Confirmed with Link: Tim Gleason want return a Caroline (1 yr/1.2)

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
This is just embarrassing. I'd much rather have Bellemore at 800k than Gleason. The guy is declining and has been for quite some time. Why do we always take chances on guys "looking for a revival" etc etc?

Glad to see that Francis is the same as JR too, just brutal.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
If Gleason instead of Bellemore makes or breaks our season it was broken to start with, but I don't feel entirely comfortable with this one.

I'm likely one of the bigger Brett Bellemore fans, but neither a Tim Gleason Signing nor a Brett Bellemore non-signing are making or breaking the season for the Hurricanes. The key for the Hurricanes lies in its top 6, period. They perform and this is a playoff team cause this defense, while not all star by any stretch is absolutely "adequate".

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
This is just embarrassing. I'd much rather have Bellemore at 800k than Gleason. The guy is declining and has been for quite some time. Why do we always take chances on guys "looking for a revival" etc etc?

Glad to see that Francis is the same as JR too, just brutal.

You and Ronnie both, but there was no "Brett Bellemore at $800k" available. He wanted more money than that and more term as well.

Zezima

Jul 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Bellemore is better than Gleason at just about everything and is five years younger. Would anyone really be opposed to giving him a 2 year, 1.5 per deal? Bit of an overpayment but he's a good bottom pairing guy. Remember he played second pairing minutes consistently all last year and looked decent enough. Not perfect, and not a top four guy, but he definitely belongs in the NHL.

But oh well, we signed Tim Gleason. None of this matters now.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
He didn't really do that last year.

tumblr_mbjaxkrJzi1roglxl.gif

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I actually just skimmed this. It's a healthy mix of everything. But there's one poster who outright celebrated the deal who is going to pull up this thread and have his/her heart just sink.

Poor Kev. 500 games of Gleason and he hated every one. :laugh:

Yeah. Went to sleep last night after seeing Luke's tweet and have spent the past 24 hours preparing for this moment.

You guys know how emotionally invested I am in this club. I went to my first game in 1974 at the Big E in Springfield, moved to N.C. only to have the Whalers follow me down here, then ended up working there for four (mostly fun) years. It's virtually impossible at this point for me to *not* care.

So it's with that backdrop that I say that I have never felt this hopeless as a WhalerCanes fan. And that encompasses some truly horrific teams and periods of complete mismanagement. Those of us who have been around for a while know better than to have any hope. We know that we're a playoff team the day they clinch the playoffs.

But I let myself believe in Ron Francis and the new regime. Silly me. I believed his words. I trusted in his abilities as a hockey man. And now barely a month into his tenure, we've drafted a former player's son playing in Plymouth three rounds too high, re-signed a former player who probably otherwise wouldn't have a job in the NHL, and evidently handed the No. 1 goalie job to a guy who is clearly on the wrong side of his career and who's attitude played a large part in torpedoing last season.

**** this.

All that talk about younger, faster, tougher, higher IQ players. Just more of the same. Gleason brings nothing. He is exactly the kind of player we should be avoiding as we try to get better. He does *nothing* to help the current state of the franchise. Absolutely NOTHING.

I waited for this change in leadership for so long, that it's truly heartbreaking that it amounted to rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

Anyhow, I'm done for a while. The Canes won't get another nickle of my money or moment of my time unless and until something changes. And if anyone over there cares about this franchise *at all* and wants to talk to a lifelong fan about the real issues driving people away, I can be reached at theekevinc-at-gmail-dot-com.

I can't truly express how hard it is to not want to have anything to do with this team. It is stunning how bad things had to get for me to *not* care. But that's where I am. I honestly don't care.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Sorry, I just don't buy that someone who has been a fan as long as you have, Kev, will give that up simply because they signed a bottom-pairing defenseman. Especially a couple months into this new GM's regime.

Seems like too much doom and gloom for a season that hasn't even started yet. Not directed at you, Kev, but from many Canes fans in general. Putting too much stock into the moves made in July rather than the play on the ice in Oct.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
Damn sorry to hear that Kev. You and northstar are the 2 posters that often say exactly what I think.

With that said, Gleason at this price and term is not the end of the world bro. We have far bigger issues. #30 is one of em.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
#30's only an issue if his play remains an issue. There's still the chance that it was simply a matter of returning from injury too quickly and that he can still be the goaltender that bailed out the team too many times to count.

If he can't, he's only here for another year or two, and a poor performance by the team this year would likely start a rebuild anyway.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
#30's only an issue if his play remains an issue. There's still the chance that it was simply a matter of returning from injury too quickly and that he can still be the goaltender that bailed out the team too many times to count.

If he can't, he's only here for another year or two, and a poor performance by the team this year would likely start a rebuild anyway.

Well I disagree, to the point that I think the mere presence of his petulant, entitled ass is an issue. But if he does play well it will help mitigate the problem in the sense that someone may actually want to trade for him.

But a buyout was the only way to go here and they blew it.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Sorry, I just don't buy that someone who has been a fan as long as you have, Kev, will give that up simply because they signed a bottom-pairing defenseman. Especially a couple months into this new GM's regime.

Seems like too much doom and gloom for a season that hasn't even started yet. Not directed at you, Kev, but from many Canes fans in general. Putting too much stock into the moves made in July rather than the play on the ice in Oct.

It's not *only* the Gleason signing. It's that if all you'd seen were the transactions, you'd have *no idea* there was a new GM. Nothing has changed. That's why.

And you should really save your "the season hasn't even started yet" or "too much doom and gloom" on your clipboard for easy access. I personally feel that my doom and gloom over the past five years has been right on the button, while your "rainbows and unicorns" attitude has consistently missed the big picture.

I'm sorry, but there is literally *no* reason to have any optimism at all at this point, but you go on with your smart self. You haven't been right about anything yet, but don't let that stop you.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
:laugh:

Yes, I've been rainbows and unicorns. I think you might be confusing me with someone else.

Regardless, giving up on a season before it begins is a fool's tactic, barring a team in an obvious rebuild (ala Buffalo). Yes, we probably won't make the playoffs this year. It would take a stark change in play from many players on the team to accomplish a different result. But somehow, I doubt Gleason will be the major factor why. :laugh:

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
it's all going to start out great.......................how long it takes to all fall apart again is anyone's guess but it will, in a nasty way I think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad