Player Discussion Tim Stützle - (C) - Part VI

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
He definitely tries to do too much. Comes from basically zero coaching for the first 3.5 years of his career.

Lets not forget he played pretty much the same way in the World Juniors. Not sure what his game was like in the DEL.

Growing up I imagine he has been by far the most skilled and impactful player on his team. He is used to carrying the offensive burden and being somewhat of a one man show.

Even last season when he really broke out. The team started winning when he was dominating offensively.

Unfortunately his style needs some tweaking to really push the team forward. Needs to simplify his game and calm the F down when things don't go his way.

Also needs to stop on pucks better. Stay on the right side of the puck defensively and be patient. He will play a real solid game, and then cheat or make a bad giveaway that costs a goal against way too often.

New coaching will certainly help. More support around him player personal wise in skill and depth would be nice.

A big off-season is needed. He has been battling some injuries it appears. Also getting pushed off pucks and losing his edges too often.

Added strength and balance will make a massive difference in his ability to play his game.

An off-season season to reset mentally as well. He is clearly very frustrated with his own play and the lack of team success. Confidence plays a huge part in his high-speed game where his hands, feet, and brain all have to be synchronized and working at a very high pace.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Yes I originally mentioned it in the GDT and posted in this thread as I felt it would be a more appropriate thread to continue the discussion. Not so sure what is contentious about bringing up the topic in a more appropriate thread. Maybe you are misunderstanding my point, im not using it as a strike against the coaching staff. That’s not the intention of any of my posts.

I want to see Stutzle play a more complete game, I think bringing his ice time down could help. I get that the team is better with him on the ice and as much as I want to see the team win rather than lose, for the development of the player I think it’s something to consider and worthy of conversation.

Timmy had always been a player that creates way more offence than he finishes. He’s been like that since he got here - he’s not a natural finisher and he has more moves then finish.

But still love him - if you put a puck control player like Marner or Ehlers on his wing who could hold the puck while Timmy does his triple axels in the O zone getting into position he’d easily score 40 every year

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Timmy had always been a player that creates way more offence than he finishes. He’s been like that since he got here - he’s not a natural finisher and he has more moves then finish.
To be fair, he has a helluva a shot. Like Spezza, he makes too many plays and if he was a bit more selfish with the puck could improve in that aspect

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Strange things happen. At this point byfield is the better player. Expecting stutzle to be better next season.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

But still love him - if you put a puck control player like Marner or Ehlers on his wing who could hold the puck while Timmy does his triple axels in the O zone getting into position he’d easily score 40 every year

Different topic than what I was talking about but I do disagree here. Stutzle's game is about having the puck on his stick and creating. I'm sure he could benefit from playing with a player like Marner and Ehlers. In terms of zone entries and zone exits among forwards he ranks highly league wide, I'm not sure why you would want to take the puck out of his hands. Decision making has to be better with the puck though, he can be guilty of having the puck on his stick for too long at times.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Different topic than what I was talking about but I do disagree here. Stutzle's game is about having the puck on his stick and creating. I'm sure he could benefit from playing with a player like Marner and Ehlers. In terms of zone entries and zone exits among forwards he ranks highly league wide, I'm not sure why you would want to take the puck out of his hands. Decision making has to be better with the puck though, he can be guilty of having the puck on his stick for too long at times.

Adding an elite player to his line I think is a good idea. Especially a puck control guy. Timmy needs to work on one thing in the zone and that’s being quiet when he doesn’t have the puck and disappearing for a few seconds and popping up into a scoring chance.

He could really work on not having the puck in the O zone IMO and being more quiet. Adding an elite puck control player to his wing and like I said - he scores 40 easily

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Adding an elite player to his line I think is a good idea. Especially a puck control guy. Timmy needs to work on one thing in the zone and that’s being quiet when he doesn’t have the puck and disappearing for a few seconds and popping up into a scoring chance.

He could really work on not having the puck in the O zone IMO and being more quiet. Adding an elite puck control player to his wing and like I said - he scores 40 easily
Disagree , why would you put two elite puck control guys on same line. Spread that out. Tim is the best puck control guy on the team.
Playmaker, scorer, and a grinder/ board battler with skill and defensively responsible.
Having two puck carrier/control guys for 1 puck not the best use of assets.

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Disagree , why would you put two elite puck control guys on same line. Spread that out. Tim is the best puck control guy on the team.
Playmaker, scorer, and a grinder/ board battler with skill.
Having two puck carrier/control guys for 1 puck not the best use of assets.

So you’re saying having an elite winger with Timmy is a bad idea like having a puck control guy like Alfie play with Spezza?

Having someone to help Timmy score 40 which makes us a better team is a bad idea - you’d rather Timmy just man up and score 40 all by himself because he’s getting paid that way?

I’m all about adding elite puck control to this team - i think it’s to good of an idea for some

Reactions: Cosmix

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
So you’re saying having an elite winger with Timmy is a bad idea like having a puck control guy like Alfie play with Spezza?
Spezza, Heatley and Alfie just like I described, a well balanced line.

Puck control/carrier guy (spez)
A shooter/scorer (heater)
And a guy who can grind and win board battles with skill and responsible defensively. (Alfie)

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Spezza, Heatley and Alfie just like I described, a well balanced line.

Puck control/carrier guy (spez)
A shooter/scorer (heater)
And a guy who can grind and win board battles with skill and responsible defensively. (Alfie)

Oh, you consider Alfie a grinding guy and I see him as our best forward ever and a HOF. So let’s end this because Alfie to me isn’t defined as a board battle grinder guy

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
To be fair, he has a helluva a shot. Like Spezza, he makes too many plays and if he was a bit more selfish with the puck could improve in that aspect
We could use an offensive player like Spezza. He was a very creative and effective puck possession player. We only have one such center in Stutzle. Norris and Pinto are not that type of player. Celebrini would be perfect.

In addition to players who play well without the puck, we need a puck control player who can maintain puck possession in the O zone to lessen our ice time defending in the D zone.

Oh, you consider Alfie a grinding guy and I see him as our best forward ever and a HOF. So let’s end this because Alfie to me isn’t defined as a board battle grinder guy

I see Alfredsson as a great two-way player; not the best offensively but a great combination of O and D play. I agree with you that Alfie was not a grinder; he did play the defensive role on his line with Heatley and Spezza.

Strange things happen. At this point byfield is the better player. Expecting stutzle to be better next season.
Byfield was impressive in his last game against us. Great big body player.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Reading comprehension again .
Conveniently left out skill and defensively responsible, shocking.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Reading comprehension again .
Conveniently left out skill and defensively responsible, shocking.

Easy smarty pants,If anybody here has comprehension problems with hockey terminology, it’s you. if you asked fans most people they would describe Alfie as an elite offensive player and nobody would describe him a grinder like you did

• Haha
Reactions: Golden_Jet

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Came across a random stat on reddit. Stu is 46.3% on even strength face offs, 62.5% on the PP, and 53.% when SH (less than 30 faceoffs on the PP and SH each). He really needs to be better on the dot next year.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Came across a random stat on reddit. Stu is 46.3% on even strength face offs, 62.5% on the PP, and 53.% when SH (less than 30 faceoffs on the PP and SH each). He really needs to be better on the dot next year.
Might be a matter of sample size,

He's only got 24 faceoffs on the PP and 15 on the PK vs 432 at ES

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
This is an interesting comment from Marty St. Louis on what a #1C is. It was in reference to Suzuki whom he considers a #1. I think Timmy has some learning to do to get there.

For me, it’s a guy that, as a coach, you feel safe when he’s on the ice,” St. Louis said. “And not safe in the sense that we’re not going to get scored on, but he’s going to control the game and he’s going to do the job defensively. He’s going to win faceoffs. He’s going to do what the game is asking him to do at the time on the ice with whatever is happening. Usually, a No. 1 centre’s a guy who reads the game really well, understands the game inside the game, the clock and the score and all that. If you’re chasing the game, he understands that he might have to take a little more risk. If we’re winning the game, he’s gotta manage that. It’s a lot of things. But I think, as a coach, having a No. 1 centre is a good feeling to have.”

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
This is an interesting comment from Marty St. Louis on what a #1C is. It was in reference to Suzuki whom he considers a #1. I think Timmy has some learning to do to get there.

For me, it’s a guy that, as a coach, you feel safe when he’s on the ice,” St. Louis said. “And not safe in the sense that we’re not going to get scored on, but he’s going to control the game and he’s going to do the job defensively. He’s going to win faceoffs. He’s going to do what the game is asking him to do at the time on the ice with whatever is happening. Usually, a No. 1 centre’s a guy who reads the game really well, understands the game inside the game, the clock and the score and all that. If you’re chasing the game, he understands that he might have to take a little more risk. If we’re winning the game, he’s gotta manage that. It’s a lot of things. But I think, as a coach, having a No. 1 centre is a good feeling to have.”
He definitely is an immature player. He's also 2.5 years younger than Suzuki. His raw talent is undeniable he's just really immature as a player.

This team needs a good teacher, whether that's in the form of a full time coach or a good solid veteran to teach him the ropes. This applies to the rest of the young guys on the team as well.

Reactions: lang006

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend

Stu is definitely not there yet. Has the skill no doubt. His strength on the puck, management of the puck, awareness of game situation all need work. He will need to master his emotions on the ice and not be so impacted by everything that goes wrong, while still bringing his fire.

Lots to work on. Adding strength, balance, and maturity will go a long way though.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
His game tonight showed he has a long way to go.

I'm a believer but he is putting himself in bad spots to get hit, whining with bad body language and over handling the puck almost every time he touches it now.

Hopefully this is his version of a sophomore slump because we need him to be way better.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
He needs the new coaching staff stat. This has been a mentor loss, with a temporary replacement who has taught them a lot about details and basics, but this kid especially needs the new full time coaching staff in place who have a vision and are ready to get these guys focused and learning.

Unfortunately we had none of that this season.

The truth is that despite the best intentions, and whatever teachings they were able to impart, Jacque and Alfie were always place holders, and there is only so far that can take you. I mean the had to keep Cap just so there was a little continuity for the temporary guys.

This next staff will be massive for this team, can’t f*** it up.

Reactions: lang006

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville

I'm a believer but he is putting himself in bad spots to get hit, whining with bad body language and over handling the puck almost every time he touches it now.

Hopefully this is his version of a sophomore slump because we need him to be way better.
Not having a crash-and-banger on his side doesn't help. When he was on the ice today there was no support from his linemates.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton

Pretty much the bolded. I wish he had better on ice awareness and could read opposing team plays. He tries to do too much on his own and teams have him figured out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad