Confirmed with Link: Toews out indefinitely with illness

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
I can't remember the last time 19 made a play like that at both ends on the same shift. Maybe you have a better memory.
It's very possible Toews may never make a play like that again .. the real point to wax upon however is the fact that JT was a true champion and ultimate leader for the team through an awesome run the likes as which we may never see again.
As fans we can really have no idea why a player like Crosby can keep performing while a guy like Toews who arguably is on the same level as Sid seemingly can't. 3 cups, 2 western finals and multiple olympic runs all can add up on the body in ways we as a species are still coming to terms with especially the sheer volume of physical trauma the body takes game in and game out. I don't think our bodies were designed to withstand that kind of abuse over decades. Our modern day gladiators are handsomely paid but there can be a price, especially for the guys that play in the trenches. Regardless I think Toews sits all alone in my mind as the greatest Hawk ever. I wish him well and of course sincerely hope I can see him play again and perhaps even raise the chalice one more time! Albeit with a healthy body.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I can't recall a specific play like that but he had some dominating shifts in the bubble just up and down vs Nurse/Bear and the team.

Reactions: Muffinalt

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
It's very possible Toews may never make a play like that again .. the real point to wax upon however is the fact that JT was a true champion and ultimate leader for the team through an awesome run the likes as which we may never see again.
As fans we can really have no idea why a player like Crosby can keep performing while a guy like Toews who arguably is on the same level as Sid seemingly can't. 3 cups, 2 western finals and multiple olympic runs all can add up on the body in ways we as a species are still coming to terms with especially the sheer volume of physical trauma the body takes game in and game out. I don't think our bodies were designed to withstand that kind of abuse over decades. Our modern day gladiators are handsomely paid but there can be a price, especially for the guys that play in the trenches. Regardless I think Toews sits all alone in my mind as the greatest Hawk ever. I wish him well and of course sincerely hope I can see him play again and perhaps even raise the chalice one more time! Albeit with a healthy body.

Not the greatest ever but pretty dam good and it's difficult for me to believe that any Hawks fan would unappreciate his contribution to this franchise.

Reactions: crazyhawk

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
It's impossible for me to understand how any Hawk fan could have watched Toews' body of work and not see him as one of the very top Hawks of all time.

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009
Please stop Toews comparison to Crosby. There and will never been the same comparison. Heck The greatest Hawk is Patrick Kane

Reactions: vshun

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
And Crosby is the better player, but that doesn't diminish what Toews has meant to the Hawks.

I don’t disagree and would never argue otherwise, but I don’t think that was the original claim.

Toews is still one of my favorite hockey players ever, and I like him a lot more than Crosby.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
I don’t disagree and would never argue otherwise, but I don’t think that was the original claim.

Toews is still one of my favorite hockey players ever, and I like him a lot more than Crosby.
Understood, and agreed.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Please stop Toews comparison to Crosby. There and will never been the same comparison. Heck The greatest Hawk is Patrick Kane
I mentioned a little earlier I thought Toews to be the greatest Hawk ever .. I have to qualify that a little in that I also feel Kaner is right there with him . . almost. The question is how are you to compare the archetypes of Arthur and Lancelot? Both true heroes but very different in the attributes / gifts they possess. I think however you have to give Toews the slight nod in that the leader is always a little more valuable than the artist. Ultimately both were crucial ( not to mention Keith, Seabs, Hammer, Hossa, Crow! ). In regards to Crosby .. I see him as the better point producer for sure but Toews as the superior leader.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
f*** Crosby.

I don't need to go and say he's been the best player of the decade. He gains nothing from me recognizing his talent. So instead, I'mma just reiterate this: f*** Crosby and long live Captain Intangibles.

Reactions: Crow

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Toews is not the greatest Hawk ever. That's some major recency bias. Honestly, you'd be hard pressed to make an argument he's even the greatest Hawk of this generation. For me he's third behind Keith and Kane.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Toews is not the greatest Hawk ever. That's some major recency bias. Honestly, you'd be hard pressed to make an argument he's even the greatest Hawk of this generation. For me he's third behind Keith and Kane.
This was different in 2015 vs now. Toews was a more important forward to the team in the early part of his and Kane's career. Then, Kane took his game to another level. Still, Keith was probably better than Toews.

Kane taking his game to a top 5 forward in hockey level is what has and continues to keep the Hawks as a bubble team rather than being very bad.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
I was not comparing Crosby to Toews, just an example of a great 200' play which is what the Hawks need from 19 at 10M+ per annum.

We have not been getting that and I personally don't think we ever will again.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Well .. we all have our opinions and they're all valid.
Personally I would list the current generation greats as :
Toews
Kane & Keith
Seabs, Hammer & Hossa
Crow
All time as :
Toews & Stan
Kane, B.Hull, Keith, Tony, & Hall
Seabs, Larmer, Cheli & ... hmmmm who's it gonna be? Maybe JR ( loved this guy! )
I'm sure I forgot someone .. it is still early .. flame away brethren!

gach

Aug 2, 2018
I mentioned a little earlier I thought Toews to be the greatest Hawk ever .. I have to qualify that a little in that I also feel Kaner is right there with him . . almost. The question is how are you to compare the archetypes of Arthur and Lancelot? Both true heroes but very different in the attributes / gifts they possess. I think however you have to give Toews the slight nod in that the leader is always a little more valuable than the artist. Ultimately both were crucial ( not to mention Keith, Seabs, Hammer, Hossa, Crow! ). In regards to Crosby .. I see him as the better point producer for sure but Toews as the superior leader.
I know everyone can gave an opinion on who's the greatest Chihawk ever so my vote would still be Bobby Hull

Last edited:

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
I know everyone can gave an opinion on who's the greatest Chihawk every so my vote would still be Bobby Hull
Bobby was my favourite as a kid which will always remain in a special place for me.
Going all time I had to look at the 3 Cups and the leadership and sheer will that Toews exhibited to carry the team at times that put him to the top for me .. Stan the man very very close behind.

gach

Aug 2, 2018
Bobby was my favourite as a kid which will always remain in a special place for me.
Going all time I had to look at the 3 Cups and the leadership and sheer will that Toews exhibited to carry the team at times that put him to the top for me .. Stan the man very very close behind.
I understand your thinking and I base my opinion on Hull won 2 Hart, 3 Art Ross trophies, 7 years in a roll as the leagues leading goal scorer. If anyone beats that as a Blackhawk I'll change my mind

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I understand your thinking and I base my opinion on Hull won 2 Hart, 3 Art Ross trophies, 7 years in a roll as the leagues leading goal scorer. If anyone beats that as a Blackhawk I'll change my mind
Much harder to do now, with 31 teams, than it was back then, with 6-14 teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad