Toews...left his heart and his talent in Machu Picchu

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Almost heaven, Machu Picchu, Andes Mountains, Amazon River.
Life is old there, older than the trees, younger than the mountains, blowing like a breeze.

Inca Trails, take me home to the place I belong.
Machu Picchu, mountain mamma, take me home, Inca Trails.

All my talent gather round her, miner's lady, stranger to Chicago.
Dark and dusty, painted on my chest, misty taste of moonshine, nothing in my heart.

RedBaronIndian

Jul 9, 2010
Yet another Toews is overrated thread on the main boards, where the usual suspects are taking digs at his Conn Smythe, his defensive play, his position as a first line center, well almost everything.

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
They can scream about intangibles and Toews being overrated all they want. Like it matters what some adolescents on a message board about a fringe sport think.

But I'd like to see more production from Toews. For the price tag he should also be able to score points along with his solid 200 foot game. If he can dominate the playoffs then the less than stellar regular season is forgiven, but if this is the new standard then I will not be happy. I realize that having deadweight on the LW and a declining Hossa on the right isn't helping Toews, but still.

stefa

Jul 10, 2013
Said in that thread ain't too worried about him. 20-25 pts in the poffs and another deep run. If he fails to deliver then might be little pissed and worried.

And in the end only thing that matters now is this :

94c6941edab32e2cf8f9755491b98db0.png

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
Said in that thread ain't too worried about him. 20-25 pts in the poffs and another deep run. If he fails to deliver then might be little pissed and worried.

And in the end only thing that matters now is this :

94c6941edab32e2cf8f9755491b98db0.png

Even that doesn't really matter. Making the playoffs is enough, doesn't matter if you're the best or last team to get in.

stefa

Jul 10, 2013
Point wasn't cathing the caps it was more like even it sometimes feels like all they do is play 30-40 minutes / game and generally just suck still 2nd place and quaranteed (well allmost) poffs coming. Some point it was a bubble team etc.

galaxytrash

Mar 24, 2008
Thailand
Almost heaven, Machu Picchu, Andes Mountains, Amazon River.
Life is old there, older than the trees, younger than the mountains, blowing like a breeze.

All my talent gather round her, miner's lady, stranger to Chicago.
Dark and dusty, painted on my chest, misty taste of moonshine, nothing in my heart.

well, the amazon is about nine hundred miles from machu picchu, but all in all it was a pretty good effort.:handclap:

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
And now Toews has finally joined the twitterverse. ..Surely,the END must be nigh! With tge extra distraction and pressure from his new followers (the report said it was over 12,000) to tweet something they would want to keep following....Surely this will be another drag on his performances (but still a lesser drag than geezer Hossa falling off the cliff at just 37 (just....because look at even more geezer Jagr who has no problem filling the net at his 7 years older age...so twitter is an extra burden on Toews that he does not need given the even bigger burden he has in not Getti g his usual assists quantity because Hossa is over the cliff in not being able to score even a decent number of goals for a supposedly top line RW).

Honey Bear

Fan of Losing Teams
Feb 3, 2012
SF Bay Area/Boston
The General board has some real *********** when it comes to Toews. I get that it doesn't help Toews' case when he's constantly labeled as the best player in the league by the media, but some of these guys think he's easily replaceable on this team.

My conclusion of their hate is that they're all jealous that they don't have him on their favorite team.

scarchelli

Aug 19, 2014
And now Toews has finally joined the twitterverse. ..Surely,the END must be nigh! With tge extra distraction and pressure from his new followers (the report said it was over 12,000) to tweet something they would want to keep following....Surely this will be another drag on his performances (but still a lesser drag than geezer Hossa falling off the cliff at just 37 (just....because look at even more geezer Jagr who has no problem filling the net at his 7 years older age...so twitter is an extra burden on Toews that he does not need given the even bigger burden he has in not Getti g his usual assists quantity because Hossa is over the cliff in not being able to score even a decent number of goals for a supposedly top line RW).

Face it, if you were a panthers fan, you would hate on jagr. And if you seriously think his followers affect his play as a PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE...

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

Here's your chance Fiddy. Please tweet Toews where to find his heart.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
The General board has some real *********** when it comes to Toews. I get that it doesn't help Toews' case when he's constantly labeled as the best player in the league by the media, but some of these guys think he's easily replaceable on this team.

My conclusion of their hate is that they're all jealous that they don't have him on their favorite team.

The main board thinks every Hawk is overrated. If it's Toews this week, it's Kane, Keith, Seabs, Hjarlmasson, Crawford, Hossa, etc. the next week. I'm amazed the Hawks have won 3 Cups with so many overrated players. The non core players must incredibly underrated.

I don't think I'm welcomed in Ottawa and Sweden anymore.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
The main board thinks every Hawk is overrated. If it's Toews this week, it's Kane, Keith, Seabs, Hjarlmasson, Crawford, Hossa, etc. the next week. I'm amazed the Hawks have won 3 Cups with so many overrated players. The non core players must incredibly underrated.

I don't think I'm welcomed in Ottawa and Sweden anymore.

And in the next post it's how stacked the Hawks are.

Reality is somewhere in between... bunch of good to excellent players working hard in the system, knowing how to win, with excellent leadership at the top.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Every realistic Hawks fan would agree that Toews had a rough start to the year. But to say he's vastly overrated and trending down is silly. They can't comprehend that playing 1 compressed season + 2 full regular season + 70 playoff games (in 3 seasons) ... AND carrying an aging Hossa and a 3LW are not easy. We all know Toews always shows up in the biggest game at the biggest moment.

The $10.5mn does sound overvalued now ... but wait a couple of years when the other top players catch and surpass it.

Honey Bear

Fan of Losing Teams
Feb 3, 2012
SF Bay Area/Boston
Every realistic Hawks fan would agree that Toews had a rough start to the year. But to say he's vastly overrated and trending down is silly. They can't comprehend that playing 1 compressed season + 2 full regular season + 70 playoff games (in 3 seasons) ... AND carrying an aging Hossa and a 3LW are not easy. We all know Toews always shows up in the biggest game at the biggest moment.

The $10.5mn does sound overvalued now ... but wait a couple of years when the other top players catch and surpass it.

Exactly. There will be a point where the cap goes up sooner or later. The contract won't even look as bad then. I agree it looks bad now, but regardless of the contract, some of those people would trash him anyway even if he was making 5 million.

sharkhawk

Jun 1, 2013
Aurora, IL
Exactly. There will be a point where the cap goes up sooner or later. The contract won't even look as bad then. I agree it looks bad now, but regardless of the contract, some of those people would trash him anyway even if he was making 5 million.

Hell, people think Steven Stamkos will get 11 or 12 million this summer, he has 2 more points than Toews this year, and the only thing he is good at is scoring.

stefa

Jul 10, 2013
Wasn't Keith's contract 'bad' when he signed it? Not saying that Toews's contract is anywhere nearly as good at any point but yeah in a couple of seasons there's like 10 players (just guessing) with similar deals.

Gooner

Feb 21, 2016
Munich
That Toews thread on the mainboard really is a sight to behold, you have posters arguing that he's a worse player than Ryan O'Reilly. Toews. A guy that is universally praised by other players, coaches and GMs as one of the best players in the league, a guy that has proven time and time again that he is among the very best at what he does and can back it up with three cups. But hey, team achievement and he doesn't score enough points, borderline Top 20 Center I suppose.

G0AT

Jun 1, 2014
Chicago
That Toews thread on the mainboard really is a sight to behold, you have posters arguing that he's a worse player than Ryan O'Reilly. Toews. A guy that is universally praised by other players, coaches and GMs as one of the best players in the league, a guy that has proven time and time again that he is among the very best at what he does and can back it up with three cups. But hey, team achievement and he doesn't score enough points, borderline Top 20 Center I suppose.

It is very silly indeed. Don't let it get to you though. Its always 3-4 posters who are Sharks/Ducks/Pens/Bruins fans who create a false narrative for other 13 year old posters to clutch onto. Most are jealous of the Hawks success and look to discredit it as much as possible.

Anyone who knows hockey, knows he's one of the best players in the game.

Gooner

Feb 21, 2016
Munich
It is very silly indeed. Don't let it get to you though. Its always 3-4 posters who are Sharks/Ducks/Pens/Bruins fans who create a false narrative for other 13 year old posters to clutch onto. Most are jealous of the Hawks success and look to discredit it as much as possible.

Anyone who knows hockey, knows he's one of the best players in the game.
It's so frustrating though :laugh: The fact that they don't seem to acknowledge anything you say that is. Oh well, guess I'll just have another beer and finally go to bed, it's late here and I've spent much of my night arguing about Toews with opposition fans :laugh:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Toews is a great player and I'm very happy to have him as our 1C and captain, but 57 points isn't exactly what I was expecting when he was signed for a $10.5 M cap hit.

I'm on the Hawks board so I don't need to go into all of the other things he provides for this team outside of points but don't pretend like we don't all wish he was having a better year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad