Player Discussion Tim Stützle - LW/C - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
With all due respect he wasn't drafted third overall for 40 points. That's inexcusable in his sophmore year. That's Connor Brown and Tierney type of numbers.. Right now Stutzle's game isn't translating to the NHL..

He's still a teenager. You have to factor that into the equation.

He's not a 24-year-old sophomore.

Reactions: Adrianopolous

Adrianopolous

Oct 5, 2017
Delray Beach, Florida
Crappy linemates as an excuse for why Stu isn't producing is starting to lose weight. He needs to be a line driver that elevates those around him. Paul and CBrown aren't scrubs, they skate hard and create space for Stuetzle while showing hustle. It'd be nice to see Stuetzle show the same work ethic they do on the ice and produce results. Forget the peers from his draft. If we want this season to be a step towards the right direction, Stuetzle needs to actually do something. Also, DJ Smith needs to stop being so stubborn, change up the lines cuz it ain't working rn.
And when Stutzle has been playing with the better offensive players (Norris, Bath, Tkachuk Chabot),
we've all seen that he's a step behind them, while also prone to losing possession of the puck. He doesn't shoot well and his passes are hitting legs, so I understand why DJ is looking for some separation..

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Jimmy needs to be put in more of a position to succeed.

He needs to be given Batherson or Norris to play with.

Being saddled with guys like Tierney is just brutal

Yep - he’s gone from a season with White to a season with Tierney.

Reactions: DJB

Senovision

May 23, 2011
Relax everyone, Lafreniere who was the number one pick and had superstar hype has 4 pts. Timmy has 5 pts
Give him time.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Critiquing Stu doesn't mean we think he's a bust or needs to be moved. Its recognizing how he's playing somewhat meh at the moment. Yes having better line mates can help, but at the same time he needs to be the line driver. That expectation comes with being a 3rd overall pick and having some of his peers and similar types of players producing better. As I said before, if we are to have sustainable success and be competitive, he needs to be a part of that as the main offensive threat.

I also think Smith and Dorion is to blame here to a certain extent. Stuetzle is good at getting out of our own zone, but loses track of it. Having a a vet on his line like Giroux or another puck mover on the ice like Brannstrom can help take the pressure off him and allow him to focus on his positioning as well and not just constantly rely on his skill.

I want Stuetzle to succeed and show that he's worth the big $, but for all the hope, gotta keep the critique the same.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
Well the silver lining from all this is that it will make his extension contract a little cheaper for us :dunno:
But yeah, he needs to show more improvement and growth. If he's truly elite, he also needs to become the line driver, I was expecting him to be able to carry other less talented forwards on his line, but right now he can barely carry himself. Strength and shooting needs to be priorities for him this offseason.

Reactions: Sicko and aragorn

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
This thread is going to be a lot of fun to look back on in a year or two.

I give it a few weeks before some of these takes look ridiculous. Everything is so reactionary with little basis in reality.

Stuetzle looks better this year than last. And last year much of the commentary was about how Ottawa got the best player in the 2020 draft. Laf wasn't given ice time and Byfield is a project. But now Raymond comes over and starts putting up points, Stuetzle hasn't been and omg the sky is falling.

He's going to be a star and clearly showing that now even though he doesn't have much to show for it in the stat sheet. I really have to wonder what others are seeing that's so distressing. Not surprising though, I remember years of complaints about how bad the Sens were when they were one of the best teams in the NHL. There are those that believe if you're not dominating every shift and scoring at will, you're garbage.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Aside of Batherson, Stutzle is probably the only forward that we see from game to game create thing on his own.

Scoring chances, great passes, beating defenceman with speed. beating defenceman with great stickhandling in the ozone. For every mistake he does, he probably has made 3 good plays.

He has to play with good player either it is Tkachuk, Norris, Batherson or Pinto when he get back.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Sophmore slumps happen and playing with a revolving door of bottom 6 centres doesn't help young players shine. I'll hold my judgement until he gets consistent playing time with a top 6 pivot (that has more than 12 games experience). If we are having these same issues next year when Pinto is a more proven player or we acquire a skilled centre then I think we can start having the "should we be worried about Tim Stützle" conversation. Anything earlier is just a needless overreaction.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Stutzle Norris Batherson
Tkachuk Pinto Brown
Paul Tierney Formenton
Sanford Gambrell Watson

Get Stutzle making plays with offensive players. Best for his development , best for the team going forward.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Well I certainly
Hope the Internet scouts weren’t right about Raymond > stutzle

let’s see how Rossi does up against stutzle

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020

Well I certainly

Again quality of linemates plays a big role in these (just look at Chabot's player card when paired up with Zub vs Zaitsev). Raymond gets consistent top line even strength minutes with the best players on the Wings and Stü is currently playing with a split of Nick Paul and Chris Tierney at centre (and getting worse deployment). Brown is the best linemate Stü has gotten consistent minutes with and I would argue hes more a great bottom 6 player than a creative offensive top 6 player.

It's too easy for everyone to overreact right now. The team is struggling and Stü not having appropriate linemates (our depth is terrible and couldnt hand injuries) is likely at least part of the reason. That's not an indictment of the player but of the makeup of the team. Stü is too young to be carying bottom 6 forwards into offensive relevancy but the simple fact that the eye test shows a player that is creating offensive chances more often than not when he's on the ice tells me all I need to know. It will come with time.

2XPRO31

Jul 13, 2007
He's not really a sophomore as he hasn't played a real season of NHL hockey. Stutzle is still a rookie in my eyes experiencing the NHL for the first time. He's creating a lot of chances out there just needs to shoot more

Reactions: Nova Stutzlia

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Someone watch Raymond's points. He's very creative but a few of his goals literal empty nets. Some of his passes are just small dishes where the other player makes an incredibly shot/play.

Stutzle has done all that and more, Raymond is playing with much better, much more physically mature linemates. Stop this nonsense and quit the comparison.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Well I certainly

Raymond and Rossi are good prospects in there own right. How they do shouldn't be relevant to Stutzle, his career won't be defined by how he does relative to others from his draft class.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Jimmy needs to be put in more of a position to succeed.

He needs to be given Batherson or Norris to play with.

Being saddled with guys like Tierney is just brutal

The caveat is, Norris and Batherson are still trying to establish themselves physically as well. That's probably DJ's biggest incentive for keeping Tkachuk there; Batherson and Norris still get badly beat from time to time and are trying to be physically mature themselves. Putting the guy who is the least physically mature with them is just too much. I agree we should put Batherson with him though.

Tkachuk-Norris-Brown
Stutzle-Pinto-Batherson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad