Toews...left his heart and his talent in Machu Picchu

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013
Toews is a great player and I'm very happy to have him as our 1C and captain, but 57 points isn't exactly what I was expecting when he was signed for a $10.5 M cap hit.

I'm on the Hawks board so I don't need to go into all of the other things he provides for this team outside of points but don't pretend like we don't all wish he was having a better year.

Yup, no doubt we were all expecting more but I'm confident he'll more than earn his contract.

It is funny that most of the complaining about the contracts before this season centered on Kane's ability to earn his giant salary, yet its been Toews not living up to the big money thus far.

Gooner

Feb 21, 2016
Munich
Toews is a great player and I'm very happy to have him as our 1C and captain, but 57 points isn't exactly what I was expecting when he was signed for a $10.5 M cap hit.

I'm on the Hawks board so I don't need to go into all of the other things he provides for this team outside of points but don't pretend like we don't all wish he was having a better year.
Of course. He's not just having a down year production wise either. But it's just that, a down year. Like Kopitar had last season. It happens. And he'll be judged on his playoff performance anyway, if he doesn't perform during the business end of the season and continues his underwhelming throughout next season, I might start getting a wee bit concerned about that contract. But as it stands, he's played a lot of hockey and is entitled to a rough season.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Yup, no doubt we were all expecting more but I'm confident he'll more than earn his contract.

It is funny that most of the complaining about the contracts before this season centered on Kane's ability to earn his giant salary, yet its been Toews not living up to the big money thus far.

Of course. He's not just having a down year production wise either. But it's just that, a down year. Like Kopitar had last season. It happens. And he'll be judged on his playoff performance anyway, if he doesn't perform during the business end of the season and continues his underwhelming throughout next season, I might start getting a wee bit concerned about that contract. But as it stands, he's played a lot of hockey and is entitled to a rough season.

Toews and Kane have played nearly identical minutes for their careers.

Gooner

Feb 21, 2016
Munich
Toews and Kane have played nearly identical minutes for their careers.
Toews plays harder minutes though, and a much more demanding game. More importantly Kane was injured for quite a while last year, which gave him an unwanted rest, but rest nonetheless.

RedBaronIndian

Jul 9, 2010
Toews plays harder minutes though, and a much more demanding game. More importantly Kane was injured for quite a while last year, which gave him an unwanted rest, but rest nonetheless.

Yup. Thats what most people seem to forget. Hawks have been through long playoff grind 3 years running. Look at other teams who have been deep, Kings missed playoffs the last year, Rangers fans talk about them being sellers this year. Toews himself admitted that he started the off-season training late. The guys who have been producing for the Hawks namely Kane, Panarin, Anisimov, Keith to a certain extent are all either new to the team or have had some rest due to injuries. With that said Toews has been starting to pick it up and if he is at his best when the play-offs start all will be forgiven.

Btw welcome, its nice to see a new face here.

Gooner

Feb 21, 2016
Munich
Yup. Thats what most people seem to forget. Hawks have been through long playoff grind 3 years running. Look at other teams who have been deep, Kings missed playoffs the last year, Rangers fans talk about them being sellers this year. Toews himself admitted that he started the off-season training late. The guys who have been producing for the Hawks namely Kane, Panarin, Anisimov, Keith to a certain extent are all either new to the team or have had some rest due to injuries. With that said Toews has been starting to pick it up and if he is at his best when the play-offs start all will be forgiven.

Btw welcome, its nice to see a new face here.
Thank you :)

Yep, the Ducks and Lightning started exceptionally slow as well, and their top guys were all nursing an injury of some kind. No one comes out of a deep playoff run without some bruises and minor injuries and it's very likely that Toews is simply suffering from the effects of three consecutive very demanding postseasons. Makes me think that we should have given him some rest though, Keith came back looking like himself, even though he's prone to coasting through some games, and Kane is having a season for the ages after a big injury. And Toews himself has been looking a lot better ever since the All Star break. But then again, with Kruger out our center depth took a hit, so Q had no real choice.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
With the injury, Kane has still played the same total number of minutes.

While Toews plays the apparently harder minutes, Kane's minutes as the #1 producer are hardly easy minutes.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
With the injury, Kane has still played the same total number of minutes.

While Toews plays the apparently harder minutes, Kane's minutes as the #1 producer are hardly easy minutes.

Harder minutes? Are people being serious? Do people not understand that Kane is the focus of teams defense?

What is a harder minute? (MM I am not talking about you because you did not bring up this concept).

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I thought "harder minutes" referred to PK time as well as the two different styles that each of these guys play. Kane being a perimeter, skilled player, gets to avoid a lot of physical abuse (when he isn't getting his collar bone smashed into the boards). Toews on the other hand, does a lot of cycling work behind and in front of the net and his body takes a lot more punishment than Kane's.

Gooner

Feb 21, 2016
Munich
I thought "harder minutes" referred to PK time as well as the two different styles that each of these guys play. Kane being a perimeter, skilled player, gets to avoid a lot of physical abuse (when he isn't getting his collar bone smashed into the boards). Toews on the other hand, does a lot of cycling work behind and in front of the net and his body takes a lot more punishment than Kane's.
That's pretty much what I meant, yeah.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Harder minutes? Are people being serious? Do people not understand that Kane is the focus of teams defense?

What is a harder minute? (MM I am not talking about you because you did not bring up this concept).

Huh? This is not even an argument. It is why some people are concerned about the length of Toew's contract. He plays a north-south game that entails plenty of contact (ie. hard minutes) game in and game out. Kane plays just as many minutes but it's usually on the perimeter - as well his great skill makes him a master at avoiding contact.

Honey Bear

Fan of Losing Teams
Feb 3, 2012
SF Bay Area/Boston
It'll be hilarious to see the main board when Toews starts racking up more pts once Hossa gets back and Stan trades for a #1 LW.

But then people will make up other excuses to discredit him.

Jeffrey Lebowski

The Chicago Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
Jul 31, 2009
North Side
Toews is great..we all know that. But ~60 points is unacceptable regardless of his prior accomplishments. He may never be a consistent ppg player, but this season has been unacceptable. He's the leader of our team, and part of that is being offensively competent, and he just hasn't been. A 1C doesn't score just 1/2 ppg roughly and get away with it. He needs to be better and this is the end of it.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Toews is great..we all know that. But ~60 points is unacceptable regardless of his prior accomplishments. He may never be a consistent ppg player, but this season has been unacceptable. He's the leader of our team, and part of that is being offensively competent, and he just hasn't been. A 1C doesn't score just 1/2 ppg roughly and get away with it. He needs to be better and this is the end of it.

And he has been better offensively after a tough first half. No need to worry about Toews. He will be better than ever at crunch time. Bank on it.

here come the

Mar 25, 2013
And he has been better offensively after a tough first half. No need to worry about Toews. He will be better than ever at crunch time. Bank on it.

19 points in 22 games since Jan 1 with a week of playing very sick apparently. He played really poorly to start the year, that's pretty much clearly over and he's playing at his regular .85 PPG.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad