Confirmed with Link: Tim Gleason want return a Caroline (1 yr/1.2)

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
I can't say I disagree with totalkev.

This has been par for the course over the last 8 years. Got defensive problems? Go sign some crap, but some lip stick on it, and hope for the best. At least usually our forward depth isn't so pitiful.

This organization is so predictable. And I don't know how anyone could be excited about this season. I will reserve judgement on RF till at least next summer.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Again though, it's not like this Gleason signing suddenly turned a playoff team into a bottom feeder. Hell, we could have signed anyone in this role and it wouldn't have made a lick of difference in the team's playoff chances.

In order to make the playoffs, the team needs above average performances from its core players and it needs to fill the major holes in the lineup with above average players. The first part might be accomplished, but it will be determined throughout the season, not in July. The second part won't be accomplished, though that's got more to do with PK limiting the budget and JR leaving the organization with a bit of a mess, cap-wise.

Both of these things were known well before the Gleason signing. Hell, they were known well before the draft. So I don't see why there's so much rage/despair at signing a bottom pairing defenseman to a one-year deal or drafting the child of a former player one round too early. Both situations have very little effect on the organization's present situation and its future.

Seems like a lot of wasted energy for nothing.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Here's the thing: this team isn't that far away. That's what's frustrating about seeing mediocre to bad depth signings like this. Eric, Skinner, Semin can score 30. Jordan and Tlusty can score 20-25. Lindholm might hit 20. That's somewhere around 150 goals from 6 players. We know Faulk and Sekera make a good pairing. We know Hainsey is a good number 4. Khudobin had a great year last year and I see no reason why he shouldn't be somewhere around .920-.930 again.

But beyond them? You're relying HEAVILY on broken down players or career AHLers. And if there are injuries, who gets called up? All the young "talent" is already in Carolina, and it's not like there's a lot in the pipeline to begin with.

I don't necessarily blame Francis or PK or the season ticket base for this. Francis is tied by the budget, PK is already shelling out way more than most owners would, and no one wants to pay to see the same team lose again. I mean honestly, can we say this team is any different than the one that ended 2013-14? Lateral, at best.

It's just frustrating to be so close, but have no way of doing anything about it.

Last edited:

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
The best players have to play well. Simple as that. If they do, Canes make the playoffs.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Here's the thing: this team isn't that far away. That's what's frustrating about seeing mediocre to bad depth signings like this. Eric, Skinner, Semin can score 30. Jordan and Tlusty can score 20-25. Lindholm might hit 20. That's somewhere around 150 goals from 6 players. We know Faulk and Sekera make a good pairing. We know Hainsey is a good number 4. Khudobin had a great year last year and I see no reason why he shouldn't be somewhere around .920-.930 again.

But beyond them? You're relying HEAVILY on broken down players or career AHLers. And if there are injuries, who gets called up? All the young "talent" is already in Carolina, and it's not like there's a lot in the pipeline to begin with.

I don't necessarily blame Francis or PK or the season ticket base for this. Francis is tied by the budget, PK is already shelling out way more than most owners would, and no one wants to pay to see the same team lose again. I mean honestly, can we say this team is any different than the one that ended 2013-14? Lateral, at best.

It's just frustrating to be so close, but have no way of doing anything about it.

It is a structure issue created by JR. The Canes are far, far too top heavy on forwards (Staals, Semin, Skinner). Our 7th highest paid forward is McClement making $1 million (and we complain about not having a proper 3rd and 4th line). JR handed out prospects and draft picks like they were going out of style and it shows in team depth.

The problem with being top heavy, as you mention, is that everything hinges on 2-3 guys performing. If Eric Staal plays his mopey, half-assed game then the season is lost. If he plays his hungry, relentless, Playoff-style game then they have a legit chance at the wildcard.

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
The best players have to play well. Simple as that. If they do, Canes make the playoffs.

Bingo. I think we forget that the 2 Staals, Semin, and Skinner are actually great players. Possibly because they haven't quite played the way we all know they can, mostly the Staals, so we tend to forget that hey these are good players. If Ward can clear his issues between the ears, and hopefully he took this offseason to do that, he's actually a damn good goalie. Tlusty and Lindholm aren't spare parts either. And it looks like our 4th line has an identiity. When was the last time you can say this team had an indentity?

It's way easier to clean the front office and coaching staff rather than your whole core. Every guy on this team now has a clean slate. If Peters can come in here day 1 and give them an indentity, I think we'll see the stars actually playing to their potential. How many games have we seen where these guys looked like they had no clue what they were supposed to be doing? Peters learned from the best, and i'm willing to see if he can be that fiery coach this team needs. All Eric needs is a little kick in his ass and I think Peters won't be afraid to do it.

It's not like this team is made up of all 3rd and 4th liners. We do have stars and those stars can get us back to the playoffs.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
It is a structure issue created by JR. The Canes are far, far too top heavy on forwards (Staals, Semin, Skinner). Our 7th highest paid forward is McClement making $1 million (and we complain about not having a proper 3rd and 4th line). JR handed out prospects and draft picks like they were going out of style and it shows in team depth.

The problem with being top heavy, as you mention, is that everything hinges on 2-3 guys performing. If Eric Staal plays his mopey, half-assed game then the season is lost. If he plays his hungry, relentless, Playoff-style game then they have a legit chance at the wildcard.

Agreed.. It is also why players will not come here. Overpaid players that do not perform. Hell the islanders are now a better destination than carolina. So until ward eric and a couple other contracts expire or are traded, the team will be at the bottom. Stock pile draft picks and young talent and wait 5 years. There is a thread on this forum that asks who the bottom five teams will be. Buffalo, florida, and edmonton are pretty much on all posts. Canes are on about 2/3 of the replies... Pretty sad.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
One of Gleason, Harrison, or Liles (preference on the former two) has to be the guy in the press box every night or we're just wasting a year of Murphy's contract. The kid already was ready for a 3rd pairing slot and just got caught up in the numbers game last year, there's no excuse this year. I'm not saying to slot him top 4 or anything (though would he really be that much worse of an option?) just yet, but getting him on our 3rd pairing for the vast majority of the season would be a good step for him and the team.

I'd probably be most comfortable with this though:

Sekera-Faulk
Hainsey-Liles
Gleason-Murphy
Harrison

I see Gleason playing only one of back to back games. There will be players shuffled in and out.....

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
Ironically enough, Ryan Kennedy of The Hockey News has us as one of the 3 most likely teams to be in line to get McDavid. Along with EDM and Buffalo.

I must say, with Eichel and Hanifin also on the card, it would be a heluva good year to stink really bad.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Win-win. Either the players play up to their potential under Peters and we have a good chance of making the playoffs, or they continue to suck and we have a good chance at a really good prospect. Plus, we'll get rid of the deadweight, since it will become obvious this core group of players isn't working.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Ironically enough, Ryan Kennedy of The Hockey News has us as one of the 3 most likely teams to be in line to get McDavid. Along with EDM and Buffalo.

I must say, with Eichel and Hanifin also on the card, it would be a heluva good year to stink really bad.

I would honestly be ecstatic if this team managed to finish bottom 3. I've read that some scouts think Hanifin is the best dman they've seen come through the NTDP. That includes the likes of Suter and Jones. I've embraced the tank. And on top of that we can't forget Pavel Zacha. Bottom 4 or bust.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
Win-win. Either the players play up to their potential under Peters and we have a good chance of making the playoffs, or they continue to suck and we have a good chance at a really good prospect. Plus, we'll get rid of the deadweight, since it will become obvious this core group of players isn't working.

Hello 9th place my old friend...

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

I don't think that is out of the realm of possiblity. Looking at the teams that finished at the bottom, I believe the Canes were among the least improved. If Khudobin's magic wears off and/or Staals/Skinner/Semin have a down or injured year again, a top-3 pick is quite likely.

Although adding McDavid/Eichel and a huge futures haul (blue chip prospects, young talent, high picks) from an Eric Staal trade deadline deal might do wonders for the team long-term.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
This team managed to have some awful seasons from nearly the entire roster and they didn't even land in the top 5. There's no way they'll be bad enough to be top 3 unless they try.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I would honestly be ecstatic if this team managed to finish bottom 3. I've read that some scouts think Hanifin is the best dman they've seen come through the NTDP. That includes the likes of Suter and Jones. I've embraced the tank. And on top of that we can't forget Pavel Zacha. Bottom 4 or bust.

Kylington and Barzal look quite good as well.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
This team managed to have some awful seasons from nearly the entire roster and they didn't even land in the top 5. There's no way they'll be bad enough to be top 3 unless they try.

Agreed. I can't even fathom how bad they'd have to play to finish bottom 3.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

They've never really had a tough division like this though. Even last year, the strong teams in the division struggled early in the season.

We could easily be dead last in the division, which should get us near the Top 3, if not smack dab in the middle of it.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I am amazed people think we will be competing for the #1 pick. It's not going to happen unless Francis decides to have a fire sale or make a trade for it.

Everyone, we are not getting McDavid so just stop it.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I am amazed people think we will be competing for the #1 pick. It's not going to happen unless Francis decides to have a fire sale or make a trade for it.

Kind of silly to say considering the Draft lottery gives every team that misses the Playoffs a chance to move to #1. It is said they are tweaking the Draft lottery odds as well, further increasing the chance of a 2-14 team winning the 1st.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Agreed. I can't even fathom how bad they'd have to play to finish bottom 3.

Khudobin, Skinner, and Semin miss 20+ games with injury. Ward posts a sub 0.900 save % as our #1. Sekera and Tlusty are shipped out at the trade deadline.

Hell, that doesn't even sound unlikely now that I typed it.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013

No one said we are getting McDavid. I think a few of us would just rather finish bottom 5 than go through the inevitable last month push for 9th place.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011

I actually agree with you. But when independent eyeballs look at our team and say we are likely candidates to pick top 3, it makes one wonder.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Independent eyeballs had the Sens dead last two years in a row (were the 8th seed and took NYR to 7 games, best MTL in first round the next year) and then had them winning the division last year (missed the playoffs). I've learned to take them with a massive grain of salt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad