Prospect Info: Timothy Liljegren - AHL Edition

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
sure, but what will make the team follow through with this? if they decide he needs a lesser role, not sure they would care if the leafs move him back to NA. So instead of keeping him here we took the word of a team who lets say decided he needs less time now we have to uproot Liljegren to the marlies and make moves there accordingly. Just make the marlies move (if any are needed) and keep him here its not worth any risk for liljegren to not get development time.

I don't think Nylander's plan was to play half a season there then come back, the team became a **** show so the leafs decided to move him back. Don't make the same mistake with Liljegren, just keep him here
Yes your right they could change his role but then we could correct it by calling him back so that does not seem like a huge risk to me. Not only that, these relations are professional and the hockey world is small. I find it unlikely an SHL GM is going to lie to Lou to get use out of Timmy for a couple months, it would ensure that in the future anyone we drafted on their team would automatically never come back, which would be incredibly short sighted, especially with out strong ties to Sweden. Lol, we could even trade for guys specifically to screw them over.

TBH without the mono thing I feel pretty confident Timmy can be a top player in that league this year.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Yes your right they could change his role but then we could correct it by calling him back so that does not seem like a huge risk to me. Not only that, these relations are professional and the hockey world is small. I find it unlikely an SHL GM is going to lie to Lou to get use out of Timmy for a couple months, it would ensure that in the future anyone we drafted on their team would automatically never come back, which would be incredibly short sighted, especially with out strong ties to Sweden.

its not a huge risk but it would mean 2+ teams for the kid again in one season. SHL GM doesn't have to lie, but if the SHL coach finds something he doesn't like or maybe a player he likes more he will do what he thinks is best for the team. We have the marlies which is there to develop leafs, we can develop him any way we like here don't have to worry about non NHL teams playing our young asset low mins, out of position whatever. Where ever he plays on the marlies its because the leafs want to see him in that position (ie Top pair, Bottom pair, PP, PK)

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
its not a huge risk but it would mean 2+ teams for the kid again in one season. SHL GM doesn't have to lie, but if the SHL coach finds something he doesn't like or maybe a player he likes more he will do what he thinks is best for the team. We have the marlies which is there to develop leafs, we can develop him any way we like here don't have to worry about non NHL teams playing our young asset low mins, out of position whatever. Where ever he plays on the marlies its because the leafs want to see him in that position (ie Top pair, Bottom pair, PP, PK)
Hard to argue that on the Marlies we have more control, the question is does management think he is ready for the A ?(physically or just maturity wise). That is the only reason I can see for them to send him back.

I see a lot of merit in pairing him with Dermott on the top unit but I'm not in a position to judge what league is best for him at this point.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Hard to argue that on the Marlies we have more control, the question is does management think he is ready for the A ?(physically or just maturity wise). That is the only reason I can see for them to send him back.

I see a lot of merit in pairing him with Dermott on the top unit but I'm not in a position to judge what league is best for him at this point.
Totally agree, if they firmly thought he should be in the AHL, it would already be a done deal. Fact there is this debate about where he ends up speaks to his development, how close they feel he is. Personally, I'd love to see him in the A, but obviously there is some internal debate about what is best. It is really clear to me though, they realize he has things to work on, he isn't "close". That doesn't concern me in the least, he will be a top 4 D one day.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Totally agree, if they firmly thought he should be in the AHL, it would already be a done deal. Fact there is this debate about where he ends up speaks to his development, how close they feel he is. Personally, I'd love to see him in the A, but obviously there is some internal debate about what is best. It is really clear to me though, they realize he has things to work on, he isn't "close". That doesn't concern me in the least, he will be a top 4 D one day.

Yep, needs to get stronger and round out his D, both things any player can improve. You cannot teach his offensive talent though. Still very thrilled we got this pick. My best friend is an Oilers fan and we always watch the draft together. I've guessed our first rounder correctly every year for the past 5 except for the Gauthier pick (wanted Hanifin but knew we would take Marner if Strome did not fall, glad to be wrong on that one). I said we were getting Timmy out of delusional faith though, did not really believe he would still be there.

My buddy was like "How could you have guessed that pick?" and I had to admit it was just wishful thinking.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Yep, needs to get stronger and round out his D, both things any player can improve. You cannot teach his offensive talent though. Still very thrilled we got this pick. My best friend is an Oilers fan and we always watch the draft together. I've guessed our first rounder correctly every year for the past 5 except for the Gauthier pick (wanted Hanifin but knew we would take Marner if Strome did not fall, glad to be wrong on that one). I said we were getting Timmy out of delusional faith though, did not really believe he would still be there.

My buddy was like "How could you have guessed that pick?" and I had to admit it was just wishful thinking.
Love the pick. Can't believe we got that kind of pure talent where we drafted.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

or like almost everything management have done so far, They made their decision days ago and didn't announce it to the world. Like it just came out last year that they were using LTIR the whole season. You never know with this group.

Top 4 D i think we can all agree on that,

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Glad to see he'll be suiting up for the Marlies this season. Really wasn't that difficult of a choice given his other options (a terrible Rogle team, or a step down to a lesser league with Niagra).

Here's hoping he and Dermott can build some great chemistry together.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Love the pick. Can't believe we got that kind of pure talent where we drafted.

Interesting that their were six defensemen picked in a row. 13 to 18. Liljedren was # 17. With the apparent value of RHD, I thought he would he have been picked before some of the other LHD. Watching the draft, there certainly was drama watching the Leafs pick for apparently the guy they wanted.
Excellent chance that Lijedren will play in the World Juniors and maybe even in the Olympics.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Interesting that their were six defensemen picked in a row. 13 to 18. Liljedren was # 17. With the apparent value of RHD, I thought he would he have been picked before some of the other LHD. Watching the draft, there certainly was drama watching the Leafs pick for apparently the guy they wanted.
Excellent chance that Lijedren will play in the World Juniors and maybe even in the Olympics.

Sweden's world junior team may be hard to make on D this year. Dahlin, Liljegren and Brannstom seem to play a little similar and a coach may not want 3 like that. Although 1 on each pair would be pretty nice luxury to have or even Brannstrom-Liljegren pair

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Good point Walshy7. Even if Timmy plays a full season with the Marlies...and even if it's only 60 games, IMO he is better working and training in the Leaf system than going back to the SHL. People sometimes forget he's still a junior and he was picked 17th overall for a reason. He's not near NHL ready.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Sweden's world junior team may be hard to make on D this year. Dahlin, Liljegren and Brannstom seem to play a little similar and a coach may not want 3 like that. Although 1 on each pair would be pretty nice luxury to have or even Brannstrom-Liljegren pair
Don't forget Boqvist, another top 3 prospect for 2018. But Liljegren will make it, in fact I predict he will be top 2 for icetime on that stacked D-core.

Reactions: AppsSyl

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
anyone know what his family status is, I know he is close to him Mother, but does he have siblings, is his father around. I'm just wondering if his mother will be coming to T.O, I would assume, since they seem to be extremely close. just don't know how likely it is if he has a large family

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
anyone know what his family status is, I know he is close to him Mother, but does he have siblings, is his father around. I'm just wondering if his mother will be coming to T.O, I would assume, since they seem to be extremely close. just don't know how likely it is if he has a large family

She said at the time of the draft that it had been discussed and as Timothy is an adult now, she will not be making the move. A close family often means that the child is self-confident enough to want to make their own way at 18.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
One of the benefits of the Marlies been in a same city as the it's parent the Leafs, is that minor leaguers are "looked after". If the AHL was in an isolated small town, a kid might feel....isolated/lonely. He'll have lots of support in Toronto. The Nylander family lives in T.O.. Rosen, Borgman will be around, maybe even on same team. Lots to do in a big city....without getting yourself in trouble.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Great move for Liljegren. Glad they've (officially) moved him to the AHL instead of his sinking ship of a team in the SHL.

Hopefully he gets top-4 minutes and a long leash for the first month of play. There will be an adjustment period with him being a rookie in a new league with a smaller ice surface than he's used to. Needs to be given the opportunity to play through it.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I wonder what stopped all those other teams from picking him?
Hmmmm?

hqdefault.jpg

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

i want him under our control and coaching (0 room for debate on that) IMO he is the key addition to our cup aspirations

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->