made minor tweaks and really stayed away from making major moves and the team was successful, as soon as Stan started losing core pieces and had to replace them everything fell apart, as soon as he started making big trades his true colors came out, as soon as he started signing big expiring contracts his true colors came out, Stan the man is a horrible GM.

He's talking about Stan Mikita. Good to see Bowman living rent-free in your mind though.

gach

Aug 2, 2018
Why would Kane be disqualified? Because he liked to drink and party when he was younger? In what world is that even remotely comparable to being a wife beating, racist, Nazi sympathizer?
I was thinking about a high payed athlete and his cousin beating an old man driving a cab so you don't have to pay the tab and being drunk is an excuse not a reason

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I was thinking about a high payed athlete and his cousin beating an old man driving a cab so you don't have to pay the tab and being drunk is an excuse not a reason

Still not in the same stratosphere. Even if Kane was the one that "beat up the old man". The cab driver also locked them inside.

Totally the same as repeatedly beating your wives, making racist comments, and being a Nazi sympathizer though.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I understand your thinking and I base my opinion on Hull won 2 Hart, 3 Art Ross trophies, 7 years in a roll as the leagues leading goal scorer. If anyone beats that as a Blackhawk I'll change my mind
I know everyone can gave an opinion on who's the greatest Chihawk ever so my vote would still be Bobby Hull

Hull and Stan didn't win the 3 cups that Toews and Kane have but they came damn close on a few occasions. f***ing Montreal stole a few. As well, both guys could play in the trenches as was the case with most players back then.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I have a hard time considering anyone who is as big of a piece of shit as Hull, the greatest Hawk of all time. Regardless of how good a player he was. Character matters.
Feel that way about Tiger too? He was the best golfer ever and a tool as well. I have no problem separating the off ice issues with his on ice performance. Not saying he gets a pass for the things he did but he was a great hockey player and a douche. They can go hand in hand.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
IF Toews tries to come back...when SHOULD he begin training at the latest?

. Early July?

.Early August?

.Late August?

.Two weeks before Training Camp?

. Only at training camp ...use the practices and pre-season to "get in shape" after being out more than a year away from hockey?

Personally.. I think it will tell us a lot if he fails to start his training sonetinecinJuky or Early August.

The longer he waits the more he probably will not do well in his come back...or he gets discouraged and decides he cannot do it any more and retires.

Last edited:

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Even worse...the possibility of 10.5 cap put into 2 more LTIR seasons.

The NHL must cangevtgevrukes...LTIR should only apply if a guy has a possibility of ever pkaying again to fulfill his contract..it should NOT tie up teams with LTIR rules for years and years ifvthey get an injury or illness that forces retirement ..

Under cireentvriles it seems LTIR is the only relief a team gets till contract is over even if player never pjays again after injury orvmedical condition.

Imagine if you sign a free agentvthus summer for a 5 to 7 year deal and he gets a career ending injury in training camp or pre-seaon...you are albatrossed for 5 to 7 more years depending on contract length and you must then only plan to use the relief 1 season at a time through successive yearly LTIR use slowed.

Thisvis mo was to plan for long term signing replacements.

There should differentiation between players who might come back from injury or medical illness and those who are told by doctorsctgey can never pjay again or who themselves announce they feel too lethargic to ever play again to fill out contract obligations.

The Team shoukd be released from cap restraibtsvif players simply have had enough and want to retire early before their contract isvupto.

Basically you penalize a team for an unlucky situation not caused by them...it isvunfair .

Bad enough is LTIR relief but with restrictions applies for only 1 season..but if it stretches to 5,6,7 seasons..that is stupid ...the team shoukd be completely off the hook.

So if Hawks are forced to only get cap relief for Toews for 2 more seasons along with thecalready albatross LTIR for Seabrook and Shaw...thisvis reLky LTIR hell..

No wayvto build a stable long-term set of impact contracts.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
prepare for him never playing again..., if he does well then you will be pleasantly surprised.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Much harder to do now, with 31 teams, than it was back then, with 6-14 teams.
It's equally hard to win the Hart or Art Ross now vs then.

You just have to be the best in the world. It was just harder for other players to crack the roster of an NHL team, with there only being so few teams.

For instance, only the top 30 d-men in the world had roster spots (teams basically carried 5 d-men).

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
It's equally hard to win the Hart or Art Ross now vs then.

You just have to be the best in the world. It was just harder for other players to crack the roster of an NHL team, with there only being so few teams.

For instance, only the top 30 d-men in the world had roster spots (teams basically carried 5 d-men).
It's not equally as hard at all.

You are competing vs ~558 players for the Hart and Art Ross vs. ~108 -> ~250 when there were 6-14 teams. FAR less people played hockey back then, so that's irrelevant.

Reactions: ChiHawks10
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad