Post-Game Talk: #TimelySaves (Jets lose 4-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Guys, Laine wasn't benched. He was demoted to the 4th line, which rarely plays. There's a difference in the message it sends, and I fully support that message being sent to him right now

Have to agree. With the kids it is a teaching moment and Mau has done it to other young guys. The fact he should also do it to vets sometimes but won't, is another issue. It appears Mau thinks the vets are what they are. The kids can still be taught. The double standard doesn't look good. I expect the kids resent it which is not healthy.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Do you just decide to rail against me for using absolutes or do you do it with everyone because there is an a ton of absolute language language about a variety of subjects on this board and quite a few times is false.

I suggest you really read this thread from the beginning like I did this morning. Perhaps you will understand my point better.

I have read it, there are some good posts and some not so good posts, I don't lump the whole board together and accuse it of creating false narratives just because I disagree with some of them. There is disenchantment with the team right now, losing sucks, probably even moreso when you likely should have won. The same **** keeps happening to this team over and over again and very little changes, it's hard to blame people for venting some frustration over it and wanting something, anything to be done.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
If that is what he did I would've benched him for the remainder of the game.....how many goals has he been responsible for???....you don't see the goalie pointing at him when he gives the puck up at his blueline when he is up 5 men to 3 and he is the last man back and the goalie bails him out.

I love Laine. He's young and will make mistakes, thats fine. He'll learn. I think he''s learned from this. He's a huge part of our future.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
If that is what he did I would've benched him for the remainder of the game.....how many goals has he been responsible for???....you don't see the goalie pointing at him when he gives the puck up at his blueline when he is up 5 men to 3 and he is the last man back and the goalie bails him out.

Bah, I've seen Pav send more than a few accusing glares at his teammates for the other team scoring goals on him over the years.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Whatever Laine did was not as dumb as Buff's stick shooting episode last night. That was one of the dumbest things ive seen on an NHL rink.

Yup, that was terrible.

But what are you going to do? Give Stu or Postma Buff's ice time? I'm not saying that as a defence of Maurice necessarily, I just don't know what you do with our defensive depth. If we had Myers you could maybe bench Buff for a period.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
The booing over Buff's stick gaffe penalty last night was embarrassing, learn the rules people. if you want to boo, boo Buff for being such a moron.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Yup, that was terrible.

But what are you going to do? Give Stu or Postma Buff's ice time? I'm not saying that as a defence of Maurice necessarily, I just don't know what you do with our defensive depth. If we had Myers you could maybe bench Buff for a period.

Not playing Laine causes our chances of winning to go down.

Not playing buff causes our chances of winning to go down.

So yeah, if you wanna send a message, play postma more

Villert

Dec 29, 2009
Bah, I've seen Pav send more than a few accusing glares at his teammates for the other team scoring goals on him over the years.

This 10Ducky10 quoting Ducky10 in conversation is beginning to befuddle me. :laugh:

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada

There's a huge difference in proportionality, however, between how much not playing Laine impacts our chances of winning versus how much not playing Buff does.

JohnnyJet

Feb 7, 2017
Have to agree. With the kids it is a teaching moment and Mau has done it to other young guys. The fact he should also do it to vets sometimes but won't, is another issue. It appears Mau thinks the vets are what they are. The kids can still be taught. The double standard doesn't look good. I expect the kids resent it which is not healthy.

Yeah I think you're giving Mo too much credit there, the reason he doesn't do the same to the vets is because they clearly run the dressing room and he is scared to do so, nothing more than that.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

Precisely my point. Postma is a step down, but no worse than taking time away from your star point-getters (Ehlers, Laine) when you really need a goal in order to tie or win a game.

Even better would be putting Morrissey or someone else out there a lot more on the PK because that is not a good use of Buff's time anyway. Lots of ways to cut into Buff's time without terribly serious consequences.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Coming from the same person who claims we can't sit Buff for any stretch because who are we going to replace him with - Postma?

Do you realize how hypocritical that is. On one hand you'll be all for sitting your top scorer for two periods in a close game because the short-term pain is worth the long-term gain, but then when it comes to vets like Buff that are so badly in need of some tough love -- or no, he's too important out there to ever consider sitting him for a few shifts.

I would be worried what the reaction would be to sitting a team leader like Buff would be. Would he become a locker room cancer? Would it hasten the coach's demise? Would it be better served discussing his play with him during practice?

Yeah, it is hypocritical and I think you need a tough coach to kick Buff's butt, much like Buff was treated by Team USA.

I don't have a good answer for you. Curious how others would handle Buff when he's off his A game.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Man, people are seriously going on about Laine raising his arm a bit after the other team scored? There was no way that was an overt gesture at Pav. He just as easily could have been going oh **** I screwed up and it ended up in our net. It's not as if he skated up to Pav and was like what the **** was that.

Hell, he would have been justified to do that though, that was a terrible goal. Pav lost us the game, I'd be pissed at him too.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Why does our PP start with Lowry and Wheeler on it? It seems we have much better options.

Lowry is pretty good at generating shots from the good scoring locations close to the net. That hasn't necessarily been reflected in his goal totals, but at lest of the surface he looks like a guy who could be effective in that netfront role on the powerplay. Wheeler is there because he's the Jets best and most consistent player.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Lowry is pretty good at generating shots from the good scoring locations close to the net. That hasn't necessarily been reflected in his goal totals, but at lest of the surface he looks like a guy who could be effective in that netfront role on the powerplay. Wheeler is there because he's the Jets best and most consistent player.

Somewhat agree about Lowry but Wheeler is in the wrong spot on the PP. He is not the best oand most consistent Jet. Maybe best point producer but Scheif could be argued for that. Little and Trouba have been our best players all over the ice. Not just on part of it.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I've never heard of that rule. Never seen it happen. Somewhat obscure rule.

The sad part is Buff not knowing the rule. How do you play this long in the league and not know that you can't direct a stick that's on the ice? There's only so much stupid that any one person should be blessed with, and Buff has more than his fair share. :rant:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad