Toews...left his heart and his talent in Machu Picchu

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
We do not need advanced stats to analyse that this team will have a far more difficult time winning if all that cap invested on 2/3 of line#1 is not producing enough offense for what they cost to the cap ..
AND so if Toews alone cannot elevate his production to compensate for Hossa's clear decline and Shaw not being the correct solution at LW there in a sniper's role ..then we are reduced to a 1 line team and maybe support from line 3

But if line #1 and #4 cannot produce enough we are brought back from elite team to just good at best...which may not be enough to win it all...

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013
Not the be all and end all, but a strong representation of play.

Blackhawks had strong possession stats in the playoffs last year.

They were dog**** through the bulk of the regular season save for Crawford, and short of a Kane injury affording them the opportunity for added depth in the lineup and a significant uptick in all-around performance midway through the Nashville series (not to mention another fortunate injury to Rozsival in the next round), they wouldn't have won the cup.

Could they flip the switch again? Sure. I believe the core is still capable of such a switch, are all the new faces? We'll see.

But as I said, through the season thus far the Los Angeles Kings have played significantly better hockey.

2nd best Corsi team=dog**** through the bulk of the regular season.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
I'm shocked this thread is still open.

Guys, we are in position to take the 2nd place in the Central and we are playing much better. Calm the hell down and enjoy what we have.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
2nd best Corsi team=dog**** through the bulk of the regular season.

Dog**** may have been over the top, but they were pretty damn bad from January through March, particularly in shot attempt suppression. They were basically playing like the Dallas Stars, only not scoring anywhere near as much and relying on Crawford playing out of his mind to cover up for them.

They cleaned things up a ton post trade-deadline, and in the playoffs though.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
You do know what SIGNIFICANTLY means, right? The difference in play between LA and Edmonton, is significant. The difference in play between LA and Chicago is....a ****ing toss-up. The difference is minuscule...and who is playing better is completely debatable.

Yeah, pretty much my point. Are they better? Maybe slightly...definitely nothing close to significant.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I'm seriously, honestly, 100% not trying to be a meatball or a contrarian or homer or anything. Even take the Hawks out of the equation. I'm still not sold on this Dallas team in a seven game playoff series. They're fun and exciting and having a hell of a season, but something about them just doesn't sit well with me once the second week of April rolls around and things tighten up and the lights gets brighter. I very well may be proven wrong, but they just do not scare me in a playoff series right now. They just feel like that shiny new toy everyone's looking for every season, and they fit that bill, but...

Don't underestimate what Sharp and Oduya bring to the room and on that bench as well. Benn has already been quoted as saying Sharp is alot more vocal now and eases the guys when they start to press or panic. They're going to be a big help for that team come playoff time. Add in a battle tested Niemi (Seguin also has seen his battles) and it wouldn't surprise me if they make some noise... or at least one up the Blues/Sharks and get out the first round. :laugh:

This will be the first year that Dallas Stars will get a sniff of being a contender. Sure they have a lot of fire power and potential as a team, but history tells us that they are still a ways from being a legit SC contender. There are always exceptions of course but, imo, the Stars have some pretty glaring deficiencies defensively that typically will get exposed at PO time.

stefa

Jul 10, 2013
In january 9 games 6+5 +10 I think the people in picchu have finally managed to send our captains heart back to Chicago.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Yes he has returned to "normal" ...I guess the effects of Machu Picchu have worn off...32 goals is his career average pace per 82 GP...as for assists it still probably stats below average pace because Hossa I do not think is going on any tear in goal scoring ...and Toews gets less time on the PP now with the Anisimov line on the #1 PP unit ..but still nice to see Toews and his line impacting games to far greater degree than the stench they put out in the first 35 games...their improved play has certainly impacted through our win streak ...

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010

Can anyone guess what that is? Does anyone see a trend?

I am NOT buying into the stupid ridiculous sophomoric "left his heart" crap. He always will have heart. But I see this trend as disturbing.

That is the career ppg for #19. I think this years .73 is 100% related to his not playing with 2 NHL grade wingers from the start. My guess is he ends the season higher than .73 ppg.

I also see in looking at his career stats something I never see anyone talking about.

Maybe I am missing something but I always hear about how #19 and all the hawks have high mileage from all the long playoffs. Well let's look at reality.

In 2011-2012 he played 59 games and a short playoff run
In 2012 -2013 he played in 47 games and ended with another Ring.

So at least 2 years for 19 were lower mileage, so that's nice.
Anyway, I see a trend in the wrong way in his points per game. I love the player, I don't mind his contract, but I wonder how his scoring will fare going forward. I don't see much upside from say .85 per game which is 70 points. Fiddy needs to understand a 70 point guy that does everything well in the room and on the ice and has won 3 Cups gets you 10.5M. I mean you are at the top of the mountain.

Anyway, I wanted to post this ppg trajectory and those 2 seasons where really he didn't play much. So that helps :).

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I had said earlier in the year that Toews will go on a ~10pts in 6 game run and we will stop questioning what is wrong with him. I thought it would happen before xmas, but turns out it took a little bit longer. Welcome back Toews! (9pts in last 6GP)

Keithsteeth

Nov 10, 2013
I'm guessing that Toews scoring is going to decrease a bit each year as Hossa ages until Hossa is replaced.

I think Hossa is still a great piece... but his days as a true 1st line player are certainly numbered. He's still a great 2-way player and I think he'll be able to transition to more of a 3rd line role sometime in the next 2 years where they can limit his minutes more.

He'd be a fantastic guy to line up with young offensively talented players. Who better than Hossa to show them how play a responsible 2-way game?

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
No doubt. I think you see that next year but we need at least ONE W to play with 19. You won't see Hossa off 19's right until something changes.

This deadline if we can get a 1LW, wow. I don't care what we have to give up, prospects picks.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
It is really good to see him producing again. He also looks less hesitant to battle for the puck.
I don't know what was wrong with him at the beginning of the year, but he is starting to look like himself again.
I just wish he wasn't going to the ASG. He needs that break

Keithsteeth

Nov 10, 2013
No doubt. I think you see that next year but we need at least ONE W to play with 19. You won't see Hossa off 19's right until something changes.

This deadline if we can get a 1LW, wow. I don't care what we have to give up, prospects picks.

I agree... I think we need a LW. I'm ok rolling with the D we have. Are we going to be thin? Sure, but we were thin last year too. With the cap you can't be deep everywhere and I think that unless we lose one of the top 3D we'll be ok (and it's not like we can sign anyone to change that anyways)

Last edited:

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I'm guessing that Toews scoring is going to decrease a bit each year as Hossa ages until Hossa is replaced.

I think Hossa is still a great piece... but his days as a true 1st line player are certainly numbered. He's still a great 2-way player and I think he'll be able to transition to more of a 3rd line role sometime in the next 2 years where they can limit his minutes more.

He'd be a fantastic guy to line up with young offensively talented players. Who better than Hossa to show them how play a responsible 2-way game?

Hossa should change sticks or something. His game is just fine other than his shot, and it usually involves him unable to elevate the puck. I find it difficult to fathom that it has anything to do with age. It is the legs that go first and we see no indication of that.
That said, Hossa has recently shown hints that he may go on another of his offensive streaks that we saw around this time last season. Go Hoss!

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

Can anyone guess what that is? Does anyone see a trend?

I am NOT buying into the stupid ridiculous sophomoric "left his heart" crap. He always will have heart. But I see this trend as disturbing.

That is the career ppg for #19. I think this years .73 is 100% related to his not playing with 2 NHL grade wingers from the start. My guess is he ends the season higher than .73 ppg.

I also see in looking at his career stats something I never see anyone talking about.

Maybe I am missing something but I always hear about how #19 and all the hawks have high mileage from all the long playoffs. Well let's look at reality.

In 2011-2012 he played 59 games and a short playoff run
In 2012 -2013 he played in 47 games and ended with another Ring.

So at least 2 years for 19 were lower mileage, so that's nice.
Anyway, I see a trend in the wrong way in his points per game. I love the player, I don't mind his contract, but I wonder how his scoring will fare going forward. I don't see much upside from say .85 per game which is 70 points. Fiddy needs to understand a 70 point guy that does everything well in the room and on the ice and has won 3 Cups gets you 10.5M. I mean you are at the top of the mountain.

Anyway, I wanted to post this ppg trajectory and those 2 seasons where really he didn't play much. So that helps :).

Remember:
* 2012-2013 was a condensed season ... and 20+ high intensity playoff games.
* 2013-2104 full regular season ... and close to 20 playoff games.
* 2014-2015 full regular season ... and 20+ high intensity playoff games.

Replace Saad with Shaw AND Hossa's shot deteriorating the last two years. Everyone is keying on him. He needs some help. Watch Toews on the power play with Kane and Panarin. He's far more dangerous. JMO.

There's no doubt, Toews started slow this year ... but I think there are legitimate reasons for it. I'd like to see Toews, Hossa, Keith, and Seabrook get some rest before the playoffs.

eliostar

May 28, 2008
Toronto
You know who has good ppg production , Joe Thornton , or the Sedins , maybe we should swap players . How anybody can doubt The Captain is beyond me.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
You know who has good ppg production , Joe Thornton , or the Sedins , maybe we should swap players . How anybody can doubt The Captain is beyond me.

Agree 100%, but it seems if he isn't producing 24/7 or this team isn't winning every game 6-0 there will be the fans that think there's a problem. Never understood that. This franchise knows what it's doing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad