Post-Game Talk: #TimelySaves (Jets lose 4-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015
- We had numbers back with Laine's turn over. Maybe not the best of plays for him, but it wasn't terrible... Pav3l3c should of made the save.
- Why isn't Wheeler in front of the net on the PP? Why Lowry?

UUUGGGHHHH <-- Me this morning after remembering how ****** we are....

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Ralph going crazy in defense of Pavs on the post-game show. He hates that the caller is referencing the numbers. He says that Wheeler said they are "confident" in front of Pavs - what's the captain supposed to say. Ralph is a freakin' idiot, and he's being a complete jerk to the caller, who had good points.

LOL I hear this last night, was just awful. Lost a lot of respect for RR. What a bonehead.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
You seriously have to wonder. If I was a professional hockey player in my prime, working my ass off game in and game out, soon to be reaching the end of my contract and entering my downside years, would I want to continue to play for an organization who absolutely refuses to fix easily fixable things?

No, I wouldn't. I would want to go play where the team and it's organization wants to win. Where they fix and tweak everything in order to win.

I feel bad for them actually. :(

Where this is really going to bite us soon isn't so much wth vets or UFAs that won't sign with us its in retention of our young guns. Don't you think Trouba's unwillingness to sign with us had a heck of a lot to do with the Stu treatment he was continuously exposed to the last couple years. And no PP time when he has always been a key PP contributor?

Maybe that has changed now somewhat as he has finally been given more appropriate assignments, but how do you think feels about the Jets going forward, seeing the lack of attention to easy to fix details by our GM. And seeing all the ridiculous roster decisions, foreward & defensive schemes, PP & PK roster decisions, etc, etc, coming from our coaches?

And who is next among our young guns to express that frustration when they go to sign their next contract?? That's where the lack of action & attention to detail will really come back to haunt us.

Randal61

Jan 12, 2014
- We had numbers back with Laine's turn over. Maybe not the best of plays for him, but it wasn't terrible... Pav3l3c should of made the save.
- Why isn't Wheeler in front of the net on the PP? Why Lowry?

UUUGGGHHHH <-- Me this morning after remembering how ****** we are....

Sorry, but that was a horrible giveaway.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
The worst part is if Pavs doesn't get hurt would Maurice have pulled him? I doubt it. Whereas there's a 100% chance Hellebuyck would've been pulled.

Oh well, when you've been pulled 7 times already, why not continue the trend. Its not as if he's dealing with a potential future star, so who cares if we might be shattering his confidence by having him on a short string and quickly anointing 3 goal, sub .900, Pavs as his starter. Who cares -- everyone knows Mo has a double standard for the rest of his players; may as well carry that forward to his goalies. Vets are always better

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Where this is really going to bite us soon isn't so much wth vets or UFAs that won't sign with us its in retention of our young guns. Don't you think Trouba's unwillingness to sign with us had a heck of a lot to do with the Stu treatment he was continuously exposed to the last couple years. And no PP time when he has always been a key PP contributor?

I won't blame anyone who wants to walk if things continue like they are for a longer time.

Villert

Dec 29, 2009
Sorry, but that was a horrible giveaway.

Not really. I mean, it was - but had they not scored on it people would have forgotten about it and dismissed it by the next shift just as people are wont to do with the majority of giveaways.

It's like suspending or ejecting a player solely because an injury was suffered. It shouldn't really matter whether your two-hander to the wrist caused an injury or not, the act itself is what should be measured.

I'm not saying Laine doesn't deserve discipline for the intercepted pass - it's just silly to roast him for it and not the next guy who does the same thing but is more fortunate when the puck hits the post.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Oh well, when you've been pulled 7 times already, why not continue the trend. Its not as if he's dealing with a potential future star, so who cares if we might be shattering his confidence by having him on a short string and quickly anointing 3 goal, sub .900, Pavs as his starter. Who cares -- everyone knows Mo has a double standard for the rest of his players; may as well carry that forward to his goalies. Vets are always better

It blows my mind that even including the 2 games where he gave up 6 goals on 13 shots, Hellebuyck still has a .908 Sv% over his last 8 games. 15 goals given up. Pavelec over his last 8 is at .888 with 26 goals given up

JBM

Feb 1, 2017
Canada
Why does our PP start with Lowry and Wheeler on it? It seems we have much better options.

It drives me nuts everytime I see this..

PM has lost his mind.

If it were me, I like

Ehlers - Scheif - Laine

Trouba - Enstrom

Then

MP - Little - Wheeler (in front)

Buff and Morrisey.

Seems pretty straightforward to me but I sure as hell am not an NHL coach :shakehead

hurricanedave

Apr 19, 2012
The Laine demotion was a classic flustered coach throwing stuff at the wall. It amazes me that people buy in to these ridiculous tropes about coaching. "Teach the young guy a lesson", riiiiight.

Do you think for a second that stupid micromanaging moves like that make any difference in our probability of winning? Meanwhile, we start the career 0.906 goalie because he provides "timely saves".

Maurice is such a clown.

I am pretty on board with this, I didn't expect this team to be very competitive this year but some of these decisions are ridiculous. The return of Pavs, his horrible play, and the decision to keep playing him are absolutely ridiculous. I honestly have no idea what they're thinking.

Why is this happening? Seriously why is Pavs playing?

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
It drives me nuts everytime I see this..

PM has lost his mind.

If it were me, I like

Ehlers - Scheif - Laine

Trouba - Enstrom

Then

MP - Little - Wheeler (in front)

Buff and Morrisey.

Seems pretty straightforward to me but I sure as hell am not an NHL coach :shakehead

Enstrom instead of Petan? Nah

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Not really. I mean, it was - but had they not scored on it people would have forgotten about it and dismissed it by the next shift just as people are wont to do with the majority of giveaways.

It's like suspending or ejecting a player solely because an injury was suffered. It shouldn't really matter whether your two-hander to the wrist caused an injury or not, the act itself is what should be measured.

I'm not saying Laine doesn't deserve discipline for the intercepted pass - it's just silly to roast him for it and not the next guy who does the same thing but is more fortunate when the puck hits the post.

I don't disagree with what you've written, but re: the bolded, I think that his atrocious backcheck after the interception and his overt reaction/gesture after the goal do warrant the discipline.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I am pretty on board with this, I didn't expect this team to be very competitive this year but some of these decisions are ridiculous. The return of Pavs, his horrible play, and the decision to keep playing him are absolutely ridiculous. I honestly have no idea what they're thinking.

Why is this happening? Seriously why is Pavs playing?

I've been a strong supporter of Maurice but the whole Pavs thing has really perplexed me and shaken my confidence in the coach.

I think that calling Pavs up to staunch the bleeding was the right call at the time, and it did appear to spark the team to some better play. But after Helle had a very strong performance against Chicago I have no idea why Pavs was back in right away, and then after his performance in Colorado was in against Minnesota. Even prior to that, while it worked out, I starting Pavs on back-to-backs was totally indefensible.

OutsideLookingIn

Feb 9, 2010

Maybe that has changed now somewhat as he has finally been given more appropriate assignments, but how do you think feels about the Jets going forward, seeing the lack of attention to easy to fix details by our GM. And seeing all the ridiculous roster decisions, foreward & defensive schemes, PP & PK roster decisions, etc, etc, coming from our coaches?

And who is next among our young guns to express that frustration when they go to sign their next contract?? That's where the lack of action & attention to detail will really come back to haunt us.

Wasted careers of good players like Little, Wheeler, and Enstrom has to influence players like Trouba. Add in the leadership of Buff or lack there of, and his position as the #1 RD, both in PP time and ice time. Plus not solving the goaltending issue that hasn't been resolved in five years, with no solution in site. A number of young guys could want out based on what happens with Trouba.

The Jets control Trouba for three years, but years two and three could be really expensive if he goes to arbitration. If that happens, does his trade value starts going down when he gets closer to becoming a ufa.

Villert

Dec 29, 2009
I don't disagree with what you've written, but re: the bolded, I think that his atrocious backcheck after the interception and his overt reaction/gesture after the goal do warrant the discipline.

Yup, that's fair enough. What I said was more in reference to the poster rather than Maurice's decision.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
If my cross ice pass was intercepted and resulted in a goal, I'll bet I'd make the same gesture - it wouldn't be towards the goalie though. It'd be because of my gaffe - I could very easily argue that Laine's reaction was self-chastisement, versus being grumpy about Pav letting in that goal.

I agree. That gesture seems more like overall frustration, not waving an accusatory hand at Pavelec.

Having said that, why should hockey be exempt from PDA's? That's public displays of accusation, BTW. Look at soccer. Hardly a Premier League game goes by where I don't see some fit of pique directed at a teammate. Goalies yelling at their defenders after a goal is scored, forwards yelling at the player who botched an easy pass to send them in on goal. There's none of this "we're all a team, and we'll keep any disagreements in the locker room" BS. Your mate screws up, it's OK to let him know it. They'll just hug it out at some point, and head off for a few pints of Guinness.

Even on this side of the pond, it's not uncommon to see QB's and receivers give each other a bit of on-field action when somebody "got their signals mixed up". Maybe not something you want to be doing on a regular basis, but sometimes I think it wouldn't hurt to have some honest outbursts of emotion to maybe get someone's head back in the game.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
This makes absolutely no sense, playing Buff and Trouba more equitably has nothing to do with playing Postma more. Simply play Buff less and Trouba more, it's not hard math. :shakehead

Buffs Avg ice has gone down since Trouba arrived and Trouba has had his steadily increase. It's been small. I think Trouba is up from 22 to almost 25 and Buff is down from just under 30 last time I checked.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Buffs Avg ice has gone down since Trouba arrived and Trouba has had his steadily increase. It's been small. I think Trouba is up from 22 to almost 25 and Buff is down from just under 30 last time I checked.

There is also the option to give Morrissey more special teams minutes and Buff less of those.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
My point was it wasn't everyone as you noted, maybe try using less absolute language.

As far as this place being an echo chamber of false narratives, that works both ways.

Do you just decide to rail against me for using absolutes or do you do it with everyone because there is an a ton of absolute language language about a variety of subjects on this board and quite a few times is false.

I suggest you really read this thread from the beginning like I did this morning. Perhaps you will understand my point better.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
The thing that is so disheartening is that when you watch that game last night against the best of the West, our skaters outplayed their skaters. It wasn't close. Yeah, the game in Colorado was a joke but recently our skaters have been even to better than the other side on most nights. We are winning sometimes despite Ondrej '3 or more' Pavelec and the Osterizer Blenderman Deluxe - Paul Maurice.

I feel like we are playoff team with average goaltending. We might even be a top 10 team if we had average goaltending and an experienced, winning coaching staff. We just have no way of knowing because Chevy doesn't like to try to fix stuff.

Afterall, that's not his job. Oh, wait a minute?!?.....

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

I know, what does that have to do with Postma having to play more? Which is what you were saying.

Incidentally, Postma's last 10 game stretch represents his lowest atoi for any other stretch this season.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Understood. But I would be interested to hear your opinion on whether he should have been sort of benched for making the disparaging gesture towards the team's goaltender during the game. To me it was an appropriate action by Maurice.
If that is what he did I would've benched him for the remainder of the game.....how many goals has he been responsible for???....you don't see the goalie pointing at him when he gives the puck up at his blueline when he is up 5 men to 3 and he is the last man back and the goalie bails him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad