Player Discussion Thomas Chabot (D) Part 2

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Call me crazy but I think a good (and consistent) D partner for Chabot and a good coach can make a world of difference. We’ve already seen flashes since Martin came in.

Probably the smarter investment than selling him off for another bad contract just to say you changed the make up of the roster.
How many coaches and partners does he need? We've heard this song already.

Reactions: Alex1234

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
How many coaches and partners does he need? We've heard this song already.
What partners and coaches would they be? His most tenured partner is Zaitsev, a guy who hasn’t been an NHL quality D for half a decade. He needs a good partner, that’s what we need.

Capuano and Smith have been there since 2019. He’s had the same D coach for the past 5 years.

His partners in the Smith/Cap era have been:

Zaitsev
Demelo - Looked great
Hainsey
Hamonic
JBD
Chychrun (L)
Brannstrom (L)
Zub - Looked great

EK and Ceci when he first came in, both of which looked great.

Zub is the best partner he has had, and they have done quite well together. The rest are guys that it’s not surprising they aren’t working well together. A bunch of guys who are barely in the league, and probably only because it was Ottawa, and then two offensive left shot D.

He hasn’t been given a partner, not once in his career as a Sen. It’s been a rotating cast of cast offs and guys that aren’t suitable for the role. He’s played with Zub, and played well, though I’m not sure I’d ever say they were a made pair. More of a forced pair.

Zub should be played in a shutdown role against the other teams top guys, a role Chabot should not be. Chabot needs a 19/20 minute defensively responsible guy. He's really never been given that in the past 5 years. Hainsey, Zaitsev and Hamonic were those guys a decade ago, but while they were Chabot's partners they were pressbox players.

Last edited:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I'm not sure what any of that has to do with what I responded too aside from the thought that they take on his attitude when he's in the lineup, which I definitely don't agree with

If you think I'm letting Chabot slide vs others, not sure what to tell you. He has some very bad games, like all the guys on the team.

I definitely have a higher opinion of him than the general sentiment on the board, though that's not to say that opinion is extremely high, just that the sentiment on the board is much, much lower than his actual play IMO

I’d be very happy to send him on his way if it improved the team.
That seems reasonable. It seems like the improvements that are required are more widespread.

Taking a look at last night’s results, the Bruins only needed 3 goals to win, but scored six and generated a convincing win over us. Are the three bad goals attributable to just one player such as the goalie which seems quite popular, or is it more widespread? Is hockey a team game?

I wonder if those that expect huge player movement next year will be disappointed if there’s only three or four new faces in the lineup next year?

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - XXX
XXX - XXX

The above is a great (albeit expensive) foundation for an elite team's defense. The trick is to fill out the "XXX" with players who are a good fit.

On Chabot's side, as has been mentioned by many, someone like DeMelo would be sufficient.

JBD seems to be playing more assertively with the puck of late, but he's still not there when it comes to clearing the net area. I'm ok with him on the third line, as long as his partner is someone much more predictable than Chychrun. Brannstrom could be that player, but then JBD needs to up his game physically to compensate for his partner. A Branny - JBD line would play fewer minutes anyway if our top 4 is great, and this should help JBD. And Kleven hopefully is on his way soon, not to mention possibly someone we pick with our first rounder this year...

So the bare minimum for next year should be:

Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - DeMelo
Brannstrom - JBD
Kleven

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
We know we need another top 4 right handed D-man. And we also know it will make anyone that plays with them that much better.

Reactions: DrEasy

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
What partners and coaches would they be? His most tenured partner is Zaitsev, a guy who hasn’t been an NHL quality D for half a decade. He needs a good partner, that’s what we need.

Capuano and Smith have been there since 2019. He’s had the same D coach for the past 5 years.

His partners in the Smith/Cap era have been:

Zaitsev
Demelo - Looked great
Hainsey
Hamonic
JBD
Chychrun (L)
Brannstrom (L)
Zub - Looked great

EK and Ceci when he first came in, both of which looked great.

Zub is the best partner he has had, and they have done quite well together. The rest are guys that it’s not surprising they aren’t working well together. A bunch of guys who are barely in the league, and probably only because it was Ottawa, and then two offensive left shot D.

He hasn’t been given a partner, not once in his career as a Sen. It’s been a rotating cast of cast offs and guys that aren’t suitable for the role. He’s played with Zub, and played well, though I’m not sure I’d ever say they were a made pair. More of a forced pair.

Zub should be played in a shutdown role against the other teams top guys, a role Chabot should not be. Chabot needs a 19/20 minute defensively responsible guy. He's really never been given that in the past 5 years. Hainsey, Zaitsev and Hamonic were those guys a decade ago, but while they were Chabot's partners they were pressbox players.

You forgot Gudbranson. :facepalm:

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I'm liking the bring back Demelo comments. Now someone just has to convince him and the $$ would have to be right.
5 years $4.5 million aav with a signing bonus at the start of each season? We might have to offer even more cash because Winnipeg would be nuts to let him go given his chemistry with Morrissey.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Not sure they need a 8MM$ 4D that needs a certain player to play with to be somewhat effective and plays 60 games per season
I think they can do better

I think if they could do better, they would.

But context is important. If you can trade Chabot and get back a good return then I doubt anyone would be opposed to that. But if you have to retain money or take back another bad contract, and then go replace him too, are you really improving the team? Your best bet is to pair him with someone to improve his game, even if you want to trade him down the road.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
5 years $4.5 million aav with a signing bonus at the start of each season? We might have to offer even more cash because Winnipeg would be nuts to let him go given his chemistry with Morrissey.
That’s an overpay in $$ and term which will be the case for any RD we bring in. Demelo isn’t my first choice but he would be okay.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Too much term and money

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Not sure they need a 8MM$ 4D that needs a certain player to play with to be somewhat effective and plays 60 games per season
I think they can do better
Good thing we will be trading Chychrun then because thats the only player that description fits.

4D, lol. Somewhat effective, lol.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Isn't a bit weird for a 1D to play on the second pairing?
Sanderson is the #1, the guy who’d be anchoring the 2nd pair wouldn’t be the #4.

Nobody would call Theodore, Hanfin, Sergachev, etc #4’s because they play on the 2nd pairing, unless they were hammering a narrative.

Whoever anchors this teams 2nd pair, be that Chabot or whomever, will be the teams #2.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Sanderson is the #1, the guy who’d be anchoring the 2nd pair wouldn’t be the #4.

Nobody would call Theodore, Hanfin, Sergachev, etc #4’s because they play on the 2nd pairing, unless they were hammering a narrative.

Whoever anchors this teams 2nd pair, be that Chabot or whomever, will be the teams #2.
So Chabot could be #4?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
So Chabot could be #4?
No, if he’s here he’s the #2.

If they keep him, he’s anchoring the 2nd pair, and will be 2nd in icetime.

Aren’t many #4d that play 24 mins a night and score at a 50 point pace (23 mins and ~60 point pace under Martin)

If they don’t keep him, someone else will use him to anchor one of their top 2 pairs.

Last edited:

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
No, if he’s here he’s the #2.

If they keep him, he’s anchoring the 2nd pair, and will be 2nd in icetime.

Aren’t many #4d that play 24 mins a night and score at a 50 point pace (23 mins and ~60 point pace under Martin)

If they don’t keep him, someone else will use him to anchor one of their top 2 pairs.
He's not anchoring in Vegas, Colorado, Tampa, Florida
Too prone to defensive gaffes
Not everything is points
Zub is much much more reliable
And pacing for 35 pts with no PP time
And if you factor in salary there is no show

I think he's worst than Sandy and Zub and if by any chance they could get someone like Parayko lets say, I would call him a 4D

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He's not anchoring in Vegas, Colorado, Tampa, Florida
Too prone to defensive gaffes
Not everything is points
Zub is much much more reliable
And pacing for 35 pts with no PP time

I think he's worst than Sandy and Zub and if by any chance they could get someone like Parayko lets say, I would call him a 4D
Well sure, he won’t be anchoring 4 of the top teams with 4 of the best blue lines in the league.

Not everything is points, that should be obvious. Minutes and role given to each player should let you know who is where on the depth chart. Zub is more reliable, that’s his role. A 20-21 minute a night guy who plays tough minutes. And he’s very, very good at it.

Chabot, or whomever will be anchoring the 2nd pair, will be playing ~22/23 minutes a night.

Like this year, Sanderson is playing 23 mins, Zub 21 mins, Chabot 24 and Chuchrun 22:30.

Sanderson will be getting the 24+ role moving forward, Chabot/2nd pair anchor will be getting the 22/23ish role, Zub will keep his 21 mins per game, and whoever they bring in to play the right side on the 2nd pair should be getting 19/20ish.

Last edited:

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Isn't a bit weird for a 1D to play on the second pairing?
If I said wild shit like "Chabot is a 4D who needs a certain partner to be somewhat effective", I'd probably completely make up an argument and attribute it to the person who called me out too.

• Haha
Reactions: Alex1234

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
You see this sort of thing quite a bit - I'm reminded of those Florida Panthers team of the mid 2000's with guys like Nathan Horton and Jay Bouwmeester. Every year people were thinking they were on the cusp of a breakout, but it just never came.

It turns out those guys were more suited to being support pieces rather than core guys that could be built around. In fact, both of those guys went on to win Stanley Cups once they were slotted a little lower in the lineup of a good team.

When you're rebuilding somebody has to be anointed as 'the core', but that doesn't necessarily mean they're good enough to have success in that role.

Iirc, Bouwmeester was Chabot's NHL compatible during his draft year. Turned out to be a very accurate comparison.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad