Prospect Info: Timothy Liljegren - AHL Edition

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I wonder if, since Rogle already said they weren't expecting him back, if the Leafs might have asked them to trade Liljegren's rights?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I wonder if, since Rogle already said they weren't expecting him back, if the Leafs might have asked them to trade Liljegren's rights?

why would the leafs really be worried though? they are in the SHL I don't think they are a shit show franchise like MODO became in Nylander's time. there isn't really a reason for the leafs to be involved in trades like this when the current team isn't a bad place for him. If they are that worried keep him on the marlies then

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
why would the leafs really be worried though? they are in the SHL I don't think they are a **** show franchise like MODO became in Nylander's time. there isn't really a reason for the leafs to be involved in trades like this when the current team isn't a bad place for him. If they are that worried keep him on the marlies then
Rogle's trash.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Rogle's trash.

so keep him on the marlies then. Why are the leafs getting involved in another leagues trades. I hope Rogle refuses to trade him, he plays for them or the leafs deal with him (probably have to trade a dman off the marlies). Rogle would be crazy to help another team with a player like liljegren if he develops even a little bit he could end up causing Rogle trouble with relegation

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
so keep him on the marlies then. Why are the leafs getting involved in another leagues trades. I hope Rogle refuses to trade him, he plays for them or the leafs deal with him (probably have to trade a dman off the marlies). Rogle would be crazy to help another team with a player like liljegren if he develops even a little bit he could end up causing Rogle trouble with relegation

Wonder if Liljegren would prefer to play in Sweden vs. the AHL, not the prime consideration but doesn't hurt to keep your best prospects happy if management thought that the SHL team he was going to was a good development environment.

Rogle might be on board too, right now they've lost him for nothing where another franchise might give them something if he was being assigned back to the SHL under a trade scenario, so might not be a strong arm type move

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Wonder if Liljegren would prefer to play in Sweden vs. the AHL, not the prime consideration but doesn't hurt to keep your best prospects happy if management thought that the SHL team he was going to was a good development environment.

Rogle might be on board too, right now they've lost him for nothing where another franchise might give them something if he was being assigned back to the SHL under a trade scenario, so might not be a strong arm type move

definitely possible. personally I hope he goes to the marlies, I think getting him onto the NA ice ASAP will help him transition quicker and selfishly I wanna watch the kid too

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
definitely possible. personally I hope he goes to the marlies, I think getting him onto the NA ice ASAP will help him transition quicker and selfishly I wanna watch the kid too

agree, I'd rather he was on North American ice and down the street from the big club. The Marlies are a legitimate draw if Liljegren/Kapanen/Johnsson/Brooks/Timashov/Bracco/Dermott/Nielsen are there

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Big timmy should play on the marlies. Don't see the appeal of the SHL for him. Come here, battle against dermott for ice and come back in next year and get in. AHL basically is a slower NHL, so it will help much more with his decision making. He just needs to settle down a bit and make better decisions. He'll turn into a real gem for us either way.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

I'm not sure I agree.

Rogle's options in this case would be to transfer him to another club and receive an appropriate amount of cash for him or simply lose him for nothing if the Leafs decide to keep him in NA rather than sending him back to Rogle.

Seems pretty simple to me.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
why would the leafs really be worried though? they are in the SHL I don't think they are a **** show franchise like MODO became in Nylander's time. there isn't really a reason for the leafs to be involved in trades like this when the current team isn't a bad place for him. If they are that worried keep him on the marlies then

Current Rogle makes 2014-15 MODO look like an amazing team in comparison.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
By the same token how does he get ice time on a good shl team? Marlies are the best option for his development

AHL is a better league and we are a good team there. How does it makes sense it is easier to get on the Marlies than a good SHL team? I know not everyone agrees, I have heard guys swear up and down the SHL is better but most NHL execs think its N, K, A then S

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
AHL is a better league and we are a good team there. How does it makes sense it is easier to get on the Marlies than a good SHL team? I know not everyone agrees, I have heard guys swear up and down the SHL is better but most NHL execs think its N, K, A then S

I don't care which league is better (personally, I feel the SHL is better, but that doesn't matter) - one league is a development first league and the other is not (they have lower leagues for that). One league dresses 7D and the other 6D. In one league Karlsson got 10 points in 45 games due to lack of ice time as a young D. The following year in the other league he had 11 points in 12 games. The team who owns Liljegren's rights in the one league has already shown that when facing relegation they will not be playing their young D. And as bad as they were last year, they on a whole different level of terrible this year.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Currently the Leafs are involved in deciding what is best for him. Maybe they feel the SHL is the best place, but not in Rogle.... So, they have two choices if Rogle is not where they want him to continue his development... Marlies, or arrange a trade... so why does Rogle do this... because they get something for Lilly... if he plays in the AHL... they get nothing... if they trade him within the SHL, they at least get an asset back, to help their own team.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
or arrange a trade... so why does Rogle do this... because they get something for Lilly... if he plays in the AHL... they get nothing... if they trade him within the SHL, they at least get an asset back, to help their own team.

I was under the impression that there is no such thing as trades in the SHL.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

whatever league is better doesn't matter, A good SHL team has no responsibility to play Liljegren where as the leafs can guarantee Liljegren can play on the marlies if that's where they want him. Can move a dman (like valiev who plays right side) or he can take 40-50 games to ease him into the AHL with Valiev or LoVerde the 3 of them rotating

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
I can't understand what the debate might be, short of Timmy being homesick and wanting to play in the SHL for that reason.
The Marlies can play him lots of great minutes, team him with Travis, watch over his development, give him time on smaller ice, and get him used to the Leafs systems.
Or he can go play for a complete tire fire in the SHL.
I find the debate very puzzling.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
whatever league is better doesn't matter, A good SHL team has no responsibility to play Liljegren where as the leafs can guarantee Liljegren can play on the marlies if that's where they want him. Can move a dman (like valiev who plays right side) or he can take 40-50 games to ease him into the AHL with Valiev or LoVerde the 3 of them rotating

If he is the talent we think he is playing time should not be an issue. I am far from an expert on the SHL but I do think the Leafs are able to get assurances from any team that wants him since they are basically doing them a favor by keeping him in that league.

In ways I would rather he was on the Marlies just so we could watch him more but I also worry with all the injuries and cheap shots we have been seeing down there against high talent prospects.

Either way I am confident we will put him in the best spot.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I can't understand what the debate might be, short of Timmy being homesick and wanting to play in the SHL for that reason.
The Marlies can play him lots of great minutes, team him with Travis, watch over his development, give him time on smaller ice, and get him used to the Leafs systems.
Or he can go play for a complete tire fire in the SHL.
I find the debate very puzzling.

The main concerns would be his comfort as a young player, maybe keeping him away from the big city distractions of being a semi celeb in Toronto, and maybe concerns he is not yet strong enough for the A. But it looks like Marlies so that is all moot.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
If he is the talent we think he is playing time should not be an issue. I am far from an expert on the SHL but I do think the Leafs are able to get assurances from any team that wants him since they are basically doing them a favor by keeping him in that league.

In ways I would rather he was on the Marlies just so we could watch him more but I also worry with all the injuries and cheap shots we have been seeing down there against high talent prospects.

Either way I am confident we will put him in the best spot.

I think (cant remember for sure) MODO actually started to cut Nylander's ice time before he left, There far and away best player but he started to lose ice time, again its a vague memory could be thinking of someone else. Teams will do anything they think is best to avoid relegation (Rogle) or win a championship (whichever team that may be) a developing a 18 yr old dman may not be for the best.

A high octane offensive dman who isn't bad defensively but has some work to do, may not appeal to a team gunning for a championship only to have him leave after one season anyway.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I think (cant remember for sure) MODO actually started to cut Nylander's ice time before he left, There far and away best player but he started to lose ice time, again its a vague memory could be thinking of someone else. Teams will do anything they think is best to avoid relegation (Rogle) or win a championship (whichever team that may be) a developing a 18 yr old dman may not be for the best.

A high octane offensive dman who isn't bad defensively but has some work to do, may not appeal to a team gunning for a championship only to have him leave after one season anyway.
Well then hopefully if he does go back to Sweden Lou gets guarantees on ice time. Not worth the risk otherwise.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Well then hopefully if he does go back to Sweden Lou gets guarantees on ice time. Not worth the risk otherwise.

sure, but what will make the team follow through with this? if they decide he needs a lesser role, not sure they would care if the leafs move him back to NA. So instead of keeping him here we took the word of a team who lets say decided he needs less time now we have to uproot Liljegren to the marlies and make moves there accordingly. Just make the marlies move (if any are needed) and keep him here its not worth any risk for liljegren to not get development time.

I don't think Nylander's plan was to play half a season there then come back, the team became a shit show so the leafs decided to move him back. Don't make the same mistake with Liljegren, just keep him here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad