Player Discussion Tim Stützle - (C) - Part VI

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
If point pace is the only thing you are using in evaluation of what's being asked between the two coaches, sure

I am not actually

How ever, I still see the same old Stutzle that was under DJ, with same old mental breakdowns, especially on the defensive side of things, missing assignments, and lazy efforts.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I am not actually

How ever, I still see the same old Stutzle that was under DJ, with same old mental breakdowns, especially on the defensive side of things, missing assignments, and lazy efforts.
If only Derek brassard was still around. Is there someone like brassard we could swap stutzle for?

• Haha
Reactions: Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I am not actually

There's definitely some changes to his game,

He's blocked more shots, hit more, and gotten more takeaways under Martin, significantly more actually. He's certainly been more engaged physically than he was to start the year.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
There's definitely some changes to his game,

He's blocked more shots, hit more, and gotten more takeaways under Martin, significantly more actually. He's certainly been more engaged physically than he was to start the year.

It's going to be a time for adjustment. You go from his rookie year to his sophomore season where his point totals weren't great but you saw the potential by season 2. Third year he realizes it with talented top 6 wingers. Now Jacques Martin is preaching defense and it's clear we're grooming him for center while Giroux takes care of the faceoffs.

If there isn't somewhat of a rebound next year it's time to start worrying.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
I am not actually

I do see what you see - the things he's been struggling with all year, under both coaches. Trying to do too much. Being too emotional.

On top of that I also see a player that is responding to his current coach. I hear it in his interviews - he's learning to contribute away from the puck when he's not on the score sheet. To be more defensively responsible.

Not to beat a horse to death, but as others have said, he tries to play right in the edge of his capabilities. Sometimes (and sometimes more often than not this year), it doesn't work out for him. Cest la vie. He'll continue to grow and learn, and I'm excited for that.

I would rather he struggle this year while learning to be more responsible, than have him turn into a one dimensional player in 5 years that only focuses on offense.

He's got growing pains. We've all been there.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
5th straight game over 21 min, 3 of those are the second half of a back to back, the other 2 are the first half. Lower the ice time and let him focus on building a foundation of what he needs to do to be a more complete player. Over playing him when you need offense isn't creating good habits.

Reactions: jg729

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

The worst legacy of Bryan Murray here is he got the fans to redirect their frustrations with incompetent management and coaching out on the players.

Losing is frustrating and this sucks, but Timmy is not the problem

Same things we’re said about McKinnon. Go to the pregame shows pre Sweden trip with EK a when we traded for Duchene and Avs sucked Ass and it was all “Colorado is going nowhere with a puck hog and hilite machine like McKinnon”

Now the same guys are picking him to win the scoring race

Reactions: Senator Stanley

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
The worst legacy of Bryan Murray here is he got the fans to redirect their frustrations with incompetent management and coaching out on the players.

Same things we’re said about McKinnon. Go to the pregame shows pre Sweden trip with EK a when we traded for Duchene and Avs sucked Ass and it was all “Colorado is going nowhere with a puck hog and hilite machine like McKinnon”

This is what is interesting. People in another thread were talking about needing that special guy. After his rookie season MacKinnon was lambasted for 4 years. His 5th year he finally rebounded.

It is what it is. Stutzle can become another MacKinnon story where you see the potential early and he explodes in his mid 20s by adapting to new coaching and with the rise of Sanderson but that's on him.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
This is what is interesting. People in another thread were talking about needing that special guy. After his rookie season MacKinnon was lambasted for 4 years. His 5th year he finally rebounded.

It is what it is. Stutzle can become another MacKinnon story where you see the potential early and he explodes in his mid 20s by adapting to new coaching and with the rise of Sanderson but that's on him.

Also Mckinnons game really took off when they traded Duchene - probably because his maturity was there to take the next step but should be noted the Avs did major surgery on their roster before they became a playoff team - and of course Makar put them over the top

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Also Mckinnons game really took off when they traded Duchene - probably because his maturity was there to take the next step but should be noted the Avs did major surgery on their roster before they became a playoff team - and of course Makar put them over the top
I thought mackinnon changed his diet(?)

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site

This is a very good point. Fans in Ottawa have always been irrationally hard on certain players (Spezza, for example), but this is as bad as I can remember it.

Watch out, Jake Sanderson, because if they can turn on Tkachuk and Stutzle they can turn on anybody.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Man I don't know what to say about Stutzle anymore after seeing him completely unable to score twice on gimmies

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
5th straight game over 21 min, 3 of those are the second half of a back to back, the other 2 are the first half. Lower the ice time and let him focus on building a foundation of what he needs to do to be a more complete player. Over playing him when you need offense isn't creating good habits.
Stutzle's average icetime over 61 games is 21:07.

His average TOI has gone down to just over 20; almost 1 minute from Jan 1 to now. His usage ahead of the coaching change was greater as seen in his average TOI vs his TOI since January 1st.

You could have a point but you could also be over stating it... I am not going to argue that there is zero chance more play results in more fatigue but I am also not equating moments in the game where fatigue is an obvious factor. Its a possible factor but not necessarily a factor in Stutzle's case. You've brought it up about 5 times since the game last night .. Its a maybe and it certainly would not be the same across all players. I know I would definitely be sucking wind for example.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Stutzle's average icetime over 61 games is 21:07.

His average TOI has gone down to just over 20; almost 1 minute from Jan 1 to now. His usage ahead of the coaching change was greater as seen in his average TOI vs his TOI since January 1st.

You could have a point but you could also be over stating it... I am not going to argue that there is zero chance more play results in more fatigue but I am also not equating moments in the game where fatigue is an obvious factor. Its a possible factor but not necessarily a factor in Stutzle's case. You've brought it up about 5 times since the game last night .. Its a maybe and it certainly would not be the same across all players. I know I would definitely be sucking wind for example.

Yes I originally mentioned it in the GDT and posted in this thread as I felt it would be a more appropriate thread to continue the discussion. Not so sure what is contentious about bringing up the topic in a more appropriate thread. Maybe you are misunderstanding my point, im not using it as a strike against the coaching staff. That’s not the intention of any of my posts.

I want to see Stutzle play a more complete game, I think bringing his ice time down could help. I get that the team is better with him on the ice and as much as I want to see the team win rather than lose, for the development of the player I think it’s something to consider and worthy of conversation.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Yes I originally mentioned it in the GDT and posted in this thread as I felt it would be a more appropriate thread to continue the discussion. Not so sure what is contentious about bringing up the topic in a more appropriate thread. Maybe you are misunderstanding my point, im not using it as a strike against the coaching staff. That’s not the intention of any of my posts.

I want to see Stutzle play a more complete game, I think bringing his ice time down could help. I get that the team is better with him on the ice and as much as I want to see the team win rather than lose, for the development of the player I think it’s something to consider and worthy of conversation.
Stuetzle is 9th in ice time amongst forwards. 8th in ice time at 5 on 5.

When I look at the names around him in TOI, what this team needs is for Stuetzle to be considered equivalent to those kinds of names. I thought/hoped he'd take a step up from last year but that hasn't really happened. Might be because of injury.

Idk. Maybe dialing it back 3 minutes a night and developing a more complete game and then upping the ice time might help him. But the bottom line is if we're expecting that he's amongst the top dozen or so forwards in the game, then his TOI numbers are going to be in that 21-22 range.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
A 90pt centre and his skill set is something every team wants but he plays like an absolute ***** sometimes.
I think it's down to health and lack of chemistry with his linemates:

- if he can't shoot properly because of whatever is ailing him, he has a lot fewer options;
- and if his linemates had a better idea of what he's doing, they'd offer him better options.

At this point why not put Kubalik on his wing, and see what happens? We know dude can shoot. He clearly must have some instinct as to where to go given his pedigree, provided he has a good playmaker who can find him. The only problem is we don't have a RW who has grit/size/defense mentality to make space for them and let them do their thing. Damn, this team is so badly put together.

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
That is why you're not the GM
It was a yoke!

Stuetzle is 9th in ice time amongst forwards. 8th in ice time at 5 on 5.

When I look at the names around him in TOI, what this team needs is for Stuetzle to be considered equivalent to those kinds of names. I thought/hoped he'd take a step up from last year but that hasn't really happened. Might be because of injury.

Idk. Maybe dialing it back 3 minutes a night and developing a more complete game and then upping the ice time might help him. But the bottom line is if we're expecting that he's amongst the top dozen or so forwards in the game, then his TOI numbers are going to be in that 21-22 range.
I think Stutzle sometimes tries to do too much; he wants to win and tries very hard but some of his mates don't. He seems to have some chemistry with Giroux and I think those two should always play on the same line.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
It was a yoke!

I think Stutzle sometimes tries to do too much; he wants to win and tries very hard but some of his mates don't. He seems to have some chemistry with Giroux and I think those two should always play on the same line.
He definitely tries to do too much. Comes from basically zero coaching for the first 3.5 years of his career.

Reactions: senswon and Cosmix

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad